SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Lowering links help

Old 03-23-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
Question Lowering links help

I have a 2011 SL550 , I put the lowering links all around and it did the job , looks great ( doesn’t ride that great anymore) but it does look good . The problem is going down the road and hitting bumps and the back end wants to raise up on one side or the other , what did I do wrong or that’s what I’m stuck with ?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 MB SL500
One of the benefits of the ABC hydraulic suspension in these cars is that you can set the ride height without mechanical alterations. All you need is a STAR diagnostic system or and Indy shop that has one. Your lowering links may be setting the car too low and fooling the ABC system into raising it up to compensate. If it were me, I'd forego the LL and dive the car the way the engineers at MB designed it to work. You can still get the look you you're after through appropriately sized wheels and software suspension settings.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
Originally Posted by Mattleycrue76
One of the benefits of the ABC hydraulic suspension in these cars is that you can set the ride height without mechanical alterations. All you need is a STAR diagnostic system or and Indy shop that has one. Your lowering links may be setting the car too low and fooling the ABC system into raising it up to compensate. If it were me, I'd forego the LL and dive the car the way the engineers at MB designed it to work. You can still get the look you you're after through appropriately sized wheels and software suspension settings.
Any chance you know the exact place in STAR to get this adjusted? Preferably if I could get directions on how to get there. My MB mechanic is good, but I've noticed that once I get into customisations like this, it's new to him.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by xclens
Any chance you know the exact place in STAR to get this adjusted? Preferably if I could get directions on how to get there. My MB mechanic is good, but I've noticed that once I get into customisations like this, it's new to him.
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ml#post7439146

Let us know how it went