SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Oil Change for 2004 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Talking Oil Change for 2004 SL500

I just purchased a 2004 SL500 and would like to do an oil change. Does someone have instructions on what to use to drain the oil and how to change the oil filter. This is my first Mercedes (B/4 I had Jaguars) and I would like to cahnge the oil my self. What is the recomended weight for the oil?
John
Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
The process is essentially the same as with the SL55 except the SL500 uses "just" 7.9 quarts of oil. More info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...hange-diy.html
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 PM

SL500
Thanks

That thread was very helpful. I'm going to purchase a Oil Changer Vacuum Pump and change the oil myself.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SL500
I just did the oil change on my '03, and it turned out to be easier and more pleasant than most cars. No need to go under the car or get messy. The oil is simply suctioned via the dipstick orifice, and there is no need to insert a tube into the dipstick -- only to make a good seal. I measured about 7 liters of used oil collected into my vacuum pump. The filter is a breeze to do as well. I used expensive oil, but then saw the same weight Mobil-1 at Wal-Mart much cheaper. You can get a nice pump at most Marine supply stores, like West Marine for instance, since boats are usually serviced the same way.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500 SP & C 280
Originally Posted by Silver_R230
I just did the oil change on my '03, and it turned out to be easier and more pleasant than most cars. No need to go under the car or get messy. The oil is simply suctioned via the dipstick orifice, and there is no need to insert a tube into the dipstick -- only to make a good seal. I measured about 7 liters of used oil collected into my vacuum pump. The filter is a breeze to do as well. I used expensive oil, but then saw the same weight Mobil-1 at Wal-Mart much cheaper. You can get a nice pump at most Marine supply stores, like West Marine for instance, since boats are usually serviced the same way.
CAN U SHOW A PIC OF THE DIPSTICK ORIFICE THANKS.

Oil Change for 2004 SL500-picture.jpg

IS IT THIS ONE
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SL500
Yes, that is the dipstick orifice. The cap comes off, make a good seal with your vacuum pump and voila, 7+ liters will come out.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 AM

SL 500 SP & C 280
THANKS, I WILL DO MY 1ST OIL CHANGE ON MY R230

Oil Change for 2004 SL500-dscn0327.jpg
Old 07-17-2009, 04:44 PM

04 SL55 AMG
Using a pump, how do you make sure you get all the oil out of both the front and rear portions of the oil pan (the front axle splits the oil pan into front and rear sections). To my knowledge, the only real way to make sure is to go underneath and drain each using both drain plugs.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

03 SL500
I bought 1 for my BMW before and used it once then i threw it away.
I used it when the car wasn't too hot so the oil could move easier. In the end when there was no much oil, I could hear the pump started sucking air. It sounds just like when we finish zipping a glass of pepsi with a straw. If we have a hard time zipping every drop out of the glass, I think there is noway that thing could do a greater job than draining so i dumped it. It was a cool experience though.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by johnfrye
I just purchased a 2004 SL500 and would like to do an oil change. Does someone have instructions on what to use to drain the oil and how to change the oil filter. This is my first Mercedes (B/4 I had Jaguars) and I would like to cahnge the oil my self. What is the recomended weight for the oil?
John
Hi sorry for an off-topic question but I have a 2004 SL500 and cant get myhands on one to try to see if behaviour of mine is normal ..

Do you get slow (or even very slow) throttle response while cruising at 20-35 mph then brake a bit or just remove your foot from accelerator and then slightly accelerate and seem to seem damn this car is supposed to be a lot more powerful than it is then u feel power is back?#

Its like car loses ppower for half a second and then is fine (rpm goes up slowly from 1000 to 2000 then its fine after thaT..

I appreciate your feedback
Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 PM

04 SL55 AMG
I did a .pdf DIY write up at the following link for my SL55... should be similar, just less oil I think.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...hange-how.html
Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 PM

04 SL55 AMG
tmerhebi, have you tried resetting your the car's adaptive accelerator response as per this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ecu-reset.html
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 AM

sl500
Originally Posted by sjcsl55
tmerhebi, have you tried resetting your the car's adaptive accelerator response as per this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ecu-reset.html
unfortunately for me, tried it with no luck...

cleaned injectors and willl change fuel filter and spark plugs on monday.. will keep you posted but do u think it might be tranny TCU or valve body?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 AM

SL 500 SP & C 280
Originally Posted by sjcsl55
Using a pump, how do you make sure you get all the oil out of both the front and rear portions of the oil pan (the front axle splits the oil pan into front and rear sections). To my knowledge, the only real way to make sure is to go underneath and drain each using both drain plugs.
I KNOW THE SL 55 HAVE FRONT & REAR OIL PAN ARE THE SL 500 SAME HAVE TO TAKE A LOOK.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 SL400 and 2004 SL500
WTF?

Originally Posted by vincesgfv
CAN U SHOW A PIC OF THE DIPSTICK ORIFICE THANKS.

IS IT THIS ONE
No - this is at the back of the engine. Newer Mercedes SL do not have an engine oil dipstick - you use the command System to check oil.

I'd say photo was for the Transmission. Should be a red plug with a seal on it, so only a real Mercedes mechanic can check that transmission oil.

Putting 9 qts of engine oil in your transmission will be a VERY expensive mistake.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by gotglasses
No - this is at the back of the engine. Newer Mercedes SL do not have an engine oil dipstick
That is the oil dipstick tube. The older engines in the R230 (M113) have this tube, with that black cap, but no actual dipstick. You can buy one, but it is meant for in-shop use only, i.e. you don't leave it in the tube when driving. The newer engines (M273) actually have a dipstick.

- you use the command System to check oil.
The COMAND systems is the radio and NAV unit. I think you mean that the oil level is checked via the MFD on the instrument cluster. And it is on the older (M113) engines, but not the newer ones (M273) shipped with a dipstick.

I'd say photo was for the Transmission. Should be a red plug with a seal on it, so only a real Mercedes mechanic can check that transmission oil.
Nope, it's the oil dip tube. The transmission dip tube is located lower, underneath the engine cover and it should have a locking cap on it that does normally use a red tab for that lock. However, only the 722.6 5-speed transmission has a dip tube. The u722.9 7-speed does not have a dip tube - it is actually filled and the level is checked via the drain hole underneath.

Putting 9 qts of engine oil in your transmission will be a VERY expensive
mistake.
Yes, that would be very bad, but why would you put oil in through the dip tube? There is a much larger, more easily accessible oil filler cap on the front of the engine. For those who do change transmission fluid on the 722.6, it is refilled through the dip tube, and I have heard of more than one person putting transmission fluid into the engine through the oil dip tube. So, the easy way to avoid this is to remember that the engine oil dip tube is visible with the engien cover in place, the transmission dip tube is not.
The following users liked this post:
jdub907 (02-05-2019)
Old 04-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
SL500 R230II
Originally Posted by Silver_R230
... The oil is simply suctioned via the dipstick orifice, and there is no need to insert a tube into the dipstick -- only to make a good seal. I measured about 7 liters of used oil collected into my vacuum pump...
An old thread, but would like some clarification on this. All other information I can find about sucking the old oil out of the dipstick tube suggests use of a tube attached to the pump, pushed right down into the dipstick tube. But the quote above states to just connect to the top of the dipstick tube and the effectiveness of that will depend on how low the actual dipstick tube extends down into the sump and I doubt that will be to the very bottom and hence not as far down as if using a separate tube pushed down the dipstick tube, all the way to the bottom.

The above method also only apparently extracts 7 litres of oil, whereas using another tube pushed all the way down seems to enable 9 litres (about 8 quarts) to be extracted. All of which suggests the dipstick tube does not extend all the way to the bottom and so a separate tube should be inserted and pushed all the way down.

Or is there something I'm missing here?
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
I use a mighty vac 10qt version and insert the tube into the dipstick hole all the way until it stops and it sucks the oil out in about 5 mins, needs to be hot and you need to crack the oil filter open a few turns so it drains as well, and it shows on the side of the vac that virtually all of the oil is out. I change the filter while it’s draining. I have been using the vac method for years and it is definitely the way to go. I use Mobil 1 but I’m certain any synthetic will do. The key to high mileage cars without engine issues is the filters, some filter and some are just a giant oil plug, don’t go cheap on your filters. The MB OE filter is a nice filter. On my jeeps and range rovers that I’ve taken past 500K miles I use Bosch or K&N oil filters and change the oil once a year (averaging 40K miles, at least, per year). I was arguing with a Land Rover service manager where he implied that I was crazy to only change my oil once a year. I ended the argument by asking him to show me another Range Rover in his service bay or used lot that had 485K miles on it.
Leej (04-13-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 06:01 PM

2005 SL 500
Does the 2005 SL500 have 1 or 2 drain plugs?
Old 04-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Smile

Is there not a lot of hassle using a suction pump?

I have always changed the oil on my cars with the engine up to operating temperature and i always use the drain plug so i am sure i get all the old oil out
I always change the oil filter when changing the oil

I also only use Mobile 1 oil. First because i know this is quality oil and the fact that i get a 45 percent discount on Mobil oils also helps
Old 04-12-2020, 01:19 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Originally Posted by TheSaint
Is there not a lot of hassle using a suction pump?

I have always changed the oil on my cars with the engine up to operating temperature and i always use the drain plug so i am sure i get all the old oil out
I always change the oil filter when changing the oil

I also only use Mobile 1 oil. First because i know this is quality oil and the fact that i get a 45 percent discount on Mobil oils also helps
absolutely no hassle using a mighty vac, much easier in fact. The next time you drain your oil measure it out. I get all of it out but I don’t go under the car, bust my knuckles or strip out a plug. I have donated three suv’s To the Boy Scouts with over 500K miles on them so I feel I have a decent maintenance track record. Plus takes about 5 minutes to change the oil and while it’s being evacuated I change the oil filter and air filters and sometimes the wiper blades. Huge time saver. I also have a 10,000 lb lift if I wanted to drain it “the old fashioned way”. Some newer vehicles have a 1/4” tube inside of the oil filler tube for the vacs to connect for the dealerships to use. Range Rover has them.
Leej (04-13-2020)