SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: A weekend with Pmercury AKA Benz Ninja

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2020 | 07:02 PM

SL500
A weekend with Pmercury AKA Benz Ninja

I am a newbie so I am sure many here already had this experience. Nevertheless, it should be said anyway. I decided when I purchased my 2004 SL 500 If I was going to afford this vehicle I would need to say away from the Dealership if possible. With so much to learn about this vehicle and all the great posts here I have learned much. The most important subject always seems to revolve around diagnosis and correction of issues which are done by the DAS Xentry System. Convinced that was the way I contacted Pmercury (BenzNinga) to obtain the Factory Diagnosis System. Peter is a fabulous guy who has the patience of a Saint. He told me what I needed to build the system and the computer preparation for the system. When this was completed to his specifications the fun began.

Friday and Saturday were spent by him preparing the computer and downloading all the files. Approximately 6 hours of work. With complete communication between us during the process. Sunday was devoted to using the system to diagnosis my car. Faults were discovered some I never knew I had. Corrections were made to totally outdated never performed updates by any dealer for the Engine and the Transmission. Parts that need to be replaced were identified. And Peter even created two new driving settings in addition to Sport and Comfort. He spent 4 hours doing all of this! I cannot express my thanks to him and tell you that he is the best guy you ever want to meet. Thanks Peter!!!! Gene oh and by the way this all happened from Europe to the USA

Last edited by Gene Fiorot; 11-02-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
The following 9 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
chassis (11-02-2020), Geo3 (11-03-2020), HLG600 (11-03-2020), jmirgy (08-13-2022), kjb55 (11-04-2020), pmercury (11-03-2020), Starfleet56 (11-05-2020), tonylinc (11-02-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2020 | 08:46 PM

SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
Pmercury, a Benz hero!
The following 3 users liked this post by tonylinc:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), kjb55 (11-04-2020), pmercury (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 02:57 AM

2007 SL550, 2006 E350
Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
I am a newbie so I am sure many here already had this experience. Nevertheless, it should be said anyway. I decided when I purchased my 2004 SL 500 If I was going to afford this vehicle I would need to say away from the Dealership if possible. With so much to learn about this vehicle and all the great posts here I have learned much. The most important subject always seems to revolve around diagnosis and correction of issues which are done by the DAS Xentry System. Convinced that was the way I contacted Pmercury (BenzNinga) to obtain the Factory Diagnosis System. Peter is a fabulous guy who has the patience of a Saint. He told me what I needed to build the system and the computer preparation for the system. When this was completed to his specifications the fun began.

Friday and Saturday were spent by him preparing the computer and downloading all the files. Approximately 6 hours of work. With complete communication between us during the process. Sunday was devoted to using the system to diagnosis my car. Faults were discovered some I never knew I had. Corrections were made to totally outdated never performed updates by any dealer for the Engine and the Transmission. Parts that need to be replaced were identified. And Peter even created two new driving settings in addition to Sport and Comfort. He spent 4 hours doing all of this! I cannot express my thanks to him and tell you that he is the best guy you ever want to meet. Thanks Peter!!!! Gene oh and by the way this all happened from Europe to the USA
The best choice on getting Xentry system!!!
I am sure that you will be as happy as I am when Peter built the system for me a few months ago. His support is priceless and the system is rock solid!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by vkovaler888:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), kjb55 (11-04-2020), pmercury (11-03-2020), Starfleet56 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-03-2020 | 10:12 AM

CL
Thank you !
happy to see that the "ABC lights" warning on your struts converted SL did not came back that after I programmed it without removing the unit
I never had a struts converted test car to program on
that was a nice premiere and adventure

Conclusion, on a suspension ABC removed converted SL, all warning light can be removed
no fuse removal, no unit removal, no disconnecting
pm me if you need this

more hot hacks by me here:

Agility Analog Sport+ mode
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...port-mode.html

AMG P30 Nurburgring ABC upgrade
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...c-upgrade.html

Last edited by pmercury; 11-03-2020 at 10:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pmercury:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), kjb55 (11-04-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-03-2020 | 10:15 AM

SL500
It is truly Wonderfulness. I am happy to see you recognize it. With all the posts you have made regarding this subject I am surprised that you are asking me those questions. You must already know Peter has a special group of sellers of Multiplexers that he has approved and provide the proper working equipment. As for any costs which can vary with the computer which is necessary and what Peter charges for his service. I am sure if you ask him you can find out directly. Thanks Gene
The following 4 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
kjb55 (11-04-2020), NHSl550 (11-03-2020), pmercury (11-03-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-03-2020 | 10:17 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by pmercury
Thank you !
happy to see that the "ABC lights" warning on your struts converted SL did not came back that after I programmed it without removing the unit
I never had a struts converted test car to program on
that was a nice premiere and adventure

Conclusion, on a suspension ABC removed converted SL, all warning light can be removed
no fuse removal, no unit removal, no disconnecting
pm me if you need this
Yes! I forgot to mention that !
The following users liked this post:
pmercury (11-03-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 08:46 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by bobterry99
Correct. Will you share with the readers of this forum where you got your multiplexer?

I've never been critical of the quality of Peter's service. My issue is with the cost. There's simply no need to spend more than c. $400 for a quality Star Diagnosis System.
I think you need to realize, as you put it "Peter's service", is exactly that, his. So if you are wanting to use the service, he provides the information necessary to enable a factory real MB Xentry System., not hacked Chinese software or multiplexers which are not reliable. But as I read your comment it seems you can build a system for 400 dollars. So you are all set then and really don't have to worry about those who chose an option they find to be superior. But more to the point it is not about hardware it is about a service. I expect to pay for Service. I will go out on a limb and say many guys here have no idea how to use Xentry and aren't going to learn anytime soon. Me included. Which gets back to the Wonderfulness of The Benz Ninja Service. Is it me or are you trolling a bit here? I recall past posts made by you raising the same issue over again many times. It is not really necessary. Thanks Gene
The following 4 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), kjb55 (11-04-2020), pmercury (11-04-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-04-2020 | 10:16 AM

R230 350SL
Yawn......... here we go again.
The following 2 users liked this post by matk:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), WurlitzBurg (01-07-2021)
Old 11-04-2020 | 10:25 AM

SL500
Right. I understand Peter's service. I understand the motivation to spend (c. $400?) with him. I don't understand your refusal to answer a simple inquiry into where you bought your multiplexer. I'm certain I'm not the only one interested. Whatever -- I'm not going to badger you.

Incidentally, Peter isn't the only individual providing a software installation service. Over on ******* there are members there who will provide a Star Diagnosis setup remotely for as little as $100.
Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem. It is not installation service it is the service after the installation. As for Peter's hardware recommendations that is his business not yours. I am sorry if you think that is harsh but if you really don't want to badger me then shut up already. Ok? Thanks Gene
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 10:51 AM

SL500
Hey Dude Now I am a lemming for having a tool that someone else operates for me? And I have some responsibility or obligation now that I own this tool? Open my eyes to exactly What? Do you know how to operate the tool? If so maybe one day I will ask you for help when the cliff arrives. Thanks in advance.. always great to have warm relations in what I consider a Hobby. Gene
The following 3 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), Geo3 (11-04-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:00 PM

2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
Originally Posted by Dudeman
I would drop it Bob. As you can see, once again Peter is going after the newbies, indoctrinates them and gets them to sings the praises.

"I will go out on a limb and say many guys here have no idea how to use Xentry and aren't going to learn anytime soon. Me included."

I've come to the realization that no matter how much we try to open their eyes, it's a losing proposition. As the OP said, he's not interested in learning how to use the Xentry, all he's interested in is to have a tool that's well beyond he's abilities, and relying on someone else to tell him what to do with it, and he's willing to pay for the privilege.

As far as I'm concerned, that's lemmings being lemmings, but sooner or later the cliff comes up.
I believe you and others slamming someone on personal level for his expertise is uncalled for. Peter and others offer assistance to newbies to help get started but also offer advanced assistance for companies as well along with major projects retrofitting engines etc.

Why can’t we all just have opinions without the neegativity. Starting to border on harassment which is against group rules I believe.

In other words nothing positive to share keep it to ourself.

wish everyone luck with their projects and getting an SDS wherever they prefer to get it. It gives all of us Mercedes owners a sense of freedom from relying on dealers who don’t care about helping us upgrade.

cheers

Last edited by AMG_55_cruiser; 11-04-2020 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG_55_cruiser:
Geo3 (11-04-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Dudeman, myself, and many others are accomplished users of Star Diagnosis. Free guidance is always readily available from us to you and anyone else who asks. I could establish a Teamviewer session with those seeking help, but my personal preference is to lend assistance by phone.
Members are free to do as they wish and there is no requirement to respond to these inquisitive questions. I suggest to stop this now...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
AMG_55_cruiser (11-04-2020), Geo3 (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
This Chinese clone via AliExpress nonsense was never going to be an option for me, so I went with a reputable source from Europe and the system worked well, albeit a bit slowly, for me.

After connecting with Peter, I purchased a Xentry build from him using a more powerful spare laptop I had. The build came out great. Much faster and with WIS included, as well as access to MB's database of updates when needed.

Peter is responsive in communication and quick in his turnaround times. Premium product and a premium service...provided at a reasonable premium in price.

To anyone seeking a professional-grade setup, look no further.

The following 3 users liked this post by HLG600:
kjb55 (11-04-2020), NHSl550 (11-04-2020), Starfleet56 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 01:17 PM

SL500
My very own DAS Xentry makes even a lemming happy....Cheers to you Peter.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
jmirgy (08-13-2022), kjb55 (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 01:21 PM

CL
My very own DAS Xentry makes even a lemming happy....Cheers to you Peter.
thank you !

no dirt will change a 100% long satisfaction rate and reputation
Old 11-04-2020 | 01:26 PM

SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
I have five Benzos at the house nowadays and thankfully they all run like made yesterday. I do all my own spark plugs, coils, oil and air filters changes, usually get new mounts upon purchase... and all I have is a $22 generic code reader that uses an app on Android phone! I really should have a star system and one day I may get one. I have a family owned foreign car shop locally that's been in business over 30 years and their techs are former MBZ dealership guyz. Any work they do, they do right, and almost always come in at less that they quoted. Also they guarantee everything they do for three years which is better than you get at a dealership. I trust them a million times more than I trust my local MBZ dealership, for reasons I've told on here before. So if I develop problems that I can't figure out I usually use this shop. I know one thing's sure, if and when I ever get my own Sttr diagnostic I am going to call Peter. At that point I won't even care if the cost is $400 or $600, or even more for a totally turnkey unit, because I know about his expertise and reviews on here. Kudos to all who have their own SDS, wherever you got it! Just LOVE all the Benzos I have ever owned. And the ones I own today. It's always a choice, which one(s) to drive on what day.
jmirgy (08-13-2022)
Old 11-04-2020 | 02:25 PM

CL
Originally Posted by tonylinc
I have five Benzos at the house nowadays and thankfully they all run like made yesterday. I do all my own spark plugs, coils, oil and air filters changes, usually get new mounts upon purchase... and all I have is a $22 generic code reader that uses an app on Android phone! I really should have a star system and one day I may get one. I have a family owned foreign car shop locally that's been in business over 30 years and their techs are former MBZ dealership guyz. Any work they do, they do right, and almost always come in at less that they quoted. Also they guarantee everything they do for three years which is better than you get at a dealership. I trust them a million times more than I trust my local MBZ dealership, for reasons I've told on here before. So if I develop problems that I can't figure out I usually use this shop. I know one thing's sure, if and when I ever get my own Sttr diagnostic I am going to call Peter. At that point I won't even care if the cost is $400 or $600, or even more for a totally turnkey unit, because I know about his expertise and reviews on here. Kudos to all who have their own SDS, wherever you got it! Just LOVE all the Benzos I have ever owned. And the ones I own today. It's always a choice, which one(s) to drive on what day.
You are welcome !
Only the Best !
tonylinc (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 02:55 PM

Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Hey Dude Now I am a lemming for having a tool that someone else operates for me? And I have some responsibility or obligation now that I own this tool? Open my eyes to exactly What? Do you know how to operate the tool? If so maybe one day I will ask you for help when the cliff arrives. Thanks in advance.. always great to have warm relations in what I consider a Hobby. Gene
I don't have a Xentry/DAS, nor do I have an interest in "coding" on my car, which is what Peter usually brings up as one of the advantages of having a DAS over the "beginner" tools like Foxwell NT150. I have a tool that tells me what if anything is wrong with the car, and I learned how to use it and interpret the problems.

As for your comment about not having any idea how to use the Xentry, nor having any intention to learn, then why did you buy this in the first place? It's kind of like buying an expensive car, then asking someone else to drive it for you. I can understand buying the device if you plan on using it for all it's worth, but to each his own.

From my perspective you would have been better off starting by asking questions, and there would have been plenty of free help coming your way.
Old 11-04-2020 | 07:23 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Dudeman
I don't have a Xentry/DAS, nor do I have an interest in "coding" on my car, which is what Peter usually brings up as one of the advantages of having a DAS over the "beginner" tools like Foxwell NT150. I have a tool that tells me what if anything is wrong with the car, and I learned how to use it and interpret the problems.

As for your comment about not having any idea how to use the Xentry, nor having any intention to learn, then why did you buy this in the first place? It's kind of like buying an expensive car, then asking someone else to drive it for you. I can understand buying the device if you plan on using it for all it's worth, but to each his own.

From my perspective you would have been better off starting by asking questions, and there would have been plenty of free help coming your way.
Let me try one more time to make it clear to you.
1. I am not a rich man.
2. At 73 years old I can now enjoy a car costing 100 thousand dollars for a tenth.
3 In order to afford the maintenance of such a car staying out of the dealership is mandatory.
4. I like cars. I have built and restored cars and have a solid understanding of them.
5 I am not a computer guy nor am I an engineer.
6 There are many other activities in my life that require my undivided attention. As a Winemaker that is one of them.
7.I do read here and learn all the time. If you even read my posts you would know I always ask questions but after I try to research on this forum first.
8 I can afford a DAS Xentry System only because when I know what needs to be repaired I can go to my Nephew's shop with the information and get the car fixed without the burden to be put on him. And I get the parts ordered and ready for the fix.
9 Yes I do not have a burning interest in becoming a DAS diagnostic technician. I can afford to pay someone else for that. However I will explore using it possibly as time goes by.
10 Peter Pmercury Benz Ninja provides the service I want.
11. I am not a lemming, I have not violated as far as I know any fraternal Mercedes Rules Book on this forum
12 as for your analogy about a car letting someone else drive is frankly weak. In fact your attempt to ridicule is apparent and not welcomed.
13 Of course you end with to each his own. Maybe you should have written that and first and stopped there.
14 Now Dude why don't you just go away and leave my thread about PMercury and my pleasure dealing with him. Instead of saying I am indoctrinated try saying congratulations on your effort to own a special car my way.
15 Also I have to add that an expert like yourself admitting you have no interest in coding tell me you are not that much of an expert in the first place. After all only lemmings can't code Right?
The following 6 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
chad500sl (11-05-2020), Feuerdrachen (11-10-2020), Geo3 (11-04-2020), jmirgy (08-13-2022), kjb55 (11-04-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-04-2020 | 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2025 AMG E 53 (on order); 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2003 360 Modena
Gene is absolutely correct and I can second and third the positive experience and quality of not only what Peter provides but the support that comes with it. I can sum it up best this way - “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." I purchased, after months of research, from the most reputable China supplier I could feel comfortable with. I had experience with a factory / dealer system - so I had an idea of what to expect. And I knew rather quickly that the software was buggy, diagnostic functions led to nowhere, etc. Luckily I cam across a post from Peter and contacted him. My hardware was fine and his software is absolutely the best. It has worked across many cars ranging from a 2001 E430 to a 2017 GLC 300 and most recently a 2016 E350, and a bunch in between. His software works every time all the time. Visit his sites - Peter DOES NOT misrepresent what he provides and the support he offers. I reached out just today for help with my new to me W212 and had Apple CarPlay and the Eco default setting resolved in minutes. The guy is genius!

As for the burning question of cost - Contact Peter. You’ll be pleasantly surprised. Gene - very well written post and responses. Peter - thanks for doing what you do!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by kjb55:
Geo3 (11-04-2020), jmirgy (08-13-2022), pmercury (11-04-2020), Starfleet56 (11-05-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-04-2020 | 09:07 PM

CL

Last edited by pmercury; 11-05-2020 at 05:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pmercury:
Gene Fiorot (11-05-2020), willienguyen (01-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2020 | 12:27 AM

Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
12 as for your analogy about a car letting someone else drive is frankly weak. In fact your attempt to ridicule is apparent and not welcomed.
14 Now Dude why don't you just go away and leave my thread about PMercury and my pleasure dealing with him. Instead of saying I am indoctrinated try saying congratulations on your effort to own a special car my way.
15 Also I have to add that an expert like yourself admitting you have no interest in coding tell me you are not that much of an expert in the first place. After all only lemmings can't code Right?
1 through 11. Fair enough
12. It was never intended to be point of ridicule, it was just an analogy.
13. If I would have started with to each his own, then you wouldn't have had the opportunity to write this point by point rebuttal
15. I'll answer this one first. I NEVER said I was an expert. In fact far from it. I know just enough to hold my own and take care of my own cars. I said there would be people here who would help. And yes there are quite a few experts here that would help for the asking.
14. Gone !

Last edited by Dudeman; 11-05-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-05-2020 | 01:15 PM

SL500
I personally have no experience with recent offerings of Chinese-sourced software, though some people I know are perfectly fine with it. I do dislike that they run under a virtual machine environment. I personally have 2014 and 2008 releases of Star Diagnosis, and they run perfectly. The 2008 is available as a free download. Anyone interested in the 2008 release can PM me for the download link.
You mentioned starting a thread about this subject I would appreciate if you did that and stop trying to hijack mine. Your offerings have nothing to do with my comments about Pmercury's excellent services. Thank you for your cooperation,
Geo3 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020 | 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Now Now, Let us enjoy our R230's, there is no time to bicker.

Only time for solutions and enhancements of our ownership
Old 11-06-2020 | 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Hi guys - just a word of advice you may want to be aware of - it is obvious the chinese do not care about US or German law, however Daimler, AG, and MBUSA. LLC I am sure do (as well as their attorneys. I am in no place to advice you nor am I an attorney or employee of said companies, but Xentry and Star Diagnosis is copywrited software and it is not inexpensive. As of late, they are ramping up enforcement of their EULA and illegal use of their software. And please don't think they do not monitor these sites..

First, I like to see an MB owner helping another - that's what it is all about. But please protect yourself and others and do not use real names on here in an open forum discussing downloading Daimler's intellectual property, - at least take it private just to stay out of the spotlight.

Just a word of advice. If you have good experience with someone or are seeking these services, take it to PM.

jmirgy (08-13-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: A weekend with Pmercury AKA Benz Ninja