SL/R230: Key Fob dead- has new battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 550SL
Key Fob dead- has new battery

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was roused from a deep slumber yesterday morning at 4 AM to the sound of the alarm of my 2008 550SL in the garage.

I grabbed a set of keys and went into the garage. Pressing any of the buttons on the key fob did nothing, so I got into the car and inserted the key into the ignition, which shut down the alarm. There were no errors or warnings that appeared on the display. I thought maybe the Aux battery was drained- as I didn't have it on the battery tender (I had driven it that day- but didn't hook it up)- so I went ahead and put it back on the tender. After I officially woke up at a reasonable hour, I checked the fob- and the car wouldn't lock/unlock or pop the trunk. Dead fob battery, I thought. I learned online that a dead/dying fob can trigger the alarm- so I thought no more about it and resigned myself to replacing the key fob, no big deal.

Went and had the fob battery replaced. Returned home- and still nothing with that fob. Pulled the manual key out of the fob and the alarm starts to blare. Grab my spare fob and get the alarm turned off.

The car has been on the tender for 2 days now, and has not completed- the notification light is still red.

Should I be calling the dealership on this to check for faults? I put a new aux battery in the car less than one year ago.

Your expertise and feedback are appreciated.

JVN
Tampa