SL/R230: rear brakes getting hot.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL 500, 1989 300 SEL
rear brakes getting hot.

jvcbenz , Yesterday 08:31 PM
Replaced rear brakes and rotors on my 2005 SL 500. After driving noticed a burning smell from left rear and rotor was over 300 degrees. Took apart again to inspect everything was in correct. Drove it again and now both right and left rear are getting hot. Left rear close to 400 degrees and right rear around 290. took car to dealer who adjusted and bled rear brakes saying they were now working correct and they are no different. They are puzzled too. Any Help would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by jvcbenz

jvcbenz , Yesterday 08:31 PM
Replaced rear brakes and rotors on my 2005 SL 500. After driving noticed a burning smell from left rear and rotor was over 300 degrees. Took apart again to inspect everything was in correct. Drove it again and now both right and left rear are getting hot. Left rear close to 400 degrees and right rear around 290. took car to dealer who adjusted and bled rear brakes saying they were now working correct and they are no different. They are puzzled too. Any Help would be appreciated.
May be parking break needs to be adjusted?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
I'd jack up a rear wheel, engine off, and spin the wheel and see if it turns freely. If free, lower car, and start it, apply brakes, turn car off, raise it a second time and see if still free. I wouldn't raise car with engine on because I am not sure how abc system will behave but I'd like to know if the rear wheel is ever free to rotate. May need to check both rear wheels, one at a time. Also it might be caliper(s) is not releasing when driving after you apply brakes for some reason. Some darn headache in the sensotronic brake system. Obviously you have brake drag for some unknown reason. If it is both rear wheels doing this you may need to run STAR diagnostics to check for electrical problem. Strange though if it did not occur before you replaced rotors and pads. Keep us posted, the forum has a lot of experienced members.

Last edited by moretech; 11-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 228i
Originally Posted by moretech
I'd jack up a rear wheel, engine off, and spin the wheel and see if it turns freely. If free, lower car, and start it, apply brakes, turn car off, raise it a second time and see if still free. I wouldn't raise car with engine on because I am not sure how abc system will behave but I'd like to know if the rear wheel is ever free to rotate. May need to check both rear wheels, one at a time. Also it might be caliper(s) is not releasing when driving after you apply brakes for some reason. Some darn headache in the sensotronic brake system. Obviously you have brake drag for some unknown reason. If it is both rear wheels doing this you may need to run STAR diagnostics to check for electrical problem. Strange though if it did not occur before you replaced rotors and pads. Keep us posted, the forum has a lot of experienced members.
@Moretech, this sounds like a solid idea. Might also see excessive brake dust build up around the caliber.
Just out of curiosity, I live in the Trussville area -Alabama. I am having issues locating a dealer/CERTIFIED - very important, mechanic to fix some damage I caused when trying to do some maintenance on my back left brake. anybody used mercedes doctor? its behind the mall off deerfoot. their website is https://themercedesdoctor.com/about-...ngham-alabama/

According to my neighbor im a fool for trying to do this repair myself! haha
im very stubborn though. Always looking for ways to save money.

Love

Sarah.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Any shop that states things like this:

"Mercedes-Benz service and repair must be performed according to the guidelines specified by the manufacturer – and performed by professional and certified technicians in order to maintain its warranties."

...would NEVER get my business. That is an absolute lie - the work does NOT need to be performed by certified professionals to maintain your warranty. If you want a better choice, try Momentum in Pelham. They aren't inexpensive, but they are less than the dealer. Whatever you do, DO NOT take it to "Crown" (now Mercedes-Benz of B'ham). They will overcharge you and either not fix the problem, or make it worse.

If you can't find help, let me know. I do some work on the side. I'm in Helena.