SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Lowering links / SDS lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Is this a "box tune" input? I can input these without measuring with the "ROMESS" tool? So is this a 1/2 inch or inch drop. I have star at my house.
You don't need the Romess tool. These inputs are assuming you measured them with the tool.
Not sure about the height adjustment, but if you don't like them, simply change the Romess angles with the SDS until you like the setting.

I confess I did not do this on mine, as it came with adjustable links when I purchased the car, so I don't know the drop with these settings.
I have made many adjustments on the links getting the range of heights to my liking. Would have been easier with the SDS.
Sharing this so others can make their own adjustments via SDS.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
So is this a 1/2 inch or inch drop. I have star at my house.
I wrote the instructions that kbob999 quoted. They are based upon a combination of my experience and intuition, and they may not work for everyone.

I believe the Romess angles that you are prompted to enter are completely immaterial provided they fit within the range of acceptable values.

The degree to which you lower the car is continuously variable, but you are constrained by the voltages on the level sensors. If any voltage is out of the 2-3 volt range the level adjustment will be rejected.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
So here's a question - if you lower with SDS like this, does i also affect the height when you use the console button to raise the body? The reason I ask is that I go over some hellish speed bumps and railroad tracks need all the height I can get. So, is "raised" just relative to "lowered" or is it a fixed value, so that the full travel between low and high can be expanded this way?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 AM

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
R230
Originally Posted by Rudeney
- if you lower with SDS like this, does i also affect the height when you use the console button to raise the body? So, is "raised" just relative to "lowered" or is it a fixed value, so that the full travel between low and high can be expanded this way?
I’m not sure about the question. If you’re asking does it (SDS)) lift the vehicle ride height to original raised height?
I can’t speak to that, I didn’t take oe measurements. All I can say is I get approx. 4” of lift on stage ll with SDS lowering procedure
Old 05-03-2018, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
So, is "raised" just relative to "lowered" or is it a fixed value...
I believe any adjustments to the height are relative. So if you were to lower your vehicle by an inch, then both raised positions would be an inch lower than before. Moreover, when the chassis automatically lowers itself at high speeds those levels would be an inch lower than before as well.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by kbob999
You don't need the Romess tool. These inputs are assuming you measured them with the tool.
Not sure about the height adjustment, but if you don't like them, simply change the Romess angles with the SDS until you like the setting.

I confess I did not do this on mine, as it came with adjustable links when I purchased the car, so I don't know the drop with these settings.
I have made many adjustments on the links getting the range of heights to my liking. Would have been easier with the SDS.
Sharing this so others can make their own adjustments via SDS.
Originally Posted by bobterry99
I wrote the instructions that kbob999 quoted. They are based upon a combination of my experience and intuition, and they may not work for everyone.

I believe the Romess angles that you are prompted to enter are completely immaterial provided they fit within the range of acceptable values.

The degree to which you lower the car is continuously variable, but you are constrained by the voltages on the level sensors. If any voltage is out of the 2-3 volt range the level adjustment will be rejected.
Thanks, I'm just concerned I will overwrite the stock settings and will lose the original values and then each corner wont be aligned aka game over..hope it doesnt work that way!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by bobterry99
I believe any adjustments to the height are relative. So if you were to lower your vehicle by an inch, then both raised positions would be an inch lower than before. Moreover, when the chassis automatically lowers itself at high speeds those levels would be an inch lower than before as well.
That's what i was thinking, But then Hary said he gets 4" of lift? Min is all stock and the difference between "stage 0 " and "stage II" is maybe 2" at best, probably closer to 1.5". I;d love to get a 4" lift with stage II - I am tired of scraping the front bumper lip on speed bumps and poor driveway transitions.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 AM

R230
Even packed for long hauls with our suitcases, case of water etc. on full height we haven’t scraped or bottomed out on steep angle driveways. It looks like a soccer mom SUV
Old 05-15-2018, 06:37 AM

R230
Thanks, I'm just concerned I will overwrite the stock settings and will lose the original values and then each corner wont be aligned aka game over..hope it doesnt work that way!
Depending on the SDS Model and devlopement level; if you want to plug yours in you should be able to do a factory reset of individual height settings and or simply catalog your OEM sensor voltage measurements and you can play with the overall height all you want
Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
What about lowering the R230 via one of the following lowering modules, does anyone have them installed? Any feedback?

http://loweringmodule.com/lomo-m1-lo...r-excl-my2003/

http://loweringmodule.com/programa-v...e-with-remote/

I'd much rather purchase the Programa V2...
Old 07-04-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by FxFormat
When i got my links, It came pre set to lower 1" all around, i turned each links another 2 turns to get another 1/4" of lowering and looks great now.

I've been contemplating adding the chrome strips on the bumper of my red '05 SL. How has the reaction been regarding yours, mostly positive or negative? I'm looking for a slight modification on my car...
Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Originally Posted by cjennjr
I've been contemplating adding the chrome strips on the bumper of my red '05 SL. How has the reaction been regarding yours, mostly positive or negative? I'm looking for a slight modification on my car...
I took off that chrome strip, in fact took off the entire bumper and switched to the AMG one, my car doesn't look like that anymore...looks like this now.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500, 2003 SL500, 2007 S550
I have Ghost Links from ghost motorsports on Both My S550 and my SL500. Love Em' wont go without them. I see now there are many manufacturers. My S500 was also lowered using custom made adjustable links.

Mercedes Benz Lowering Links. GHOST
Old 09-29-2018, 06:06 PM

R230
Opinions are unique. Everyone has one.

If anyone doesn’t already the adjustable links then be forwarned.
You have get under each corner repeatedly to make certain the car is corner/side to side level and
“stance” height. The time it takes to level the car is considerable and honestly only for beginners or those not fully versed in
MB tech
It takes < 1hr from scratch to balanced and height set to your own level with an SDS and doesn’t cost anything

Adjustable links are ends to means. So are Brabus ABC modules. Highly time consuming and expensive for what you get.

I have a set of links in my parts cabinet from before I bought our SDS. Wouldn’t waist my time again. You can even set heights on MB with Airmatic just easy.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
I've already bottomed out my car on roads with high up and downs..as well as steep as SLOPES and this is STOCK settings!

I can't imagine lowering it as I raise to Height 2 just to pull out of my steep incline hill driveway.

The car is low as it is...anyone hit debris yet?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 AM

R230
Debris? I got nothin’

Mmmmm OK.
This is where CP location could be helpful
I can’t project into someone else’s locale. If your asking if I’ve ever drug or scraped ? No.
Ca.has the worst of all gas station or parking lot for entrance angle and raised up I’m golden
Old 10-02-2018, 11:07 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I don't think I would lower mine, either. There are several places I visit that have really bad transitions and even with the body raised and going slowly, I scrape the underside of the front bumper. I also have a couple of really bad railroad tracks I sometimes cross. Personally, I think that in the lowest ABC setting, the tires fill the fenders very symmetrically. If it were lowered any more, the gap above the wheel would be tighter than around the sides and make it look too "slammed". Besides that, I have a hard enough time as it is getting in and out of the car at its current height. Any lower and I may need a good chiropractor.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
I have my car lowered about an inch with the lowering links. I generally drive with Height 1 setting as I find it more comfortable than at Height 0. I save the lowest setting for when I want to drive the car hard.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
I don't think I would lower mine, either. There are several places I visit that have really bad transitions and even with the body raised and going slowly, I scrape the underside of the front bumper. I also have a couple of really bad railroad tracks I sometimes cross. Personally, I think that in the lowest ABC setting, the tires fill the fenders very symmetrically. If it were lowered any more, the gap above the wheel would be tighter than around the sides and make it look too "slammed". Besides that, I have a hard enough time as it is getting in and out of the car at its current height. Any lower and I may need a good chiropractor.
Haha, I forgot it's already hard to get out of the car..It took me a few months to get used to it and im young and perfect shape
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Originally Posted by 57staff
I have my car lowered about an inch with the lowering links. I generally drive with Height 1 setting as I find it more comfortable than at Height 0. I save the lowest setting for when I want to drive the car hard.
That's not a bad idea.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 PM

R230
Totally understand Rudeney. I’m 62 and definitely feel it trying to get out after a long drive. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

FWIW; having owned several Corvettes, even a lowered R230 is waaaay easier to get in & out of.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Talking

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Totally understand Rudeney. I’m 62 and definitely feel it trying to get out after a long drive. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

FWIW; having owned several Corvettes, even a lowered R230 is waaaay easier to get in & out of.
Age is not the only factor here. I am 62 as well, but it is easier for me to get in and out of SL then it is for my son, who is 29. But I am 5'8", and he is 6'3". Sometimes it's good to be short.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:09 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, I'm 6'2" as well (down an inch from my max of 6'3") and pushing 60 and that makes it hard. When I can open the door fully, it's not so bad, but in a tight spot (like my garage) it's a real PITA. I am not one of those people who parks at the end of the lot, but I do look for wider spaces or a space where no on will park close on my left. Two cars I have driven and would never own because the are jsut too damned hard to enter and exit are 300SL gull wing, and a Lotus. I could handle driving a Miata every day before a 300SL.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:18 PM

R230
Originally Posted by FxFormat
I took off that chrome strip, in fact took off the entire bumper and switched to the AMG one, my car doesn't look like that anymore...looks like this now.

I remember you. How is the Vinyl holding up? Is it starting to lift on the lower fr bumper upright support or is that just an optical? Did you fix the crack where the license plate is or replace the front bumper? Overall looks darn good