SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: R230 ABC Rear End Raising After Shutoff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W124, W126, W140, W220, W222, R129
R230 ABC Rear End Raising After Shutoff

I am having an issue with the ABC on my R230. I just purchased the car, but I don't have any service history for the ABC system. I did see a "travel plunger sensor" fault on SDS for the front left. I have ran the rodeo 3 times, and it seems to be intermittent (will keep updated), however the issue I am facing is odd to me. The oil lever is correct, and there is no fault coming after Rodeo or in the ABC system, however the rear raises once I shut off the car. Specifially the left rear. I did install lowering links and run calibration through SDS, and it sits perfect when switched into gear after being started. It clearly took my adjustments no issue, however day after day, when it shuts off it goes max height in the rear. For clarification, this has been happening even before I put in the lowering links.

I did try to adjust the lowering links even lower, so that maybe the system will be tricked into believing that a lower level is max height, however that theory didn't work.

Any ideas what could be going on here? I tried search, but didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:19 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG
Bad control valve perhaps?

Check this thread out, read the whole thing

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ngine-off.html

Last edited by sivikvtec; 02-19-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
I'd use Star Diagnosis to see what the ABC controller is commanding the valves to do as the suspension rises.

At the bottom of the main ABC screen you probably have a menu item "Development data". Clicking that opens the engineering menu. From there if you select "Actual values" and then "Complete actual values list" you then have a sub-menu with eight different screens of statuses and sensor values. They are in German, but using an online translator you can suss the meaning of most of them.

77. Current to left-rear locking valve
78: Current to right-rear locking valve
79: Current to left-front locking valve
80: Current to right-front locking valve
81. Current to left-rear strut control valve
82: Current to right-rear strut control valve
83: Current to left-front strut control valve
84: Current to right-front strut control valve

All of these currents as well as any of the other analog values can be charted in real time using keys F3 and F4. You can also create your own lists of actual values and populate them with only the items you choose. In this manner you can choose to view only the values of interest and have them all on one screen.