SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Location of FM amplifiers

Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
Location of FM amplifiers

I have searched and searched but can't seem to find a diagram or picture that shows where the FM amplifiers are. The only thing I found is there is one on each side up front.

I looked in each side under the dash and the kick panels but didn't see anything. I would like to try and hook up a FM modulator hard wire for aux and Bluetooth.

The only installs I've seen are the gateway's replacing the CD changer.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 07-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
If you have the original Bose Command system still installed, then the amplifier is beneath the passenger side (North American Models) rear storage cubbie. The amplifier is fiber optic and that severely limits your options as there is nothing to hardwire into. That's why you've been unable to find anything other than the gateways. The only other option is a fresh stereo install $$$$ with new wiring, new head unit, new amplifier, & new speakers. The existing subwoofer in the passenger side footwell is compatible for use with a new stereo system.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:44 AM

SL65 AMG
Yes it's the factory Bose system. I'm not looking for the amplifier for the speakers though. I'm looking to add in an FM modulator. Usually you plug it inline with the antenna. From researching we have four antennas in the windshield and they go to two FM amplifiers. From there I guess they go to the AGW but I don't know. If I could find either the FM amplifiers or the AGW I might be able to add it in. Then again maybe not if it is a soldered connection instead of connectors.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 07-29-2017, 02:26 PM

SL65 AMG
Ok, I guess I just needed a good night's sleep. I was able to locate the AGW right next to the CD changer after seeing a post on here. There you can see two antennas plugged in. One white and one black. I unplugged the black one and put the modulator inline there. Worked great. Now I have Bluetooth for streaming as well as an aux port.

You will need a couple of adaptors for Mercedes style connectors. You can get those at any car audio store. It also might depend on what modulator you have. Mine were basic Mercedes to normal antenna and a normal antenna to Mercedes.

I used the fuse block on the passenger side behind the seat to grab power from the 5 amp fuse to the command system. So it is switched 12v.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Originally Posted by rally2
Ok, I guess I just needed a good night's sleep. I was able to locate the AGW right next to the CD changer after seeing a post on here. There you can see two antennas plugged in. One white and one black. I unplugged the black one and put the modulator inline there. Worked great. Now I have Bluetooth for streaming as well as an aux port.
Jeremy
Did you have any issues, with this set up?