SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Urgent ??? on seat color, Black nappa!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 Sport
Exclamation Urgent ??? on seat color, Black nappa!

Any of you out there with launch Edition SL500s, I have two questions on the Black Nappa leather seats...

1. How is the leather holding up?

2. Do you find the Black seats too hot when the top is down.

Black Nappa is now an option on the 2005, I must make a decision next week.

Many Thanks
Old 05-22-2004, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I don't have black nappa leather, but I do have nappa leather and you need to know that it requires extreme care in use. It is much softer than the regular leather but is more easily abraded and stretched. So, things like rivets on jeans, or zip pockets are an absolute no-no. Leaning across the car and supporting your weight on your outstretched fingers on the seat will stretch the leather irreversibly, so that too is a no-no.

The nappa leather option is well worth going for, it improves greatly the feel of luxury of the car, but only you know how the car will be used. If you are fastidious, it will be fine. If you have 7 year olds who will clamber all over, I'd go for the regular leather.

As for colour, I think black would be an interesting option. For us SL55 owners, the choice is light grey, dark grey or red which is pretty limiting, so the black option is worth considering.

[As an aside to those following my DB9 thread, the DB9 is available with something like 18 different leather colours, plus, if you want it, a colour matched to any sample you care to provide. Makes the 3 for the SL55 and 5 for the SLxxx look rather limited]
Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL
I have an 03 launch vehicle, Designo... black nappa interior...
no cat smell, and the seats seem sturdy enough, I stepped on them and I weigh 220.... I do have the ventilated seats, which I understand are a bit stiffer feeling.

I take care of my cars, and no dorks ride in them, and the wife knows not to wear stuff with metal spikes on it.

That said, I would recommend the nappa leather, with this option, the leather seats are almost as comfortable as my Audi A8L, the standard leather is sub-standard for a $100k+ car in my opinion (go sit in an Audi A8 with the alcantra option, your Mercedes will feel cheap)

(but I like my car for what it is, a fun touring sporty car with a convertible hardtop)

Greg
Old 05-24-2004, 06:47 PM

ML 500 Sport
Thanks for the comments...I am optioning an SL55, I know the Designo leather is softer than the standard AMG leather...which does seem a bit tough for 125k car....glad to hear the Designo holds up...still wonder if the Black would be too hot when the top is down
Old 05-25-2004, 04:38 PM

Bentley LWB, Silver Cloud III, 2002 G500,2004 LX470,73 Jag XKE, 2004 SL600, 2004LS430
I've had the Launch, a plain 03 sport and now the 04 SL600. All with black. Black is not too hot but I do put the top up whenever I park. With the ventilated seats I don't even think about the heat here in Texas. The Nappa is MUCH more luxurious. Most people didn't think the 500's dash was leather. It is obviously leather with the 600's Nappa....go for it. The other leathers are so light that they soil easily and btw, a lighter dash reflects in the windshield to a greater extent.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL
I second everything he said (great minds think alike!!)

Greg
Old 05-25-2004, 09:08 PM

ML 500 Sport
Well if it's not too hot for Texas than I guesss it would be good NY!..and I agree with you...I hate reflection on the windshield with light colored dashes...I think I'm sold on the Designo Black...thanks for the imput...now for the exterior....hmmmm?

there is an extra charge for the designo black but dealer doesn't have the number yet...

It's down to Capri Blue or the Designo Graphite package...not so sure th $6k for the graphite package is worth it now that the Black is available