SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Auto shop broke bolt in engine - insurance not wanting to pay! Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 SL600
Auto shop broke bolt in engine - insurance not wanting to pay! Please help

I took the 04 sl600 in for a belt and pulley replacement , three days later the shop calls and says the reason for the belt and pulley to be replaced was that a bolt broke in the engine when I was driving and I need a timing cover for 7k since they can’t remove the bolt .

After another week of them failing to tap out the bolt stuck inside the engine the area manager admits to them breaking it and claims it was rusty - that it would have broke on anyone who tried to remove it.

Their property insurance is agreeing with only a picture of a random rusty bolt - no rust anywhere on the vehicle or the bolts that I can see . It’s a complete fabrication to show no negligence on the shop.

I have to prove they were negligent to the insurance company - what should I do ? Attorney ? There’s no rust , they didn’t send anyone out , they claim denial over random photos of a rusty bolt . Attached you can see it’s clean!

No rust broke this bolt . Faulty shop work had to!

These have no rust .
Old 06-18-2020, 11:22 PM

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
You might have only 2 options - pay for it or go with attorney. Unless you can get a used part to save on $$$ - i don't see other options...

Feel sorry for you, mate!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:26 AM

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
R230
A Rock and Hard Place

The case can merely be drilled out (properly using a case hardened extraction drill bit from a bolt extraction kit) and a stainless thread tap insert is used. No lawyer and also the case could be left merely needing a bath!
Yes, you can drill out a bolt shank and use an easy out then use a stainless thread insert to seat a replacement bolt.
Your call if you trust what they have told you or are they maybe not so trustworthy.
Call a couple other Indy’s in your 20 and ask if they’ve ever thread tapped a mounting bolt that has “snapped off”. Chances are, yes and positive long term outcome
Personally. I’d demand only do a thread insert but its not my car either.
Post your outcome and good luck

Last edited by Hary Gahtoe; 06-19-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Fevola
I took the 04 sl600 in for a belt and pulley replacement , three days later the shop calls and says the reason for the belt and pulley to be replaced was that a bolt broke in the engine when I was driving and I need a timing cover for 7k since they can’t remove the bolt .

After another week of them failing to tap out the bolt stuck inside the engine the area manager admits to them breaking it and claims it was rusty - that it would have broke on anyone who tried to remove it.

Their property insurance is agreeing with only a picture of a random rusty bolt - no rust anywhere on the vehicle or the bolts that I can see . It’s a complete fabrication to show no negligence on the shop.

I have to prove they were negligent to the insurance company - what should I do ? Attorney ? There’s no rust , they didn’t send anyone out , they claim denial over random photos of a rusty bolt . Attached you can see it’s clean!

No rust broke this bolt . Faulty shop work had to!

These have no rust .
Start by posting their full details here

then send them the link
Old 06-19-2020, 11:32 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG
The cover itself is only $550 brand new from Mercedes and $220 used on eBay

Are they claiming $6k in labor to replace it?! I doubt even an MB dealer would charge that much.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 SL600
Originally Posted by sivikvtec
The cover itself is only $550 brand new from Mercedes and $220 used on eBay

Are they claiming $6k in labor to replace it?! I doubt even an MB dealer would charge that much.

dealer wants 16,700

my shop will do it for 3k