SL/R230: MOT Advisories

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes SL350 R230
Exclamation MOT Advisories

Hi all,

Can someone please explain what these MOT advisories are, how serious (expensive), where to get them done and when?
  1. Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play Rear ball joint (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  2. Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play Rear ball joint (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  3. Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.1.3 (b) (i))
  4. Engine covers & undertrays fitted
  5. Offside Front Upper Suspension arm ball joint dust damaged but prevents the ingress of dirt
Thanks all
Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by Narday
Hi all,

Can someone please explain what these MOT advisories are, how serious (expensive), where to get them done and when?
  1. Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play Rear ball joint (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  2. Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play Rear ball joint (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  3. Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.1.3 (b) (i))
  4. Engine covers & undertrays fitted
  5. Offside Front Upper Suspension arm ball joint dust damaged but prevents the ingress of dirt
Thanks all
They are all quite common, but not all at the same time, it would suggest the car has been neglected a little perhaps?
If the ball joints can be replaced rather than the whole arm, then it shouldn't cost you too much. I am surprised that the MOT are looking for the underside trays as an advisory though?

By the way, I nearly bought a black SL near Newcastle at the beginning of the year which had 20" wheels, I then checked the MOT history and it had almost the exact same advisory's and fails as you have mentioned, I wonder if you have bought that car?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:02 PM

Mercedes SL350 R230
Originally Posted by A1EK
They are all quite common, but not all at the same time, it would suggest the car has been neglected a little perhaps?
If the ball joints can be replaced rather than the whole arm, then it shouldn't cost you too much. I am surprised that the MOT are looking for the underside trays as an advisory though?

By the way, I nearly bought a black SL near Newcastle at the beginning of the year which had 20" wheels, I then checked the MOT history and it had almost the exact same advisory's and fails as you have mentioned, I wonder if you have bought that car?
Different shark ted, different film.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
R230 350SL
The current MOT doesn’t require the removal of any undertrays. This does mean though that if they feel the presence of the undertray obscures their vision of something they do want to look at, the regulations force them to list this as an advisory.

The advisory on the undertrays therefore is not a comment on the mechanics of the car, merely a note that there were some things they were unable to check due the presence of the undertray.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Mercedes SL350 R230

Sorry, did you get the same advisories repaired? How much did it cost?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, did you get the same advisories repaired? How much did it cost?
Not on this car, but I have had on other Mercs i've owned and usually do it myself.

If you go to garage I would say for each ball joint about an hour labour £70 plus part £109 so £180 for the suspension arm each (£360 pair)
Ball joints are about another hour labour £70 plus parts £36 each so £106 for ball joint.
Upper ball joint replacement about £50 plus labour £120.
Underside tray, I would get this from a breakers yard, or ebay, or just make one.

All in I would guess £580 to £690

this is just using prices from ECP by the way and only guessing, you will need to ask your garage for labour times and costs.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/suspens...pension-joints
Old 11-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Mercedes SL350 R230
Not on this car, but I have had on other Mercs i've owned and usually do it myself.

If you go to garage I would say for each ball joint about an hour labour £70 plus part £109 so £180 for the suspension arm each (£360 pair)
Ball joints are about another hour labour £70 plus parts £36 each so £106 for ball joint.
Upper ball joint replacement about £50 plus labour £120.
Underside tray, I would get this from a breakers yard, or ebay, or just make one.

All in I would guess £580 to £690

this is just using prices from ECP by the way and only guessing, you will need to ask your garage for labour times and costs.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/suspens...pension-joints
You obviously know what you're doing! The quote is near enough spot on. Where are you based? Scotland? Do you ever come down to bham? Would love you to help me.

If not, do you know of any garages that can do it here in Bham?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You obviously know what you're doing! The quote is near enough spot on. Where are you based? Scotland? Do you ever come down to bham? Would love you to help me.

If not, do you know of any garages that can do it here in Bham?
I pass by Birmingham most weeks as I work in Stratford-Upon-Avon, However I am working on a project for the rest of the year mainly in Scotland,

Are you handy yourself? Why not give it a go and save a lot of money, just take your time. If you get a discount code fro ECP the parts can be pretty cheap!
Start with a ball joint perhaps and see how you go, as they are advisories you have a year to sort out !
Youtube has loads of videos, just have a search.
this one shows the front suspension arm, its from a C Class Merc, but is similar..

Once you've done all the work , its good to get the alignment checked.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Mercedes SL350 R230
I pass by Birmingham most weeks as I work in Stratford-Upon-Avon, However I am working on a project for the rest of the year mainly in Scotland,

Are you handy yourself? Why not give it a go and save a lot of money, just take your time. If you get a discount code fro ECP the parts can be pretty cheap!
Start with a ball joint perhaps and see how you go, as they are advisories you have a year to sort out !
Youtube has loads of videos, just have a search.
this one shows the front suspension arm, its from a C Class Merc, but is similar..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0o-EG7Yn5g

Once you've done all the work , its good to get the alignment checked.
Will it be easy for an sl350? Don't I need a press to put the ball joints back in?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Will it be easy for an sl350? Don't I need a press to put the ball joints back in?
No, you just replace the whole arm, it comes with the new ball joints
Old 11-25-2019, 05:55 AM

Mercedes SL350 R230
No, you just replace the whole arm, it comes with the new ball joints
Yeah, the whole are is like 143 quid... So much for cheap