Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Intriguing Questions/Considerations for coilover conversion

Hey All;
I have been studying for a potential coilover conversion from ABC on my 2003 sl500. Here are my pain points:

1. Based on the strutmaster install video, you just need to cap off the hydraulicic lines from the oem strut and tuck them away.
2. It is not necessary to change the power steering pump. You can keep the tanden assembly with the hydraulic fluid continuing to flow.
3. According to strut masters and several other videos, sway bars are not necessary (although obviously better).
4. Strutmasters are good but lack adjustability, and there are several other kits out there less expensive and are adjustable with good reviews.
5. Not going with Strut masters means you have to get a separate abc warming light delete kit.
6. The rear install requires taking out all the trim which is a pain.
7. The total install diy should range between $1300 and $1800, assuming no sway bars or power steering conversion.
8. The DIY looks totally as doable as any other coilover conversion.

Please read and comment. Have a great day.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by S_F_Taylor
The cost of ABC parts and repairs has fallen so much these days that I can't imagine replacing ABC with a suspension that befits a Toyota Corolla.
Please elaborate. As far as i know arnot is the only aftermarket replacement and thet are really expensive too. Plus then there are lots of other item that fail and or maintenance items: the accumulators, fluid leakage, broken seals, ride height sensors, expensive pentosin fluid, sensors, and all other kinds of things. My abc is working on just doing the research for when it fails. Would love to hear what components are so cheap now sounds like I missed a lot in my research! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by S_F_Taylor
A friend got a pair of struts from Florida (not Arnott) for $400 each. You might change accumulators once, and they are a bit over $100 each. On an early car the pressure supply valve to front valve block is the most common leak, and using a compression fitting that repair is about $30. Level and acceleration sensors very rarely fail. New valve blocks are expensive, but they can be inexpensively rebuilt.

Thanks that's good to know. I am getting the "drive carefully" abc light when I hit a hard bump which i think suggests a failing accumulator, although I do not know which one. Also the car sometimes sags when left for a while but rises back up when I start the car. Sounds like these are not major enough to warrant giving up on abc. I'm a DIY so I plan to do it all myself; actually, due to covid, I don't even have plates yet and is just sitting in my garage waiting to be released...
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Thanks that's good to know. I am getting the "drive carefully" abc light when I hit a hard bump which i think suggests a failing accumulator, although I do not know which one. Also the car sometimes sags when left for a while but rises back up when I start the car. Sounds like these are not major enough to warrant giving up on abc. I'm a DIY so I plan to do it all myself; actually, due to covid, I don't even have plates yet and is just sitting in my garage waiting to be released...

That warning light from hitting bumps all points to a system spike in pressure, which means your accumulators are shot and not absorbing the impact. Change out the front and rear and see if you still get that message, sagging is likely from a valve block oRing.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
You cannot compare a coil over system without sway bars to the stock suspension. I have never driven an r230 with coil overs, but I will eventually replace mine to the VVK system when the time comes. I have a very small leak at the pump and everything is original on my 93k mile 07.

I have had coil overs on almost all my previous vehicles and I like the ride.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
The performance of the ABC system is so good that it is worth the upkeep, IMHO.

That said, if I ever was considering anything other than ABC on an R230, it would be the VVK kit.

Sway bars are absolutely necessary if you plan on actually driving the car.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
I have Strutmasters on my 2004 Sl500 and it handles fine without swaybars. As for the ABC module you can use Star to remove it. As for the comparison to a Toyota I think that is silly. Knowing my car won't be on the ground without a moments notice makes me more confident in driving a 14 year old car without relying on hoses, pumps and all that other stuff mentioned here all the time that fail. I love the increased reliability of an already too complicated automobile.
The following users liked this post:
Geo3 (09-22-2020)