SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: What model was the SL Night Edition available in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 GL350
What model was the SL Night Edition available in?

Can anyone tell me what model / engines the SL Night Edition were available with?

I'm wondering if there was such a thing as an SL63 Night Edition, or was that Night Edition only available on base models?

I'm in the market for an SL63 and would like this package.
Please let me know if I'm chasing unicorns here, because I'm sure it would be a rare model to own and that's what I'm after.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Only the SL550 was made for the Night Edition, and only 100 of them. however, the Matte Black Designo paint could have been ordered on any car.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:31 AM

2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Only the SL550 was made for the Night Edition, and only 100 of them. however, the Matte Black Designo paint could have been ordered on any car.
Thanks for the info Rodney and I just read your brief bio and see you have a 2011 SL550 which is the year I'm after...well I'm looking at any of the newer 2008-2012 R230, but I really want to hold out for an SL63.
Truthfully this was my "Some-Day Dream Car" but now that I'm driving my first Benz, a 2014 GL I'm really liking all the luxury and thinking "Someday" isn't an eighth day of the week

Can you tell me, in your opinion why are the R230 models better than the newer R231 -other than obvious price difference?
Or not better per se, but pros & cons between the 2...in your opinion.

Here's is one I've been lusting after myself: http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/show...4479&d_id=6907
The dealer won't or can't tell me the options list and doesn't have the original window sticker.
If I was tight with my local dealer I'd ask them to run the VIN for me, but they aren't very happy with me always buying my cars from out of town hehehe
Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Personally, I do not like the R231 body as much as the R230. It just looks too "feminine" to me. Otherwise, there are some nice features on the R231, like more modern electronics, and the option to not have ABC (though I actually like ABC).

One thing I will warn you about on the SL63 - get a MY2011 or later. Prior to that, the M156 engines had some nasty problems with head bolts disintegrating and valve lifters freezing. MBZ won;t "goodwill" them anymore, and the price to fix the problem is pretty crazy.
The following users liked this post:
wowchad (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM

2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Rudeney
One thing I will warn you about on the SL63 - get a MY2011 or later. Prior to that, the M156 engines had some nasty problems with head bolts disintegrating and valve lifters freezing. MBZ won;t "goodwill" them anymore, and the price to fix the problem is pretty crazy.
YOU ROCK!
Sincerely, thank you.
I will be updating my 'Someday Dream Car' search settings to narrow it down to 2011 & 2012 SL63's

I agree with the old body style looking better, more masculine in my opinion too.
Truthfully I am not a big fan of all the newer electronics practically driving the car for me. I can't stand all the indicator lights and beeping telling me what to look out for.
I fear we are becoming to reliant on these types of things and increasingly numb to actually paying attention!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
My wife has a new Cadillac XT5 crossover with all that nanny crap on it. The only thing I like are the blind spot warnings. Even though I know how to adjust my side mirrors to eliminate my blind spots, it's still convenient to glance over and see the flashing warning message to know that I need to look more closely. The lane keeping assist is useless. It's too slow and over-reactive. The collision warning system is also too sensitive. Half the time when I'm trying to merge onto the freeway, it kicks in. I prefer to drive myself, and I'll give up my steering wheel when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.