SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Oil Change Extractor, Mityvac 7201 experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 03:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 SL550 R230, 2004 E320 W211
Oil Change Extractor, Mityvac 7201 experience

I changed the oil recently on my 2008 SL550 using an oil change extractor (Mityvac 7201, 8.8 liter or 9.2 quart capacity) and I had some thoughts and question.

I have seen the other threads about whether or not top side extraction is better or worse than using the drain plug to change the oil, and I really don't want to debate that here (there are plenty of other discussions about this), but rather I just wanted to share my experience and ask a few question to those who use an extractor for oil changes, and open up a discussion (very bored with pandemic going on...).

First, this was my first time using an oil extractor, and I was really pleased with how easy and quick it was, and I would recommend it. Below are some observations:
1. I have a 2008 SL550 and I do have an oil dipstick (I don't believe I can check oil level using instrument menus on my specific model, but I may be wrong). I took note of the oil level before draining the oil and after refill, and it was almost the same level on the dipstick.
2. I did have the car at normal temperature and level before sucking out the oil.
3. My Mityvac 7201 came with 3 hoses (one hose that connects to the pump, and 2 hoses (one smaller than the other) to go down the dipstick tube and connect to the pump hose). I used the larger of the 2 dipstick hoses, hoping that this would make the extraction go quicker (it fit in the dipstick tube and bottomed out)...
4. I opened the oil fill cap, loosened the oil filter slightly, and made sure the Mityvac was set to "extract" (it will also dispense), and gave it about 10 easy pumps. The oil was sucked out in about 5 to 10 minutes (I think I pumped it a few times halfway through and I completely removed the oil filter cap about half way through, or sooner).
5. The markers on the Mityvac reservoir are in liters and quarts (no half marks). I removed approximately 8.5 quarts (8 liters) which was 3/4 of a quart shy of the capacity of the Mityvac 7201).
6. I put 8.5 quarts back in using the oil fill cap (not wanting to debate oil types here, but I used Mobil 1, 0-40W). After starting car, oil level was good on the dipstick.
7. I replaced the oil filter and replaced the one large O ring in the oil filter cap, and the two small O rings that go on the thing in the middle (again, not wanting to debate filter type or brands here, but I used a Mann fleece filter).
8. I tightened the oil filter cap/plug hand tight and then used a wrench to go a littler tighter (not sure if there is a torque spec here or not, I tightened by feel).
9. My Mityvac 7201 has a "dispense" function as well (to pump extracted fluid OUT), but removed the hoses (after trying to drain the hose into the Mityvac container) and opened the quick release cap/plug at the top of the Mityvac and poured the oil from the Mityvac into containers and took for recycle. The pour spout worked really well except some oil came out of the hose inlet.

The whole process was very easy and almost no mess (I need a better funnel for the oil fill), any suggestions or comments on my comments above are welcomed.

For those using an extractor, do you clean your extractor with solvent? The manual says to, but I'm only going to use this for oil extraction, and see no reason for a little old oil sitting in the container and hoses? What say you?

Hope everyone is staying safe with current pandemic situation!

Lee
The following 3 users liked this post by Leej:
danaw007 (04-08-2020), fred9x (04-09-2020), sean65 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Hey Lee, do not clean your extractor, you’ll ruin the seals (don’t ask how I know). I’ve used mighty vac since they came out and prior to that I used a vacuum pump and a separate container for well over 20yrs. The most important detail of an oil change is the filter, I’ve done my own research by using a tubing cutter to open them up to see the filter material after they had around 5K miles on them. I use Bosch or K&N and I’ve heard that the Royal Purple is comparable. I, too, use the Mann fleece filter on my 550 though. After thorough research I’ve determined that with synthetic (I use Mobil 1 as well) oil and quality filters (because there is debris in them if you cut them open) and I only change the oil once a year in everything I own. I was told that I was insane by the service manager at Land Rover and the mechanics standing nearby had a good laugh at my expense as well until I drop an A-Bomb on them by asking if any of them could point out another 2011 Range Rover with anything near th 485K miles that mine had without any engine repairs. They stopped laughing. My truck was in for a recall. I’ve also taken two Jeep Grand Cherokee’s over 500K miles and a Harley Heritage over 180K miles and I only change the oil once a year. Disclaimer: I had the Jeep trannys flushed every two years as they are horrible. Th only thing I do differently is I pump the vac 20-25 times and let the car warm up so the oil is hot and it’s evacuated in about 3-5 minutes so when your done with the new filter install it’s empty and ready to refill. The big hassle on these cars are the cabin filters IMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by danaw007:
fred9x (04-09-2020), Leej (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:01 AM

@danaw007 Thanks for the feedback, and advice on cleaning. I thought it made sense to just leave it alone. I also agree with you on regular oil and filter changes. Stay safe!

Lee
The following users liked this post:
danaw007 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
I use the MightyVac that is powered by compressed air. Never had to clean it, it fills up then I empty it into those containers the cat litter comes in, and take to auto part stores to recycle. Been using this mightyVac for ten years now. I use Mann fleece filters as well. I agree that once a year is fine. I have two cars that only drive about 2500 miles a year and two others that go about 5000 miles a year. So they get oil changes in the summer whether they need it or not.Of course you want to warm the oil up a little before doing an oil and filter change. And, stay six feet away from the car for social distancing.
The following 2 users liked this post by tonylinc:
danaw007 (04-11-2020), Leej (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 SL500
Originally Posted by Leej
8. I tightened the oil filter cap/plug hand tight and then used a wrench to go a littler tighter (not sure if there is a torque spec here or not, I tightened by feel).
What great timing on this post, I'm expecting my Mityvac 7201 to arrive today. My daughter's car will be the first one to receive an oil change this weekend.

In any event, the oil filter cap on the SL shows a torque rating on the top, it appears to be 25 Nm.

Leej (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:52 PM

@sean65 You know, I remember noticing the arrow showing the direction to tighten (fortunately I didn't need that info) which I thought was odd, but I never bothered to look at the rest of the cap! It's probably written in the manual as well, but of course I didn't bother to look there either... THANKS.

Let me know what you think of the Mityvac...

Lee
sean65 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 10:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
The mighty vac makes it easy to change the oil in almost everything other than cars, especially the PITA items like lawn mowers, power washers, etc.