SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Flashing fog lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 SL550
Flashing fog lights

07 SL550. Here's an interesting one: On occasion--usually on Sunday morning, Heidi's fog lights flash intermittently. I back into the same parking place, lock the doors, and walk away. For the next two hours, intermittently, the fog lights come on and flash, similar to the four way flashers. It's not continuous. It's happened at least once when parked at home, but almost every Sunday morning for the past few months at church. I told the ushers she's just flirting with them. Anybody have any idea why.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by hawgdawg50
07 SL550. Here's an interesting one: On occasion--usually on Sunday morning, Heidi's fog lights flash intermittently. I back into the same parking place, lock the doors, and walk away. For the next two hours, intermittently, the fog lights come on and flash, similar to the four way flashers. It's not continuous. It's happened at least once when parked at home, but almost every Sunday morning for the past few months at church. I told the ushers she's just flirting with them. Anybody have any idea why.
If we discard the possibility that either God or Devil is trying to communicate with you, I'd suggest that there is some sort of EMI interference. Is there a cell tower next to your church? I would figure out which SAM controls the fog lights and try to shield it - wrap an aluminum foil over and connect it to chassis. It might help. Or not, but it is easy and free, so I would try.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 SL500 Designo Edition
hawgdawg50,

I had a similar issue with my 05, I would park the car, lock it with the fob and out of the blue the lights would start flashing. At home, where the car is in a garage, I hardly ever lock it and I don't remember it happening. So, did some research, found some related stuff that pointed to the alarm horn, pulled the fuse and it stopped. Turned out to be a defective alarm horn (the dreaded leaking batteries), I purchased one on EBay, installed it and the problem was solved. Might be worth a try..., the fuse is under the hood.

Last edited by wmmorrell; 06-24-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: correction