SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Navigation update (from US to EU)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
Navigation update (from US to EU)

Hey guys,

I've been asking a few questions concerning my purchase of a US version being shipped to EU. Thanks for the replies thus far! Great community, really.

My next question is regarding the navigation.

My particular car (2011 SL550) has the Comand-APS NTG 2.5 with the single drive DVD. (Option code 512)

Now what I'm wondering is.. Does anyone know if I will be able to update the current US navigation maps in the vehicle to the European ones?

Is the DVD-player in the car perhaps region-coded? So it will only accept R1 (Region 1 - North America) discs? If so, what if I purchase an updated authentic European NTG 2.5 disc, and then I make a region-free copy (DVD-R / DVD+R) for myself. Could that perhaps be a solution to make it work?

Edit: Please note that I do not mean anything about downloading pirate versions of the navigation software; I fully intend to purchase an authentic copy for myself.

Last edited by xclens; 04-05-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW 340i xDrive 2018 MMPSK silver , Cadillac XT5 2018 silver, 09 R320 BT
Originally Posted by xclens
Hey guys,

I've been asking a few questions concerning my purchase of a US version being shipped to EU. Thanks for the replies thus far! Great community, really.

My next question is regarding the navigation.

My particular car (2011 SL550) has the Comand-APS NTG 2.5 with the single drive DVD. (Option code 512)

Now what I'm wondering is.. Does anyone know if I will be able to update the current US navigation maps in the vehicle to the European ones?

Is the DVD-player in the car perhaps region-coded? So it will only accept R1 (Region 1 - North America) discs? If so, what if I purchase an updated authentic European NTG 2.5 disc, and then I make a region-free copy (DVD-R / DVD+R) for myself. Could that perhaps be a solution to make it work?

Edit: Please note that I do not mean anything about downloading pirate versions of the navigation software; I fully intend to purchase an authentic copy for myself.
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, except mine is a 2009 R320 Buetec with the Comand-APS NTG 2.5 but with the 6-disk DVD changer. I've received many comments saying that the US and EU versions are not the same and that I would need to get an EU version of the comand NTG 2.5. I had some communication with Mercedes Canada and was told that a dealership in Europe can change the maps, but I'm not confident that that response is very factual.

For anyone else out there with some insight on this, I'm sure it would be GREATLY appreciated by a few of us doing the move to Europe.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2018, 10:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Taranch - your's is NTG 2.0. Also, I don't think the "data" DVD discs for NAV are region coded like video discs. But I am unsure if the NTG 2.0 or NTG2.5 units work in other regions. There is a forum on *******.com that has a lot of knowledgeable people that might have this info. You do have to pay (make a small one-time "donation") to join the site.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Hey all,

I just wanted to revisit this question once again, as I finally have my American 2011 SL550 with me in Sweden. Now I need the European maps!

Anyone with any knowledge regarding this? A local Mercedes guru told me that all I needed to do was to purchase the latest European disc for the NTG 2.5 system, but I'm not so sure about that?

EDIT: Btw, if it helps, I seem to have the 6-disc changer? It seems as though I can keep adding DVDs in the single slot above the navigation screen, which is totally new to me..

Last edited by xclens; 08-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Yes, you can install up to 6 disks into the single slot on the dashboard CD/DVD player. Try loading a few CD's to get the process figured out.

The map update process on my 2011 E350 W212 (NTG 2.5) requires you to eject the CD from slot 1 of the 6 disc player.
You then put the NAV DVD #1 into this slot, the car sees it is a map update, and the update starts. I believe it loads to a hard drive or memory built into the NAV.
It may require a second disk to be installed (USA does), and gives you a warning to insert disk 2.
It takes about an hour or more to install, so I either leave the car running, or have a high amperage charger hooked up to the battery, and keep the car 'alive' during the process.

Not sure it works for EU disks, or for that matter the R230, but gives you an idea of what to expect when you are ready to install.
Good luck on the install.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the reply, kbob999. I will probably just have to purchase a set of the latest European DVDs to find out. I'll keep you guys posted!