SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC Visit Workshop, pump noise and a small leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 01:54 AM

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
ABC Visit Workshop, pump noise and a small leak

Greetings from Melbourne Australia. Hoping for some help which will be most appreciated.

I've read various threads on this but am no further enlightened on what the issue may be. I'll summarise it all in point form.
  • Each time I start the car, I get a quite loud clack clack clack sound for a few seconds - sort of like a muted machine gun. Then it disappears.
  • If I start the car from cold and leave it idling, it probably will not show the ABC Visit Workshop message.
  • If I start it from hot and leave it idling, it probably will show the message.
  • If I start it and drive off, I can drive for hours and the message will not appear.
  • So it seems to be revs-dependent, and when the car is hot.
  • When I take off, as the revs increase, the sound comes back, then goes away as the revs increase further.
  • Cruising at high revs, the sound does not appear to be present.
  • There is a small leak from the ABC pump - I think - as evidenced by oil on top of the engine protection steel pan and onto the ground, but I am not sure if this is from the ABC pump or from another source.
SO is this my ABC pump failing and losing pressure - resulting in that message - or something else?
Should I get the dealer to diagnose it?

Additionally, the ride has become very bouncy and undamped over bumps. I have been told that this is the accumulators failing.

Where are they, how many are there and should they be changed, and are they connected to the clack clack clack noise as mentioned above?

I have recently changed the ABC pulsation damper under the front guard which cured a bad vibration. Worked perfectly.

I have posted this on the 'other' forum as I am not sure which forum is more populated with users now.

With thanks

Tom Manning