SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Forever FIX off your ABC issues and engine oil use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 12:05 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Originally Posted by bob_lovell
Well, I had my bubble burst talking to the ITW Professional Products technical rep in Lakeland Florida. By the way ITW stands for Illinois Tool Works, which I have owned stock in for years. He told me they have discontinued the QMI products and partially replaced them with the Full Throttle brand. He did not recommend using any of their products with hydraulic systems. They are great for engines transmissions, etc., but not the ABC pump.
HA HA HA, but this worked fine for 10 years now in my first Sl55 AMG , not even changed the pump , 0 nada nothing changed on that car. Plus many people i know ,have sealed up their leaks years ago in same way and nothing wrong happend with system. , And hydraulic treatment in my both my current AMG , cars work super, no issues. Full Throttle brand is same as before.

We buy from Norway dealer www.qmi.no and Spain Dealer , Was Norway dealer/ importer that told me to use it in my ABC, This guy know alot about oil products. They had journalist fill one liter teflon treatment on his engine, then drive it . Then empty it of all oil, then drove it for close to 40 min without oil. before it stopped , engine cooled down, filled oil, car started up and worked normal..

her is a letter from a company that own bigger ships with a leak issue.

ET37–2009 Liquid Seal Treatment

Description of Incident:

From time to time our vessels experience leakages of oil from stern tubes and thrusters, which would normally require dry docking of the vessel for repairs. Rcently we have managed to stop or significantly reduce such leakages by means of an additive to the lubricating oil.

Polar Sea, stern tube leakage to sea. Loss 10 - 15 liters a day. We ordered and filled 25 liters into the stern tube header tank, oil leak stopped after two days.

Challenger thruster leak stopped.

Falcon stern tube leak, internal leak approx 45-50 liter a day on each shaft. We filled 50 liters into each header tank, some days later port seal leaks 0,5 liters a day and stbd seal 10,5 liters a day.

Experience Transfer / Lesson to be learned:

Seals do not last forever, but LiquidSeal can often avoid oil leak and repairs the seals, or at least postpone repairs until more conveniently scheduled pit stop.

The “IceLube LiquidSeal” treatment can partly reduce or stop oil leaks by restoring seal elasticity and gently increasing seal size to fill the leak causing gaps. Liquid Seals formula contains no harmful aromatic solvents, witch cause uncontrolled seal swelling and loss of elasticity. What’s important you can add Liquid Seal into all kinds of oil.

The supplier informs that this can be used on engines, cranes, compressors steering gears, propeller shafts, hyd. equipment. We will have it mainly for adding in stern tube and thrusters oil, to reduce leakages. This product is not recommended by all propeller manufactures, but this should be evaluated from time to time when the situation occurs.

Recommendations

I will advice all vessels to have at least 50 liters in stock to be used when uncontrolled leakage occurs.

Best Regards,

HSEQ Department.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-03-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL550
Wink

Originally Posted by Tommyboy928
HA HA HA, but this worked fine for 10 years now in my first Sl55 AMG , not even changed the pump , 0 nada nothing changed on that car. Plus many people i know ,have sealed up their leaks years ago in same way and nothing wrong happend with system. , And hydraulic treatment in my both my current AMG , cars work super, no issues. Full Throttle brand is same as before.

We buy from Norway dealer www.qmi.no and Spain Dealer , Was Norway dealer/ importer that told me to use it in my ABC, This guy know alot about oil products. They had journalist fill one liter teflon treatment on his engine, then drive it . Then empty it of all oil, then drove it for close to 40 min without oil. before it stopped , engine cooled down, filled oil, car started up and worked normal..

her is a letter from a company that own bigger ships with a leak issue.

ET37–2009 Liquid Seal Treatment

Description of Incident:

From time to time our vessels experience leakages of oil from stern tubes and thrusters, which would normally require dry docking of the vessel for repairs. Rcently we have managed to stop or significantly reduce such leakages by means of an additive to the lubricating oil.

Polar Sea, stern tube leakage to sea. Loss 10 - 15 liters a day. We ordered and filled 25 liters into the stern tube header tank, oil leak stopped after two days.

Challenger thruster leak stopped.

Falcon stern tube leak, internal leak approx 45-50 liter a day on each shaft. We filled 50 liters into each header tank, some days later port seal leaks 0,5 liters a day and stbd seal 10,5 liters a day.

Experience Transfer / Lesson to be learned:

Seals do not last forever, but LiquidSeal can often avoid oil leak and repairs the seals, or at least postpone repairs until more conveniently scheduled pit stop.

The “IceLube LiquidSeal” treatment can partly reduce or stop oil leaks by restoring seal elasticity and gently increasing seal size to fill the leak causing gaps. Liquid Seals formula contains no harmful aromatic solvents, witch cause uncontrolled seal swelling and loss of elasticity. What’s important you can add Liquid Seal into all kinds of oil.

The supplier informs that this can be used on engines, cranes, compressors steering gears, propeller shafts, hyd. equipment. We will have it mainly for adding in stern tube and thrusters oil, to reduce leakages. This product is not recommended by all propeller manufactures, but this should be evaluated from time to time when the situation occurs.

Recommendations

I will advice all vessels to have at least 50 liters in stock to be used when uncontrolled leakage occurs.

Best Regards,

HSEQ Department.
Well, take a look at this reply I just received from Blue Devil:Robert-

Yes, you can safely use BlueDevil Hydraulic Stop Leak to treat your Mercedes. You should apply 1 ounce of BlueDevil per every 1 quart of fluid capacity; more is not better.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Thank you,

Zach Friedley

Technical Support Manager

o: 888.863.0426

f: 843.352.2929

e: zach@gobdp.com

BlueDevil Products Online

www.gobdp.com | follow us on: instagram / facebook / twitter / youtube

PJ1 Online

www.pj1.com | follow us on: instagram / facebook / twitter

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 3:32 PM Robert Lovell <Bob_Lovell@msn.com> wrote:

Would Hydraulic Stop Leak work in a 2007 Mercedes Benz SL550 to stop leaks in the hydraulic suspension system? It uses Pentosin CHF 11S hydraulic fluid in both the suspension system and the power steering. Both are operated by a tandum pump that has a small leak. These systems notoriously leak with age.

Does anyone know the capacity of the ABC system?
The following users liked this post:
Tommyboy928 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 04:32 PM

89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
BOB ok, yes, its ok. probaly will work. But i not tested that one, when QMI do the job perfect and safe, i not need change anything . Remember Bob ,is 20 years sinse i treated my R129 SL500 and drove it like it was stolen for 4 years , blowing down highways in 275 kmh. ,and not even once in 4 years i needed repair anything. It started up in minus 30 C without a knock, yes i was driving it all year . So for me to use something else,is a no brainer.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-03-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:55 PM

SL550
Question

BOB ok, yes, its ok. probaly will work. But i not tested that one, when QMI do the job perfect and safe, i not need change anything . Remember Bob ,is 20 years sinse i treated my R129 SL500 and drove it like it was stolen for 4 years , blowing down highways in 275 kmh. ,and not even once in 4 years i needed repair anything. It started up in minus 30 C without a knock, yes i was driving it all year . So for me to use something else,is a no brainer.
The thing is I can't find your favorite product. So, I am stuck with an expensive repair or trying this Blue Devil. Anyway, thanks much for responding. Do you know how many quarts (liters) of hydraulic fluid are in the ABC system?

Last edited by bob_lovell; 03-03-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-03-2020, 06:42 PM

So BOB , you say that your local garage , cant order here https://www.fullthrottleproducts.com...system-sealer/ look seller list

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:55 PM

SL550
Question

So BOB , you say that your local garage , cant order here https://www.fullthrottleproducts.com...system-sealer/ or in Firestone, or Tire Plus service centers ?
Well, ITW's tech said that hydraulic fluid is highly corrosive (does that mean "oxidizing"?,) and said it was alright to use the Full Throttle product with those oil based systems listed, but not with hydraulics. (Its MSDS states it is incompatible with oxidizing agents). I don't know enough about power steering in other automobiles to know whether they use oil based fluid. My understanding is that power steering fluid is either synthetic or mineral oil based. So, I don't see the problem, since Pentosin CHF 112 is synthetic, but in light of the tech's comments, I am a little reluctant to experiment. Pentosin states on the side of the can, "Do not mix with . . . any other hydraulic oils." One bottle of Full Throttle Multi System Sealer would be the right size if you're supposed to use one once per quart since I found out the ABC fluid capacity is almost four quarts (3.7 liters).
MBCO (03-19-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 PM

the powersteering liq you use only for powersteering , LiquidSeal you can add everywhere where it is a leak or weak seal, very easy, Engine ,gearbox, diff. ABC system ,including powersteering.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 PM

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon, 2007 S600, 2009 SL550 with ABC removed, 2011 S400 with Hybrid removed
There seems to be 2 QMI companies

I have been trying to find QMI LiquiSeal, and have been unsuccessful. I found out it is manufactured near me in Lakeland, Florida by ITW Professional Automotive Products. They also make a product under the Full Throttle brand named "Multi System Sealer". It appears to do the same thing, and my guess is that LiquiSeal is their international brand name. Apparently, the Full Throttle products are sold to professional mechanics and garages. A retail product sold at most U. S. auto parts stores is Blue Devil " Hydraulic Stop Leak" which on their web site appears to do the same thing as LiquiSeal and Multi System Sealer. The material safety data sheet ("MSDS") for Blue Devil says its Di(ethylene glycol) ethyl ether; for LiquiSeal it's Triphenyl phosphate. Apparently, they are different formulae. Has anyone tried the Blue Devil product?
I've got intrigued by this QMI treatment for ABC and a brief research indicates that it seems there are two QMI companies one in Norway and one in USA (Florida). They appear unrelated though. Tommy is referring to the one in Norway (where his testimonial is also posted). The Norwegian company seems to be terrible in marketing as indicated, so maybe they really have something special and just don't know how to promote it. Through google I've found 3 people on the Internet reporting about QMI LiquiSeal treatments (Tommy, someone named Zaid Mustapha in Trinidad, and one anonymous).

So has anyone else been able to find more success stories and more information about the QMI LiquiSeal product? And WHICH QMI LiquiSeal actually worked for them? I have found only one seller in USA (pdqtool.com) . Interestingly there are only a few sellers worldwide I could find (like about 4 - and each of them having a photo of a completely different looking bottle with different looking label of QMI LiquiSeal)

If the product is really that great and would work for both main problems of R320 (ABC and the roof hydraulics) it would really help a lot of people

thanks
Old 03-08-2020, 08:53 PM

SL550
Smile

Originally Posted by George993
I've got intrigued by this QMI treatment for ABC and a brief research indicates that it seems there are two QMI companies one in Norway and one in USA (Florida). They appear unrelated though. Tommy is referring to the one in Norway (where his testimonial is also posted). The Norwegian company seems to be terrible in marketing as indicated, so maybe they really have something special and just don't know how to promote it. Through google I've found 3 people on the Internet reporting about QMI LiquiSeal treatments (Tommy, someone named Zaid Mustapha in Trinidad, and one anonymous).

So has anyone else been able to find more success stories and more information about the QMI LiquiSeal product? And WHICH QMI LiquiSeal actually worked for them? I have found only one seller in USA (pdqtool.com) . Interestingly there are only a few sellers worldwide I could find (like about 4 - and each of them having a photo of a completely different looking bottle with different looking label of QMI LiquiSeal)

If the product is really that great and would work for both main problems of R320 (ABC and the roof hydraulics) it would really help a lot of people

thanks
When I spoke to the ITW technician in Lakeland, Florida, a week or so ago, he told me they were phasing out LiquiSeal in favor Full Throttle. I guessed that QMI was bought out by ITW. He mentioned that most people asked about a QMI product for diesel urethan sold in the UK. He said if you bought it in London and tried to import it into the U.S., customs would confiscate it. So, maybe there's a trademark or patent issue. He suggested I look for a rebuild kit for the tandem pump. Later, I found a distributer for Full Throttle Multi System Sealer, and asked him whether I could use it. He said that because it's supposed to work with power steering systems, logically it ought to work with the ABC. However, he referred me to a different telephone No. to ask. It turned out to be ITW's technical department. I spoke to Pablo at ITW Friday. He told me don't use Full Throttle Multi System Sealer, because it's formulated to work with automatic transmission fluid and not an exotic power steering fluid like Pentosin. I said well what if your trying to use it as a last resort, because you don't want to spring for $2,700 to replace with a new pump. He said, if you're going to probably replace the pump anyway if it doesn't work, try it. I then thought about all the other components in the system, and do I want to take the risk of having to replace everything if it gums it up. Blue Devil on the other hand said their hydraulic leak stop will work, but don't use over one once per quart. My manual states the ABC system is almost four quarts (3.7 liters). So, I guess that's four ounces.

Last edited by bob_lovell; 03-08-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Aussiesuede (05-10-2023)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 AM

BoB, if its your pump that is leaking, not shure that anything will work . But qmi as i sayd 100 times before will work as i sayd. because i have tested it . What would my motive be to make up some story about this ? what is it not to belive about what i say ? in Facebook group Mercedes SL 55 AMG R230 is 2 guys that confirm that worked fine seal up leaking ABC system Clas Tørnqvist and Ivar Prøsch .

Marketing is the Norway dealer very OK . Marketing and make tings difficult and confusing for customers, seems like the USA producer is the champion . The Norway dealer buy from USA . some bigger ferrys that goes from Oslo to Kiel Germany ,filled 4 tons on main engine teflon treatment ,4000 kilo on a 5 to 10 million dollar engine.

I not understand you guys that want make doubt in what i allready have proved sinse 1995 and 2010 when this ABC was sealed up, is 10 years ago , and car run fine, not changed anything in ABC system ever.

read this link https://www.fullthrottleproducts.com...system-sealer/ USA seller that would say something that is wrong , for shure not . all it does is make less friction, expand seals, rubber seals that you also have in a steering sylinder .

Multi-System Sealer

PART NO. FT40204

Full Throttle® Multi-System Sealer restores hardened, shrunken and brittle seals. Specifically designed to soften and gently swell the seal, recovering its elasticity before it breaks.
  • For Use in Oil System, Transmission and Power Steering
  • Full synthetic, Solvent-Free Oil-Based Formula
  • Restores Seals and O-rings
  • Metal and Chlorine free
  • Concentrated Treatment
  • Stops Leaks

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-09-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by danmm7
I wonder if this will help extend the life of the Vario roof system.... like leaking cylinders, etc.
YES ,this will for shure help keep the sylinders tight and nice, everyone should add for vario roof system ,to prevent leak in future, cars so old now ,and if been sitting long time, and in very hot summers ,is even worse. My cars always been in tempered garages sinse i buy them , so i managed ok so far, but will add som hydraulic treatment next time .
Old 03-12-2020, 11:16 AM

2014 E350 Wagon, 2007 S600, 2009 SL550 with ABC removed, 2011 S400 with Hybrid removed
BoB, if its your pump that is leaking, not shure that anything will work . But qmi as i sayd 100 times before will work as i sayd. because i have tested it . What would my motive be to make up some story about this ? what is it not to belive about what i say ? in Facebook group Mercedes SL 55 AMG R230 is 2 guys that confirm that worked fine seal up leaking ABC system Clas Tørnqvist and Ivar Prøsch .

Marketing is the Norway dealer very OK . Marketing and make tings difficult and confusing for customers, seems like the USA producer is the champion . The Norway dealer buy from USA . some bigger ferrys that goes from Oslo to Kiel Germany ,filled 4 tons on main engine teflon treatment ,4000 kilo on a 5 to 10 million dollar engine.

I not understand you guys that want make doubt in what i allready have proved sinse 1995 and 2010 when this ABC was sealed up, is 10 years ago , and car run fine, not changed anything in ABC system ever.

read this link https://www.fullthrottleproducts.com...system-sealer/ USA seller that would say something that is wrong , for shure not . all it does is make less friction, expand seals, rubber seals that you also have in a steering sylinder .

Multi-System Sealer

PART NO. FT40204

Full Throttle® Multi-System Sealer restores hardened, shrunken and brittle seals. Specifically designed to soften and gently swell the seal, recovering its elasticity before it breaks.
  • For Use in Oil System, Transmission and Power Steering
  • Full synthetic, Solvent-Free Oil-Based Formula
  • Restores Seals and O-rings
  • Metal and Chlorine free
  • Concentrated Treatment
  • Stops Leaks
Tommyboy928, just to make sure, are you saying that the Multi-System Sealer, PART NO. FT40204, Full Throttle® , is exactly the same as the QMI LiquiSeal you have been using for years? Or is it something similar but possibly not the same? thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 01:32 PM

Tommyboy928, just to make sure, are you saying that the Multi-System Sealer, PART NO. FT40204, Full Throttle® , is exactly the same as the QMI LiquiSeal you have been using for years? Or is it something similar but possibly not the same? thanks
YES is same , Norway dealer and Spanish dealer buy from Florida factory, that link to full Trottle web page, . Seems like the factory like workshops to add it correct, chake bottles for 5 min and add on cold engines, need start right away and drive. if just fill and do nothing, IF NOT drive,the teflon and stuff just end up on bottom wherever you fill it and would be usless.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-19-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:30 PM

SL550
Question

YES is same , Norway dealer and Spanish dealer buy from Florida factory, that link to full Trottle web page, but i guess need be a workshop that order from there, or you need go Tire Plus or Firstone service centers to buy . Seems like the factory like workshops to add it correct, chake bottles for 5 min and add on cold engines, need start right away and drive. if just fill and do nothing, IF NOT drive,the teflon and stuff just end up on bottom wherever you fill it and would be usless.
Is the bottle four ounces?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:43 PM

Is the bottle four ounces?
Yes

So the ITW tech who told you that this FT40204 Full Throttle is not compatible with Pentosin contradicts what ITW has written on the bottle which says it's compatible with ALL Oils
The following 2 users liked this post by George993:
Tommyboy928 (03-17-2020), tonylinc (05-30-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 AM

Yes

So the ITW tech who told you that this FT40204 Full Throttle is not compatible with Pentosin contradicts what ITW has written on the bottle which says it's compatible with ALL Oils
CAN BE USED everywhere. , All that have ABC system that not changed anything sins 2003, should add this, also on the Vario roof to expand the o rings in seals. all R129 owners also.No need spend alot money on new sylinders ,and alot of work to change them .

LITTLE UPDATE ON MY 2007 SL55AMG , it has now 9000 km sins oil change , and not added any oil sins oil change 15 month ago . miles 5600, i use Royal Purple HPS sae 10 w 40 with the teflon treatment, Used Royal Purple sins owned sl500 from year 2000 , 20 years now. They say it flow as fast as the Mobil 1

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-17-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:23 PM

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
RE: QMI Products available at Tires Plus. I stopped by my local store and the Manager knew nothing about QMI products. "We're not a Parts store" "Try Advanced, etc." Came up Flat there.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MBCO
RE: QMI Products available at Tires Plus. I stopped by my local store and the Manager knew nothing about QMI products. "We're not a Parts store" "Try Advanced, etc." Came up Flat there.
The way I understand the world QMI no longer exists (at least in US) and has been replaced with FullThrottle which is available (see a photo above of a bottle from a case which I have bought to give it a try). I don't know if it works and I will try to find out myself
Tommyboy928 (04-08-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 07:09 PM

Tires Plus sold no "additives" of any kind save for a fuel injector cleaner. At least in MN store I was at. I'll check out FT products. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:42 PM

removed not useful info from myself, on where can buy.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 07-23-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:43 PM

The way I understand the world QMI no longer exists (at least in US) and has been replaced with FullThrottle which is available (see a photo above of a bottle from a case which I have bought to give it a try). I don't know if it works and I will try to find out myself
For shure it work, shake well, and what you use on, need be cold before start fill it . THEN drive after filled. . what are you fixing ? https://www.fullthrottleproducts.com/contact-us/

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 03-18-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 PM

I checked out Kwik, signed up and discovered they sell FullThrottle products via e-commerce site. You must sign up to see prices, which appear reasonable.

https://gokwikparts.com/
Tommyboy928 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MBCO
I checked out Kwik, signed up and discovered they sell FullThrottle products via e-commerce site. You must sign up to see prices, which appear reasonable.

https://gokwikparts.com/
https://gokwikparts.com/shop/product/FULL-FT40204 they have all what guys need ,normal teflon treatment engine also, https://gokwikparts.com/shop/5d54169...a-b40af54da4cd
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 AM

Yes

So see you have a bottle, did you test on what yet ?
Cicero52 (12-18-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 01:42 PM

W212
Is this a one time use kind of thing or requires usage every change of ABC or oil change?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Forever FIX off your ABC issues and engine oil use