SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Slow door locks and trunk release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG
Slow door locks and trunk release

I’ve owned my SL65 for about a year and the door locks have always been slow, both locking and unlocking. Recently the passenger door has periodically stopped unlocking on the first attempt.

Also, the trunk is slow to pop open. Sometimes after I pull and release the handle, I have to wait several seconds and then it finally pops. The soft close is working.

Battery voltage is good, the car can sit for over a week without getting the “consumers offline” message.

Could this mean the PSE pump is weak? Is there a way I can troubleshoot this with SDS?

The PSE hasn’t disabled anything and I haven’t needed to pull fuses or reset it.

Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2020, 03:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
2021 E350 (W213)
Under the spare tire in the middle of the trunk is a grey plastic box with a single air line connected to it. This acts as a simple air storage tank for the PSE. I've seen one car where this was leaking which caused PSE to be slow to build pressure for locks. I suggest checking that the line is connect to this and you don't see any cracks.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:14 PM

2005 SL65 AMG
I checked the tank and it’s definitely holding air. I could hear the air escape when I disconnected the tube from it.

So, I played around with the locks some more and realized they seem to work normally when you lock/unlock them with the buttons on the dashboard.

When I use the remote, both doors will lock but only the drivers door will unlock and it’s very slow. I tried my second remote and it worked the exact same way. Even if I keep pressing the unlock button on the remote, the passenger side door will not unlock.

How can it be possible for the locks to behave differently when activated with the remote vs the dashboard buttons??!

Last edited by sivikvtec; 10-24-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:44 PM

2005 SL65 AMG
So it does take more air pressure to lock/unlock with the remote vs the dashboard buttons!

This is because the storage compartments behind the seats and the glovebox lock/unlock with the remote, but NOT with the dashboard buttons.

hmmm, not sure what do do next.

I do hear a loud air hiss around the passenger door when it locks. Maybe the actuator is leaking on that door, but then wouldn’t it be disabled by the PSE pump until the PSE pump was reset? Or does the PSE never disable the door locks like it does other accessories when they leak due to safety concerns??
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
2021 E350 (W213)
There is a good video on youtube about taking the door apart. I've taken the window switch out of the drivers door, but never looked at the locking mechanism. I've only fixed air leaks in the seats.

The plastic on the door panels is very brittle, so be careful. You're also guaranteed to break all the clips along the bottom of the door panel. Be sure to buy replacements before starting the job.