SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55AMG
ABC Warning

I have a 2004 SL55AMG with only 50K miles. Didn't move it for about two weeks and got in the car today - turned the key and just after I started the car the left (driver) side dropped and the ABC warning came on. No fluids on the floor. Shut engine down and restarted - no change. ABC warning says not to drive car.
Any idea what I am looking at?
Old 11-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
Just to be sure did both the front left and rear left go down?

moretech
Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM

SL55AMG
Correct- front and rear at the same time
Old 11-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
Ok, I want to see what our other members reply on this one but I doubt a "double" valve body failure. Not very likely at all. I think I'll take a wild guess and say this may be an abc computer problem. However members have told me this is rare. So hang in there and we will get some other comments I'm sure.
moretech
Old 11-11-2017, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
More likely a level sensor than a computer, but either is possible. Often if the front drops, it pulls the rear down too, not as low as the front will be but still way low compared to the other side.

Does the car respond to the height switch? Have you tried moving it at all? Check fluid level?

The car will have a code stored that will help point you in the right direction, have it scanned.
The following users liked this post:
sguelpen (11-13-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 PM

SL500
We had the same problem with our 2006 SL-500. We struggled for almost 2 years with ABC Warnings Messages (2 different ones). We finely took it to the closest MB Dealer to have them run a STAR Diagnostics. They said the front ABC valve block needed to be replaced along with a few other issues and gave us a $10k quote to make the repairs. We paid the $160 diagnostic fee and said we'd think about it. We then took it to our non-dealer, but MB Certified, mechanic to get a second opinion. He called and said that he ran the STAR Diagnostics and that when he traced each fault code to it's root/origin), that every fault code relating to the ABC System was due to low voltage. Obviously the MB Dealer didn't trace the fault codes to their root cause. We don't drive the car every day so it's often in the garage for one to two weeks between use. The mechanic suggested we get battery chargers/maintainers. With a little research we found the manufacturer for the MB bradded maintainers is CTEK. We purchased two CTEK battery maintainers, two CTEK 8' extension cables, and CTEK 2 wall mount brackets for about $200. They have been hooked up for several months now and the car no longer lists to the left nor have we gotten any ABC warning message. Hopefully we won't have to replace the rear/accessory battery every 2 years. The beauty of the CTEK battery chargers/maintainers is that they are smart and charging automatically switches on and off as needed. Hence the name "battery maintainer". If the car is in the garage, the chargers/maintainers are connected. www.ctek.com Hope this helps others.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Agree that the battery might be a possibility. Did you raise your car with the "raise" button? I had a experience similar to yours, but only my front left side would slam to the ground, others staying at full height. That's after a fluid change. Thought it's time to replace the O-rings. Until I bought them and had them shipped to me the problem went away. Does not drop at all since. But I do charge my battery every now and then if I don't drive it.

Other possibility - some debris got caught in the system. Try to raise your car with the button (you have to do that any way to drive it) that will push the debris through the system and catch in the filter. Then see if it will drop again after it sits. Meantime charge your battery. I would start there. Then you'll have a better view of the situation.

Regards

Last edited by Ghostty; 11-24-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM

SL500
The car raises and lowers fine. It will stay in which ever height has been selected. Before the left side would drop slowly over time. No more. In our case, it was solely the accessory battery. Fluid exchange was not necessary or recommended.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:44 AM

SL55AMG
I believe in my case it is a battery issue as well. We jumped the car and after a couple of minutes, I was able to raise it. Car drives fine but I am getting all kinds of random messages. Ordered me a battery charger / maintainer - let's see if that resolves the issue. Thank you all for your input ...and sympathies