SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Sulfur burning smell coming from trunk/battery.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sl500
I believe it to be a malfunction within the BCM itself. There really should be a fuse link that cuts off power coming into the BCM once the internal short occurs.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
SL600, SL500, SLK350
Yes, most fire theories over the years from owners point to age-related failures in the BCM (like shorted electrolyic capacitors), I would think there need to be two large amperage fusible links, one for the incoming starter battery power and another one for the incoming systems/consumer battery power. Since both links would have to supply sufficient amperage to the biggest current draws (most likely the starter motor), they would need to be pretty beefy.

Given the human life liabilities possible and the number of reported BCM burnouts, It's pretty surprising that MB has been rolling the dice for so many years on R230-caused garage/house fires.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R230

Old 09-01-2020, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Just a reminder to stay aware of the BCM problem and have a MB Dealer check it from time-to-time. You may not notice the smell in time to avoid a fire which sadly, often happens inside a home garage which brings into play catastrophic implications. My fire occurred at around 11PM at night with the 230 parked in my home garage.

There are just so many 230's still out there with this 'prone-to-failure' Battery Control Module and fact is, there may not even be any tell-tale smell to indicate a BCM electrical shorting issue.

In my case, there was no indication whatsoever of a problem until an actual 'spontaneous combustion' occurred inside my 230's trunk and spread to the garage. My 230 was completely destroyed by the fire. Had I not discovered the fire in my garage just before going to bed that night, it might very well have burned down my entire house with me an my Family sleeping inside. I should add that I had not even driven the car for 3-days prior to this fire's occurrence.

I urge everyone with a 230 to take this BCM fire hazard very seriously and monitor the condition of the BCM inside your 230.

(Note that this BCM was installed in 230's for the entire model year run of 9-years - 2003 to 2012).

Last edited by bob55; 09-01-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 ML350 (W166), 2010 E350 (sold), 2003 SL500 (sold)
Originally Posted by bob55
Just a reminder to stay aware of the BCM problem and have a MB Dealer check it from time-to-time. You may not notice the smell in time to avoid a fire which sadly, often happens inside a home garage which brings into play catastrophic implications. My fire occurred at around 11PM at night with the 230 parked in my home garage.

There are just so many 230's still out there with this 'prone-to-failure' Battery Control Module and fact is, there may not even be any tell-tale smell to indicate a BCM electrical shorting issue.

In my case, there was no indication whatsoever of a problem until an actual 'spontaneous combustion' occurred inside my 230's trunk and spread to the garage. My 230 was completely destroyed by the fire. Had I not discovered the fire in my garage just before going to bed that night, it might very well have burned down my entire house with me an my Family sleeping inside. I should add that I had not even driven the car for 3-days prior to this fire's occurrence.

I urge everyone with a 230 to take this BCM fire hazard very seriously and monitor the condition of the BCM inside your 230.

(Note that this BCM was installed in 230's for the entire model year run of 9-years - 2003 to 2012).

OK.....took your advice and decided it was time to take the BCM fire hazard seriously and actually devised a "trap door" to access the BCM routinely. (Fortunately my BCM was pristine). Here's my problem; I ruined the four tamper proof screws on the plate cover when removing them and I can't find the replacements anywhere. People have looked at me dumbfounded and have no idea "what they are" let alone where to find them. HELP !! Does anyone have any suggestions or is there any advise on where to find them? I am certain there are others out there who made the same mistake!