SL/R230: DIY Replace KEYLESS GO BUTTON COVER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
DIY Replace KEYLESS GO BUTTON COVER

Last month, I noticed the keyless-go button cover on the driver door of my 2003 SL55 was coming apart (and then closely inspected the passenger button cover and saw it was headed that way as well), so I bought a set of button covers from a vender on amazon (for $25/pair shipped). According to the Amazon Ad, these same parts work on "W211 W220 C209 C215 W219 R230 W251 X164 W164 E S R CLK CL CLS SL GL ML" as well, so the same install procedure would likely apply.

EDIT 8-12-21 (old amazon link no longer works ... here is a new link to the same/similar product) if this one (below) does not work, just search amazon for

"X8R Repair Kit For Keyless Go Door Handle Buttons Rubber Driver Passenger Front Back Applicable To Mercedes Benz Part # X8R0155"

https://www.amazon.com/X8R-Keyless-Passenger-Applicable-Mercedes/dp/B07WX345Z4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=r230+Button-Keyless-Go&qid=1628791963&sr=8-1

The good news is that it is an easy install and it comes out looking MUCH better than the pictures in the amazon Ad would suggest.

I took a few pics to show how easy it is (and the steps I took).

parts/supplies :
>set of button covers (also available for one side only)
>jewelers flat blade screwdriver (approx 1/16" wide .... you want a blade that is just slightly narrower than the width of the black plastic to which the button is attached)
>super glue (cyanoacrylate)
>accelerator for super glue (this is what I use https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/insta_set.html)
>Blue painters tape
>magnifying goggles and good light (for my aging eyes : )

1) Tape a pad (cloth, or bag, etc) below the handle to protect the door from accidental drip, etc

2) Tape closely around button (I did it later in the process in the pics, but there is zero reason not to do it at the beginning of the process).

3) pull center of button cover being removed out a little and (carefully) get blade of screw driver between rubber cover and black plastic that it is attached to. I found that starting at the bottom worked best. Once you have begun to separate the button from the black plastic, you can slowly pull it away (using the screwdriver to assist). I began this project assuming that I would find some factory adhesive (or would be doing trimming of some sort), but found the rubber separated from the plastic VERY cleanly with little difficulty (perhaps the 2 piece are heat bonded during manufacture or there is only a thin film of rubber from the button that wraps around the edge of the plastic? but in any case, it seems to come apart cleanly).

4) verify that the plastic is clear of button-rubber (see pic)

NOTE: The next steps should be done in the order shown and relatively quickly ... so, you will want to have all of your materials ready and study the pictures BEFORE proceeding.

5) take new button and lay it face down (as shown) on a small piece of tape (this gives you a way to hold it without getting super glue on your fingers, etc)

6) apply a thin layer of accelerator to the black plastic in the door handle

7) while keeping it steady by holding edge of tape, apply a very thin layer of crazy glue to raised lip of new button

8) still holding it only by the tape, carefully push button cover into position and hold for at least 5 seconds.

(best to look over pics below before starting)

Peel the center out and begin removal at bottom of button cover

The remaining black plastic behind the button should look something like this when you have remove it

Carefully tape around button area, and then apply accelerator to black plastic (only) right before you are ready to apply supper glue to new button

Place new button (old button shown) with its outside face on a piece of tape (so you can hold it) and then apply a very thin layer of crazy glue to the raised lip (only to the face that will touch the "black plastic")

ALL DONE and good as new : )

Cheers and Safe, Happy Holidays to all !
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-12-2021 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by latemodel21:
BrianA. (01-14-2021), Sozo (06-10-2021)