SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: my SL story part 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 500
my SL story part 1

the following is my personel history about how I eventually decided on my SL. it is long winded and i apologies ahead. it is a way of sharing my excitement about the car. once i get i, i can then meaningfully contribute and add topics about the car.
saw my car i heshow room today.....wow

It all initially started with reading about the SLK 230 around 1997/1998. It was then I knew I wanted one an open top car . I was at that time driving C200 saloon. Soon came along Porsche Boxster . At the time of release both cars had a 1 year waiting list. So I had a lot of time to think about both cars.

1. Boxster was quickly ruled out , it went from 2.5litre to 2.7litre engine. Essentially I was not happy with power output
2. SLK 230 was then ruled out once I drove both Boxster and SLK back to back. The noise of the SLK reminded me of my wife’s sewing machine. Also was not too keen on the SLK based on the C-class platform (old technology and hence not truly dedicated open top car). It was then that my wife convinced me that the Boxster was better looking.
3. Boxster S was really my next choice and I personally came very close to buying it. Then we bought a new house, started a new business and it all went on hold for a while. Essentially wanted to finish mortgage payment and catch up with regards to provision tax (those in Australia will remember this silly rule where you pay your income tax for the following year based on your current year income tax rate….hence you are paying income tax on income you have not earned yet ! )
4. BMW Z3 and Audi TT was not considered by me at all.

A couple of years went by then it all started again , but this time the cars were getting more expensive. I moved up the scale. With now a young baby I thought maybe some back row seats may be useful, but quickly learnt maybe I needed a family escape car.

1. 911 was my first thought, wow a beautiful car. Test drove the new 3.7 litre and loved it. Said Yup….go get it. But hesitated, do not know why really. May be it was too common, interior not exciting enough…..don’t know
2. Maserati coupe was next, glorious 8 cylinder engine sound. But unsure of reliability and resale value, hence did not entertain about this car for long.
3. SL (R129) second hand , but soon realise it felt like driving a brick. A big disappointment for me personally , was hoping to really like the car.
4. Mercedes CLK coupe or cabriolet, the back tail lights reminded me of my wifes Toyota Camry. I was also not too keen on buying a car which essentially had 2 less door and paying more for it, since it was based on C-class platform.
5. Jaguar Coupe was again not considered as was again old technology, build quality and resale value again.

Then finally came the current SL (R230). Did not like it as first, but then it grew on me. The technology built into this car was the thing that impressed me. Also the WAF (wife acceptance factor ) was good. When we first got married 10 years ago , I thought to myself…..one day I will own in SL. Now that wish and dreaming will arrive on 2nd July 2004 (Happy new year to all Australian accountants and government tax officials), when I take delivery
Old 06-23-2004, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: my SL story part 1

Originally posted by monty

When we first got married 10 years ago , I thought to myself…..one day I will own in SL. Now that wish and dreaming will arrive on 2nd July 2004 (Happy new year to all Australian accountants and government tax officials), when I take delivery
Congrats mate!
I hope to be in your shoes in about 10 months when i am done with my lease.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:13 PM

Conratulations to the both of you!!! You will not be disappointed!!! I'm not a huge fan of Mercedes, but the SL is one exception! Did you ever consider the Lexus SC430? Silver_Lana, do you plan to lease the SL?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by lexusfan
Silver_Lana, do you plan to lease the SL?
Depends on if I can do it though a corporate entity. It might be hard to justify that on a tax form though!
The lease deals arent so bad these days though although I might consider a balloon payment plan. Do you see any advantage or otherwise to either?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:59 PM

sl 500
Lexus SC430

yeah , had a quick thought about it, approx 5 seconds. Saw the car , and it did not warm to me at all

monty
Old 06-23-2004, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Lexus SC430

Originally posted by monty
yeah , had a quick thought about it, approx 5 seconds. Saw the car , and it did not warm to me at all

monty
Most people say the same on here.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Easily the SC430 out preforms the SL55AMG..

err..

Every driven a washing machine?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL
That's not fair! The lexus is more like a mattress on wheels... quit insulting the washing machine!

Greg