SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Best version of DAS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2020 | 01:49 PM
Banned

'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Best version of DAS

Just finished helping a friend troubleshoot the locking system on a 2005 S55. We were trying to determine whether or not the Overhead Control Panel (OCP) was getting an RF signal originating from the remote. To our surprise we could not find where the 9/2014 release of DAS software displayed that status. I have read that the 2008 version of DAS is the best, since, counter-intuitively, it has more content. That apparently is the case, because when we used another PC with the 9/2008 DAS release we could see the status.

It seems to me that without question the 9/2008 release is the best DAS for the MY2009 R230 and earlier. Likely it will work just fine with most if not all systems on later years.

For reasons that I can not divulge here I am unable to post a link to a free download of the 9/2008 software. So for further info you'll have to send to me a PM.

Old 06-09-2020 | 05:41 PM

CL
happy to see you helped out your friend but it does not work likely on later years as there is no database for those
You can end up with wrong data written on ecus by attempting this
and the name "golden version" is a myth
these few functions have been patched back since 2016
but glad to see you have a opinion made out of reading as you never tested something else

Last edited by pmercury; 06-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2020 | 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmercury
You can end up with wrong data written on ecus by attempting this
I presume you are referring to the practice of using a version of DAS which is, say, two years older than the vehicle. Informed by my background in software and electrical hardware, I believe there is zero risk. Rodney would probably know, since in his repair business he uses a 2012 release of the software (though he has the 2014.) Surely he doesn't turn away business with 2013 cars that he could capture simply by using his 2014 release. I'll ask him.

Whatever, the seed of doubt is surely planted in the mind of a few members. That's fine, because I think access to features on later cars is hamstrung not only by DAS but in the ECU firmware as well. For example, I have unrestricted access to performing an ABC level calibration on a 2003 car but not on a 2009. So, I think the advantages of the 2008 release are uncertain if used with MY2011 and MY2012. (There is no MY2010 -- not in the U.S., anyway.) If I owned a 2012 car, I would own a copy of DAS which is dated newer than the manufacturing date. I surely would not risk needing a critical diagnosis only to discover that my 2008 software is incompatible with a newer ECU firmware revision.

these few functions have been patched back since 2016
I suspect this not to be the case. I'm helping a member on the other R230 forum, and he has the latest XENTRY release. I'll have him check on at least one such feature and report back.
Old 06-09-2020 | 07:35 PM

CL
Originally Posted by bobterry99
I presume you are referring to the practice of using a version of DAS which is, say, two years older than the vehicle. Informed by my background in software and electrical hardware, I believe there is zero risk. Rodney would probably know, since in his repair business he uses a 2012 release of the software (though he has the 2014.) Surely he doesn't turn away business with 2013 cars that he could capture simply by using his 2014 release. I'll ask him.

Whatever, the seed of doubt is surely planted in the mind of a few members. That's fine, because I think access to features on later cars is hamstrung not only by DAS but in the ECU firmware as well. For example, I have unrestricted access to performing an ABC level calibration on a 2003 car but not on a 2009. So, I think the advantages of the 2008 release are uncertain if used with MY2011 and MY2012. (There is no MY2010 -- not in the U.S., anyway.) If I owned a 2012 car, I would own a copy of DAS which is dated newer than the manufacturing date. I surely would not risk needing a critical diagnosis only to discover that my 2008 software is incompatible with a newer ECU firmware revision.

I suspect this not to be the case. I'm helping a member on the other R230 forum, and he has the latest XENTRY release. I'll have him check on at least one such feature and report back.
We don't need you to check and come back no need to discuss facts. I build patches he doesn't have and if your friend uses a chinese "latest" version or whatever he put together and not having these functions
now you know why

stop your provoking posts and instead on focusing on something you don't know . help out people here with what you know that way the forum stays nice and calm

have a nice day

edit: Bobterry is again back in a long time ago started delirium... To not give this thread anymore importance and keep this forum happy I edit here:
What Bobterry says on MB software is his own personal amateur opinion. To find out the truth just look up my profile and threads.
Also Chinese latest 2020 versions are the worst ever made and have no longer firmware programming offline at all.
This is only a "cheap-***" option if you trust Chinese hackers on your network and just need a advanced fault reader.
I'm here if you need the "real" thing

It's always better to read what people that have had them all think of it:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post8101695

reviews here

enjoy

Last edited by pmercury; 07-09-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2020 | 11:29 PM
Banned

I build patches he doesn't have and if your friend uses a chinese "latest" version or whatever he put together and not having these functions
now you know why
Ahem. The latest Chinese software obtained by the member I checked with has the ability to check the communication between the key and the OCP. So for some reason the 2014 version is deficient. Note that this is the opposite of the popular view that the 2014 version is the best to have. That may be the case for 2010 and newer models, but it is not the case for the W220 and likely not other chassis as well.