SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Update Your Mercedes Module Software

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
I am new here and have experienced other forums on different topics for years. I must say Pmercury's contributions almost on a daily basis displays most effort for a forum member I have ever experienced. I am sure he is appreciated by so many here. I certainly am in awe. Thank you so much!
The following users liked this post:
pmercury (07-06-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
SL55 AMG, Audi S6 V8TT, Audi Q7 3.0 SC
Originally Posted by pmercury
The ME2.8 is a fairly easy ecu to tune that can be tuned fairly easy with some new OBD tuning plugs

You can also do this easily for free as long as you have some tuning files from the underworld and a 100$ ktag or kess clone.
This device allows you also to tune your transmission in 10 minutes depending on models.

The STANDARD rules are stages. If you get a stage 1 tune, the mapping is not for bigger injectors
It's easy to understand why: You add more fuel, but not more air that should be sone by a intake modification
changing hardware is part of stage 2 tunes

In your case, if the tuner send you a device with a stage 1 tune and that you swapped your injectors to bigger, the tune is no longer optimal
if they send you a stage 2 tune that has been mapped for bigger injectors , they must have told you what injectors model to swap to and hardware to change
then now you have a stage 2 tune.
I am not sure if you were referring to my tune and my SL55, but just to make things super clear ... my first step was the simple "stage 1", software flash only tune + TCU tune. No hardware changes at all. Everything was stock, except the software in the ECU & TCU. It offered some noticeable improvement but nothing crazy. It gives you an EASY bump in power for a few $$$ and you can flash the car on your own, without even going to a shop. The TCU tune required shipping to the tuner.

Then I wanted more power .... so I went "Stage 2" ... and this includes a 76mm Supercharger Pulley (much smaller than stock), 1-step colder spark plugs, bigger flow injectors, belt wrap kit, and improved cooling (high flow pump and bigger intercooler)... and of course, I got a new ECU tune file from RaceIQ to accommodate all the new hardware improvements. I did all the work and upgrades by myself in my own garage. The results are very impressive. Car runs like a champ.

When I get bored with this... next step will be bigger throttle body and potentially a larger crank pulley, and yes, i will have to reflash the ECU again to accommodate these updates as well.

Last edited by danmm7; 07-07-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by danmm7
my first step was the simple "stage 1", software flash only tune + TCU tune. No hardware changes at all. Everything was stock, except the software in the ECU & TCU. It offered some noticeable improvement but nothing crazy.
I think they advertise the ECU flash as adding 32 HP.

On the other forum there had been some speculation that a setting within the engine ECU could produce a small bump in performance. U.S. cars are set to use ignition maps for 91-octane fuel. But in some eastern states 93-octane fuel is available, and using DAS the engine ECU can be configured for the higher-grade fuel as follows:
Control Units > Motor Electronics > Adaptations > Correction Programming > Ignition​
Rodney played with this and noticed no difference; a friend of mine said his highway fuel economy improved slightly.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
SL55 AMG, Audi S6 V8TT, Audi Q7 3.0 SC
Originally Posted by bobterry99
I think they advertise the ECU flash as adding 32 HP.

On the other forum there had been some speculation that a setting within the engine ECU could produce a small bump in performance. U.S. cars are set to use ignition maps for 91-octane fuel. But in some eastern states 93-octane fuel is available, and using DAS the engine ECU can be configured for the higher-grade fuel as follows:
Control Units > Motor Electronics > Adaptations > Correction Programming > Ignition​
Rodney played with this and noticed no difference; a friend of mine said his highway fuel economy improved slightly.
Unfortunately, I have access to only 91 octane in my state. So my tune file was specifically designed for this octane level and my gains were registered with 91 gas.
Also, for stage 1, I am pretty sure the tune itself has to do more with controlling the boost levels from the Supercharger than fuel octane levels. Most of the tweaks are done around the behavior of the SC bypass valve so more boost is preserved.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:40 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL

Back to the initial discussion, always better to read what people that did the updates think of it:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post8101695

more reviews here

enjoy

Last edited by pmercury; 07-09-2020 at 10:54 AM.