SL/R230: New owner - a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 SL550
New owner - a few questions

Hi,
Some of you might have seen some of my posts already. I am a new owner of a 2009 SL550 and as such I've had many questions. The community has been amazing and I am grateful for all the advise and support. Especially because after getting the car, I've had so many issues so it is a bit demoralizing. I am however loving the ride!

When I first bought the car, I took it to the MB dealership for diagnosis and they came up with a number of recommendations and I wanted to get your take in it.

1. They found that the ABC pump is seeping and recommended I change it and flush the system. They said this was not urgent but I'd need to do it.
- What do you think? Should I change it now or wait for it to fail?

2. My mirrors work fine but when I go on in reverse, the passenger one does not tilt down. I've read multiple threads on this and a few members say that some models don't have that function anymore. Can someone confirm for sure? The only reason I am asking is because MB looked at it, couldn't make it work and want to charge me over $1,000 just to check the problem - not to fix it!! I assume that if that car didn't have the function they wouldn't quote to charge me for the diagnosis.

3. They tell me that the main battery that I have is not the 'proper one' and that I should replace the 'systems battery'.
- The main battery was replaced 8 months ago with a WSO/760 CCA/Group 48 AGM battery. I think this battery is fine so not sure what MB are on about. What do you think?

4. They also recommend I do a transmission exchange service and a power steering system exchange.
- I can do the power steering service myself but transmission is a bit beyond me. How urgent do you feel this is? Can I wait a bit?

Sorry for the long e-mail!

Thanks
Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 191 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
MB quotes and rational Indy or diy cost are two incomparable factors. More knowledgeable members than me will comment on your questions.
As for the mirror function: easy one. If you have it, you’ll find it in the dash menu under (I think) settings-convenience.

Last edited by Frederick NL; 03-06-2020 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dudeman (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
1. Probably best to have the work done. If it fails, you may have other things go bad such as struts from little or no pressure of hydraulic fluid. However, I'd get a second opinion (it may not be the actual pump, but, for example, an accumulator maybe). Also, if you can find out or know, when was the last time the fluid and filter was changed out.

2. This feature (from what I can tell) has been removed after some model year (Mercedes did a lot of "decontenting" starting with MY05 vehicles usually). Wouldn't even bother. That sounds like a rip off since diagnosing is a mere $150 usually.

3. I'm pretty sure that battery is correct for the "convenience" battery in the trunk (that's what it shows based on the info I have for the correct size, DIN H6 Group Size 48). I think they're trying to sell you something you don't need.

4. They are both recommended depending on service intervals as usual. Again, see if you can find out when or if these have been done.

You would need to mention your mileage regarding the services so people can assist (the service manual for your car has all the recommended intervals as well). I would get a second opinion from a Mercedes indy shop honestly. You can save a good amount of change on the labor by finding a reliable and competent Mercedes indy shop
Old 03-06-2020, 05:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG
I believe the transmission fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles.

I think most of the power steering fluid will be changed anyways when the ABC pump is replaced because the reservoir gets drained and removed during the process.

I would replace the ABC pump now and would change the ABC filter at the same time.

Last edited by sivikvtec; 03-06-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Tommyboy928 (03-17-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:50 AM

Received 174 Likes on 134 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Where is the pump leaking? would not replace the pump (yet) just change the fluid and filter and see. Flush cleans out debris and will make the pump last longer. If the pump is bad it will fail and drop your car, but it does not need to be changed prematurely. Some times the lines out can weep. This is a different issue, hydraulic line leakage is somewhat common. Power steering is driven on same pump, hence its call "tandem pump" ABC and PS. You can read DIY articles on ABC system flush in these forums. If the batteries are charging and keeping a charge they are OK. May not be MB spec, but prior owner wanted to save a few $$ and put these in. I would pass on MB battery "correction" unless you get Battery icon alerts in MFD (in which you should consult these forums for fixes.), or your trunk battery does not have a clear plastic drain tube passing through the trunk floor (to drain away battery fumes for safety reasons , I presume).. Keep your convenience (trunk) battery on a trickle charger if you don't drive it a lot. MB car systems like their consistent power sources and can act up if deprived of Amps due to poorly charged batteries. You have a great car, should not worry you a bit. All of these are very minor items.
alexisvx (05-04-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:04 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG
If the pump fails it could could shoot metal fragments throughout the system.

how anyone could possibly recommend driving with a compromised ABC pump is completely beyond me...