SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL55 supercharger pulley wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
SL55 supercharger pulley wear

I seem to have some odd wear on my Eurocharged 84mm supercharger pulley...

With the belt on, everything seems fine, with normal clutch gap and no noise/play in the bearing. The car drives fine with normal supercharger engagement. However, with the belt off, the pulley wobbles around (probably around 1mm play) and the bearing freely spins in the pulley... I'm not talking about the bearing race rotating in the bearing housing, I'm talking about the entire bearing assembly spinning in the pulley.

I've taken the pulley off and removed the bearing. There's no play in the bearing and the OD of the bearing assembly measures 75mm, which is identical to a new bearing I have sitting around that I ordered a while ago. There are some wear marks on the bearing housing and some corresponding wear marks on the pulley.

Has anyone seen this before? It looks like the bearing has spun in the pulley, causing the pulley to wear. Obviously, the aluminium of the pulley is softer than the steel bearing. What I don't understand is how this could happen? Perhaps, under boost, the bearing housing starts to spin in the pulley?

Old 04-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I have not seen that before, but would agree with your assessment, that the bearing has spun inside the pulley.
There is a lot of force being applied to that pulley when engaged, so it doesn't surprise me. Belt slip is common at this pulley.
My only suggestion is locktight when installing the bearing and see how it goes. Worst case, you have to replace the whole setup.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by kbob999
I have not seen that before, but would agree with your assessment, that the bearing has spun inside the pulley.
There is a lot of force being applied to that pulley when engaged, so it doesn't surprise me. Belt slip is common at this pulley.
My only suggestion is locktight when installing the bearing and see how it goes. Worst case, you have to replace the whole setup.
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.

Just ordered some Loctite 638 retaining compound, which I'll use on reassembly. Fingers-crossed, that will do the trick.