SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Closing trunk with battery disconnected?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Closing trunk with battery disconnected?

Just a quick question as I'm thinking ahead about storing my car this fall (yes I know I'm early!)

I store it indoors at a location far from my house. So I bring minimal tools to disconnect batteries, then pull both batteries and leave the car for the winter.

I have no problem closing the hood since it's a manual release. But I hate to close the trunk because I'm not sure if I can get it open with the consumers battery disconnected. So I shut the trunk on a block of wood which keeps it open 2"

The problem is when I do this the trunk struts wear out over the winter. I suspect they are designed to be kept in the 'closed' position and when you leave them partly open the gas leaks out past the seals. Then they no longer hold the lid up. I seem to be replacing trunk struts every spring...

Am I able to close the trunk with battery disconnected? I am not sure if the handle (since it's electronic) will work. I know I have opened the trunk with the manual key blade, but if I leave it unlocked completely, can I just put the key blade in (without turning) and push up to open the trunk?

I want to leave the trunk unlocked (car is in a locked storage room so no problems doing so) and just 'pop' it open when I get back in spring. Scared to lock trunk with no battery in it for fear of getting stuck!

I usually bring a jumper pack with me. Wondering if maybe the easy answer is to find the positive power point under the hood (I know my GL and S have one, not sure about the SL) and connect up that jumper pack. That should power the trunk latch so I can open it... right? Then I can put the consumers battery in and be in great shape.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 F250, 2017 Jeep Renegade
Yes you can, if you look closely you will see where the Metal Key goes in the lock and Up Under the License plate is the handle. Test the manual way 1st as I have heard of the lock mechanism rusting on inside and not being usable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Trunk.pdf (179.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by cadbob; 06-21-2017 at 08:03 PM.