SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL500 Designo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 2000 S430 and 2003 SL500 (for sale)
2003 SL500 Designo

Hello,

My wife is looking to buy a 2003 SL500 used. I have had a few good offer, however they are all far away. Below I wanted to ask questions about the Designo (Launch Ed) series.

1) I have read that the Nappa Leather seems to have a cat urine smell to them when it gets very hot. Is this true?
2) Is there any major defects or observations I should make when looking at the car, beside the obvious.
3) Does the standred Designo package come with the Parktronics, and the Cruise Control feature?
Old 05-16-2004, 10:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL
I just bought one from Hohen in Carlsbad, CA.

6,000 miles, never plated, still had the floor mats in plastic.

1. No urine smell, and it got to 100 degrees recently...

2. Drive it with the top up, then roll through a parking lot with speed bumps, and only roll the wheels on one side over the bump, do the left then the right. All of the tops creak, pop, etc. It can be cured, but takes a number of trips to the dealership. Since the car will still be under warranty, it can get fixed, but lots of noise might get you a better price.

Look for all the missing stuff... mine had had the 3 cargo nets missing, the windscreen was missing, and the very cool cupholder that goes in the passenger sear missing.. oh, also the NAV cd was missing. (Good news, my very cool salesperson snagged all of these items from other cars, even though this car was technically used and as is)

3. They all come with cruis control... Parktronic was not part of the Designo package. The package included special paint, bi-xenons, the nappa leather, the trick seats with the fans, the massaging function, suede window pillars, door inserts, and headliner. (I'm sure there was something else., oh the wheels are different)

I'm really happy with mine, since the color is distinctive, I've only seen one other one in the same color, in Newport Beach, where Mercedes are as common as air.

Greg
Old 05-17-2004, 02:18 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the information. I went to www.lemonmb.com and got all the misrepresented matrial. I am always scared to buy a used first year model. I have a 2000 S430 which has given me problems however I wouldn't give up the ride of a mbz for anything. Again thanks for the information.

PS. The few used ones avaliable are in Newport Port Beach (Good Call). One is at a dealer called Walters. THe price is very acttractive 78K-74K. I will make sure and do the speed bump test.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:39 AM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
Cool Neat Launch Edition SL 500

I was able to buy the first new 2003 Launch Edition SL 500 in Central Pennsylvania, new at USA launch time in March 2002- Now has 30,000 miles and no problems.

Only after two years of use did the top acquire a minor squeek when driving on very rough back roads; and a trip to the MB Dealer fixed that with some special "lube" they use on the roof gasket--under warranty-- NO adjustments required, and I frequently use (roof feature- open and close) several times a day!

One other "feature" not mentioned above is the neat wooden-trimed steering wheel, and shifter-- I would not have ordered that, but I really like it, now that it was there on the car, and I had no choice. There also is a "cooled" glove compartment and a "Cooled" storage bin aside between seats. (I do not know if this is a uniquel Launch Edition feature)

I really like and admire the very unique color of the car--with different types of sky and ground and surround reflection conditions, the car "acquires" several different colors and appearances during the day----and at at night, when lit by various types of "spectrum lights" on roadways and in parking lots.

The only thing I would have wished for, was a DVD, not a CD Navigation COMAND Nav-Tech system--It is pain driving around North East and East Central USA --when going west of Central PA.----No problem when driving in New England nor south of Virginia---only one CD for all of SE USA!

I am really pleased that I was "selected" by MB to be able to buy this new Launch Edition Model--Only a few were manufactured--and it does have some very unique features (only on this car) like the unique exterior color and unique style (AND SIZE) of wheels. (These special Tapered 5 spoke, sports type wheels cannot be ordered even on the AMG Models of the SL 500) NO other MB vehicle has these features. It also has a very slight rumble to the exhaust--I am not sure if this is unique to the Launch Edition--but I like it!

I do receive so many favorable comments where ever I go, and wherever it is parked--from both men and women, from kids, college students, seniors--very young and very old alike--car with either top up or top down!

This is a truly great car, with great power, and very unique MB features.

Giff Albright of State College, PA, USA- (giffSCPA)
Old 05-18-2004, 03:39 PM

Griff,

Thanks for the inforamtion. I am really loking forward to buying this car now, for my wife. I was just worried or the Urine Smell. She is very picky. Thanks again for all the input. I am set on the Designo Ed. I only wish it had parktronics and distronics. That would of made the car prefect.