SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Camber Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 SL500
Camber Settings

Has anyone ever installed the adjustable upper control arms and set your camber to say .25 degrees which should significantly increase tire life? While the current handling is awesome, it wears out the inner corner of the tires really quick. I ask because I was looking at "competitor" camber settings. A C5 and C6 has TWO settings from GM. Race and street. The Corvette race settings are right on par with what Mercedes wants for the R230, but the street settings are .25 degrees. Fortunately for Corvette owners, this setting is easly adjusted with the turn of a couple of bolts. From the factory a C5/C6 will be on the street setting at .25 degrees of camber. Those generation of Vettes that are equipped with GM's stability-control system, which does what ABC does in a different manner, will easily hit .96 on the skidpad. The 2003 R230 test by Car and Driver got .88 on the skidpad in stock trim.

Anyway, ours is a street car for fun road trips and gets driven almost daily by the wife. Our car sees absoluty zero track time and usually only gets the pedal mashed in a straight line. I see no need for racecar like cornering on a street driven boulevard cruiser. This with lowering links will most likely be my next upgrade. If I can triple tire life, this upgrade will pay for itself in half a year. Just wondering if anyone has done it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...UAAOSwX3NZbYm2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ad...frcectupt=true
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters

I'm in the same boat as you, and I set my rear to -0.50 camber to extend life. Likely need -0.25 to make the tires last longer.

I was the 'test pilot' for the ebay seller snooozie (your first link) and got a pair of similar adjustable camber links for the rear of the SL55.
I had issues with a tight fit against the spring, and snooozie went to a bent link to gain the clearance. We were able to get the straight link to work with offset ends (see picture).
Note that these links are only tight with the suspension fully unweighted and extended (not likely), and clearance is not an issue when suspension is weighted and compressed.
Parts are high quality and will last as long as stock parts.

The front camber was set with camber bolts, and while not perfect, it was close to the -1.0 camber target. Part number 000 330 00 18
There is less wear in the front, and the cornering balance is better with a little more negative camber up front.

I have been to the track with the car, but I won't do that again. Too hard on brakes and tires, and too heavy to be competitive.
Sure is fun to go really fast though!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 SL500
Awesome info, thanks. I was behind a C7 with massive rears coming home from Austin a couple of weekends ago and noticed his tires went leaning (cambered) at all. That’s when I started looking into this. I’m surprised more don’t make this upgrade. As the suspension soft parts age all the camber does is get worse. I say age, not wear, because the soft parts support your car 24/7 whether it’s driving or parked. Also, if ya think about it, I’ve probably mashed my pedal to the floor a thousand times in a straight line and never once hit .8 g’s in a corner. Adding camber to corner only takes away from the straight line dig. Everytime that little triangle on the dash blinks off a red light, you just broke your back tires loose and traction control is doing its job. Squaring up the contact patch will help the red light to red light fun big time!