SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New Grill w/Star and bumper screen 2009 SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 W210 E55 and 1995 W124 E320 (RIP), 1992 400E, 1991 300E 2.6
New Grill w/Star and bumper screen 2009 SL550

I've read various discussions about what and how to replace these two parts. Today I finished removing both, while replacements through Parts.com head my way. For anyone needing to replace both or either, here's what I learned:

My car (2009 SL550) has the sport package, so the parts are slightly different than Parts.com listed. They contacted me to update me with better numbers based on the vin I provided. By the way, Parts.com lists the old style 3 bar grill. This grill matches the R231 style and number. Tricky.

I ordered
Grill: 23088022839040 (black)
bumper screen: 2308850523 (standard)

Parts.com indicated the correct #'s are:
Grill: 23088022839776 (silver)
bumper screen: 2308852123 (sport)

Once I got both parts off the car, the numbers match Parts.com, except the grill does not list any numbers for the color (9040, 9776, etc.)

As for getting the parts off the car, you do NOT need to pull the bumper off.
(it might be easier due to being less cramped and so easier to fiddle with the clips involved, etc., but you may also need to realign the fog light beams as demonstrated on a youtube I saw, so it seems like its actually more work than the way I went about it).

Access for the grill:
4 screws at the top, visible when you open the hood. NOTE: lift up the rubber surround that rests beneath the washer/screw head. Now you can swing the top of the grill away from the car. This gives you access to reach inside and work on the lower edge of the grill.
Several push-in-to-click plastic tabs in the bottom edge of the grill hold it in place. Easy to scratch the paint if you work from the outside, but I reached inside and forced each tab out and released the grill. I broke one tab, but am replacing it anyway.

As for the bumper screen:
Raise the front of the car to remove the 3 front-most engine covers under the car and against the underside of the bumper. The center cover gives you access to release the screen tabs (same design as on the grill), and the two other covers give access to remove the two "clamshell" type plastic fittings that support the two ends of the bumper screen. These clamshells are held in place by 3 metal clips that pinch onto 3 tabs. These metal clips can be sharp and will cut you. I used pick to pry each tab off, so I could use them again. ALSO there is a small, easily unnoticed push-button that holds the "clamshell" to a bracket that hangs down vertically from above. I broke one push-button and pried one out.

Finished. Tomorrow I replace with new parts. Should be short and sweet.

By the way, my grill was missing one of the silver horizontal bars, that are not sold separately. The bumper screen was full of holes, which I first though were caused by someone kicking it (paranoid?), then I though was from debris in the road, but finally, and admittedly, is most likely due my own negligence when I caught the lower lip on a curb. Pulling out I heard the noise and felt the resistance which most likely was the damage being done.

Hope this is clear and that it helps.

Last edited by black-55; 11-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Post a couple of picture of you SL when you are finished :-)