SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Does service help or hurt possible sale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes SL500
Does service help or hurt possible sale?

I recently had $7K of work done at a MB dealer (mostly electrical - and a large part of that was replacement of the ME unit - ECU) as a result of water getting in to my trunk via a broken brake light and rain. My question is I'm thinking about selling the car, since this was a comprehensive repair (with MB parts at a MB dealership), does it make it more attractive or less attractive to a potential buyer?

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
R230
Yes.
The only person that it matters to is the buyer.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Usually it helps. Because you don't want to see a 10 year old car with no service records. Also stuff happens now and then, thus some cars will have more services than others. Also some people tend to DIY, and those cars will have less service records.

The only time it hurts is when you see the car being serviced for same reason over a short period of time - like multiple services in the same area within a year or so, or a huge amount of service done at once. Most of us would look for a car with regular maintenance performed and would be ok with some extra unscheduled maintenance done.

Hope I answered your question.
Regards,
Ghostty

P.S.

since you can explain why you did that extensive service it shouldn't matter, but to each his own
The following users liked this post:
rjmansfield (11-04-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 632 Likes on 471 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Depends on buyer as well as the repair alone may scare some away due to electrical gremlins.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
In my opinion Yes... for most that will be in the market for your type of car it's a sense of security knowing that they won't have to pay, but for a individual who knows ins/outs of maintenance they cannot bargain knowing it's been completed, and you are doing the right thing before selling it. Just my opinion
2MERKS
Old 11-01-2018, 07:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
I would be hesitant to say one way or another. It very much depends on what year is your car, what mileage, where are you, and how much you expect to get for your car. It will determine what kind of buyer will be interested in it.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
... but for a individual who knows ins/outs of maintenance they cannot bargain knowing it's been completed, and you are doing the right thing before selling it. Just my opinion
2MERKS
I can not completely agree with that. You never know what else was in the water. So there is definitely a good reason to drive the price down, arguing that problems from trunk flooding are not over yet.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
R230

Only thing that matters is if you’re the perspective buyer; how would you feel about a broken taillight causing an electric system failure? Honestly it will hurt a sale price. You don’t want to conceal it though either. The repairs will offset most of the damage but the overall condition of the car will speak for itself one way or another

Good luck

Last edited by Hary Gahtoe; 11-02-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 SL550, 2014 E350 4matic
No matter what you intend to do, you should always keep all of your receipts for parts, fuel, fluids, filters, labor, and keep them organized. Then you can use them or not, depending on the situation.

In this era of CarFaxing, you do not want a buyer claiming that you did not maintain the car properly because it left an incomplete trail. I usually go the path of full disclosure when selling a car. I know that *I* would find that most attractive in a car that I am considering, but not everyone will see it the same way.

Last edited by CPDay; 11-04-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:04 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just an FYI, you can create a Carfax account and keep your service records there. I think they will then appear when a prospective buyer pulls the Carfax. if not, you can print off your service records for them.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM
SD1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Disclose if asked, but the reality is most buyers don't care that much, we are outliers. General car buying public buy on emotion and basic information. Clean title, no accident history and oil changes. The line I use and think most accurately translates to buyers is, "the car was serviced solely at an authorized Mercedes service center with factory parts" and I always forward the documentation to a buyer. I have found that if you bring their attention to any specific service or imperfection, they will get fixated on that item/issue. Right, wrong or indifferent, selling a car can be a pita. Let them see and drive the car, and allow to have a PPI done, and that in my opinion is as much as anyone should expect. Its the buyers responsibility to ask questions and determine if the car makes sense to them, not for you to guess what is and isn't important to them....
Old 11-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
Originally Posted by SD1
Disclose if asked, but the reality is most buyers don't care that much, we are outliers. General car buying public buy on emotion and basic information. Clean title, no accident history and oil changes. The line I use and think most accurately translates to buyers is, "the car was serviced solely at an authorized Mercedes service center with factory parts" and I always forward the documentation to a buyer. I have found that if you bring their attention to any specific service or imperfection, they will get fixated on that item/issue. Right, wrong or indifferent, selling a car can be a pita. Let them see and drive the car, and allow to have a PPI done, and that in my opinion is as much as anyone should expect. Its the buyers responsibility to ask questions and determine if the car makes sense to them, not for you to guess what is and isn't important to them....

^^^^^^^^ The voice of reason.