SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 Sl500 electrical gremlin. I need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG , 14 GL 350 Bluetec ( Sold)12 ML 350 Bluetec 2007 S65 AMG , 2008 CL63 AMG
2003 Sl500 electrical gremlin. I need help!

I’m looking for help with my 2003 Sl500, started a couple months ago, I had it at my INDY, then I took it to the dealer. And my problem still excist.
Here is what’s going on:
All the light flashing ( every 2-3 sec) on exterior and interior , blower motor dosnt work, and steering wheel adjustment won’t work only to put it in . Also once in a while randomly the windshield wipers turn on. I have no codes in the system anywhere.
Indy replaced battery in the trunk, and checked all the grounds made no difference, so they give up. When I took it to the dealer they check the system but apparently found nothing wrong. They played with the light switch and it stopped flickering so they give it back and told me that if the problem comes back I probably need a new switch. Next day after I picked up the car started flickering again. I disconnected the rear battery for 10 min. Then the flickering stopped. After a few minutes I figured I try if the steering wheel adjustment works and the moment I touched it the lights started flickering again. I really don’t know where to go from here or what to do. The dealer just wants to throw parts at it , I don’t really wanna do that blindly. If anyone has any suggestions or had a similar issue before please help me figure this out.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 189 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
In general, with these glitches in seemingly unrelated components, a usual suspect is the computer which coordinates the other computers: your EIS (electronic ignition switch, near the starter key). I had mine replaced, a dealer job. They made me sign a disclaimer because I didn’t want a diagnosis done. Expect to pay $1.000 or so.
You’ll find lots of info about EIS on this and other forums.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Bigzzz326
I’m looking for help with my 2003 Sl500, started a couple months ago, I had it at my INDY, then I took it to the dealer. And my problem still excist.
Here is what’s going on:
All the light flashing ( every 2-3 sec) on exterior and interior , blower motor dosnt work, and steering wheel adjustment won’t work only to put it in . Also once in a while randomly the windshield wipers turn on. I have no codes in the system anywhere.
Indy replaced battery in the trunk, and checked all the grounds made no difference, so they give up. When I took it to the dealer they check the system but apparently found nothing wrong. They played with the light switch and it stopped flickering so they give it back and told me that if the problem comes back I probably need a new switch. Next day after I picked up the car started flickering again. I disconnected the rear battery for 10 min. Then the flickering stopped. After a few minutes I figured I try if the steering wheel adjustment works and the moment I touched it the lights started flickering again. I really don’t know where to go from here or what to do. The dealer just wants to throw parts at it , I don’t really wanna do that blindly. If anyone has any suggestions or had a similar issue before please help me figure this out.
disconnect the steering wheel adjustment on the column and try again