SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: radio upgrade no audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 sl 500
Angry radio upgrade no audio

I'm in process of replacing the command radio in my 2005 SL500 with a pioneer head unit. I originally purchased a xtrons FOBB02 adapter by mistake and was getting a red blink but no sound. Tried replacing the amp with no success, then tried running new fiber optic lines using only the gateway, amp and adapter in the loop, still nothing While going over everything realized I had the wrong adapter (for 2007 & up) I and am now using the FOBB01 most adapter, still not getting any sound and no blinking red light from any of the fiber optic connectors. Replaced that with another FOBB01 adapter thinking the 1st one was bad but same thing with this one. My next step is to ditch the fiber optics all together but really don't want to go that far. Hoping someone hear may have some suggestions on what could be my problem?
Old 05-09-2020, 05:36 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Scott J
I'm in process of replacing the command radio in my 2005 SL500 with a pioneer head unit. I originally purchased a xtrons FOBB02 adapter by mistake and was getting a red blink but no sound. Tried replacing the amp with no success, then tried running new fiber optic lines using only the gateway, amp and adapter in the loop, still nothing While going over everything realized I had the wrong adapter (for 2007 & up) I and am now using the FOBB01 most adapter, still not getting any sound and no blinking red light from any of the fiber optic connectors. Replaced that with another FOBB01 adapter thinking the 1st one was bad but same thing with this one. My next step is to ditch the fiber optics all together but really don't want to go that far. Hoping someone hear may have some suggestions on what could be my problem?
Hi

here is the fiber diagram
as you see they go in and out from one module to another
if one of them was removed or not letting thru the signal to the amp you have a problem
other problem is that you have to make sure the amp is turning on with the radio
I remember removing the in to first in line (if I remember well) and route it direct to amp
you can remove cd charger, sat, and all now unusable units in the fiber circuit as not activated and working anymore

If you have Xentry, or a tool to edit Central Gateway module and cluster. devices should be removed there to for perfection
If you don't I don't think it will trigger anything and its fine to drive with errors in your system

sure someone else knows better as I have done this years ago. but at least you have a idea of how all this works
good luck

Last edited by pmercury; 05-09-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:34 AM

05 sl 500
Thanks that's why I tried running all new fiber optic lines to just the gateway and the amp (I'm assuming the gateway is nessicary?) What really has me confused is what would supply the wake up signal to the amp? the Xtron unit only has a constant power, ground and the 2 RCA connectors to the head unit.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:04 AM

CL
Thanks that's why I tried running all new fiber optic lines to just the gateway and the amp (I'm assuming the gateway is nessicary?) What really has me confused is what would supply the wake up signal to the amp? the Xtron unit only has a constant power, ground and the 2 RCA connectors to the head unit.
1) you do not need to necessarily program anything
it must work without

also running new fiber is not necessary
just take the in to first device in the line and hook it up direct to amp. I needed no extra fiber

not 100% sure but in my case it was the cd charger not letting the signal thru

the wire that triggers the amp should be on your Xtrons adapter

you can verify easy direct on the amp with a voltmeter if it turns on or not
Old 05-09-2020, 09:14 AM

CL
I just remembered more
It was the cd charger as it does not turn on anymore
Old 05-09-2020, 09:32 AM

05 sl 500
Shouldn't the xtrons adapter be blinking red where the fiber optics plugs in to supply the wake up signal to the amp?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:59 PM

CL
Shouldn't the xtrons adapter be blinking red where the fiber optics plugs in to supply the wake up signal to the amp?
please post a picture
I think wakeup is electrical not sure
Old 05-09-2020, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Yes, if it is receiving a wakeup signal from the module which precedes it in the MOST ring. Since the sound amplifier follows the XTRONS (picture), you can unplug its optical connector and check for the pulse from the XTRONS.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:40 PM

05 sl 500
Well I went to pull it out of the garage to go on to something else and the sound came on , shut it off and haven't been able to get it to come on again? thinking maybe I have an issue with the gateway? I've swapped everything else out with no luck, I'll have to start looking for one.. Otherwise I'll have to try a 3rd adapter I'm determined to figure this out!

Last edited by Scott J; 05-09-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 PM

CL
Well I went to pull it out of the garage to go on to something else and the sound came on , shut it off and haven't been able to get it to come on again? thinking maybe I have an issue with the gateway? I've swapped everything else out with no luck, I'll have to start looking for one.. Otherwise I'll have to try a 3rd adapter I'm determined to figure this out!
no
100% sure not the gateway

probably the fiber or amp on trigger wire