SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2004 sl500 parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
2004 sl500 parts

Does anyone know where I can get front grill and bumper (preferably obsidian black) at a reasonable price. Ebay has some but are there other sources? I am in Oklahoma city. Has anyone put transmission stop leak in the hydraulic system, I have a slow leak on driver front area.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

Due to the low production numbers of the R230, it's going to be hard to find one. Ebay is probably your best bet just because of the national reach of sellers. I'd look for a seller who offers pre-painted parts for other MBZ cars, then contact them and see if they can get what you need for your car. Note that these bumpers will be just the "skin". You will have to disassemble your bumper and remove the inner parts (frame, insulators, energy absorbers, grilles, fog lights, etc.) It's not too difficult, but some of the parts may be riveted in place and some of the plastic bits like to get brittle and break. As for the grille, those are readily available all over eBay. Some people like the single-fin grilles, so if that's your choice, this might be a good time to upgrade.

I would not put any sort of additive into the transmission. You need to fix the leak. Your car should have the 722.9 7-speed, so the leak won't be old "pilot bushing" problem the 5-speed had. The 722.9's rarely leak, but I guess you could have a bad gasket. I have heard of a few cases where the seal at the shift lever linkage leaks, and that's a pain to replace. What I'd do is have the fluid and filter changed, which will include a new gasket and have the leak investigated then.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:18 PM

2009 sl550
My brother has a front bumper cover I don't remember the color.I do know it does NOT have parking sensors.The item is in great shape.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM

sl500
suspension leak

Thanks for the information. This is my first MB after 150 other cars I have owned, so while I know general mechanical things, I know nothing about this model or brand. The suspension is leaking and the person I purchased the car from had been putting transmission fluid in the reservoir. I dont even know what is supposed to go in the suspension but thought if he had been using transmission fluid that a leak stop would help without having to go rebuild and service the system. On the body parts, a semi tire retread made a 2" spot on the hood bend slightly and destroy the bumper cover, so that is why I am having to get new absorber, cover, fog lights, and grill. I will paint myself but some people said that paint code was difficult to match. I haven't had problems with darker colors in the past.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Regarding the color, plastic bumpers never seem to match, even from the factory.

For your other issues, you need to take care of your leaks. The proper fluid for the ABC suspension is Pentosin CHF 11s. Absolutely do NOT put anything else in it. My advice is to find the leak, fix it, and do a fluid flush with a new filter.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by cwslk350
My brother has a front bumper cover I don't remember the color.I do know it does NOT have parking sensors.The item is in great shape.
How much does he want? I can get it from Greyhound, that is inexpensive shipping.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 AM

2009 sl550
I can put you in touch with him let me know I will give you his phone number.PM me . The cover is AMG style without parking sensors in very good shape.