SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: awful tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 SL550
update 5 months later:

I picked up one of the cheaper ($180) scan tools and was able to see the same fault code that my indy saw. I cleared it and then checked for it again after the traction control light came on during some mildly spirited driving. The fault was not there so it was a red herring.

I needed to replace my front tires and I went ahead and replaced the almost new Continental tires with a full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (could find the newer 4S in my rear tire size). The traction control issues are gone! I don't think the Continentals are bad but somehow there was a mismatch with the Michelin fronts.

Thanks for all of the suggestions here.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:08 PM
SPONSOR

Received 818 Likes on 634 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
pressure is important
what average/year temps drive
rain or not
and top speeds
allover I am now on pirelli P0 I go over 200mph once in a while, don't want to die yet
my members wouln't apreciate either
Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 SL550
Thanks BenzNinja. I tried several different pressures. This occurred over a 6 month period and I was able to make it consistently happen on specific curves at moderate speeds (one time a Tahoe was next to me and took the curve at the same speed and traction control kicked in and slowed me down, pathetic).

The car didn't like having high performance summer tires in front and all-weather tires in the rear. It was my mistake for not checking more carefully when ordering the rears. Glad this is behind me. It's no fun to drive this car when it's freaking out during moderate curves but it did hold the line.