SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Wanting to add a rear camera and bare-basic navigation to a 2005 SL500 in NorCal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Wanting to add a rear camera and bare-basic navigation to a 2005 SL500 in NorCal

Hi all

Last year I purchased a 2005 SL500 from a friend of mine as a daily commuter to-and-from work, and I've been using the time since to repair basic mechanical things on the car. And since I've been using it, I'm feeling like I really need to add a rear parking camera and a very basic, new audio set-up that will allow navigation, blu-tooth phone/audio connectivity, and possibly a USB port that can play simple mp3 files. I'm not looking for a movie/dvd player, or to add any additional speakers/subs/etc. But I'm also not opposed to adding them if they come standard with the basic stuff I am looking for anyways, so please don't think I'm dead set against them or want to be cheap with the devices I purchase. I just want what will work (relatively) hassle free that won't break down or cause the car to break down.

Also, I mention my mechanical repairs only because I've asked mechanics for a year now about who could do this kind of work. But they all just point me in the direction of local car-audio shops who I've had previous (bad) experiences with, as well as my reading of multiple threads on this forum about how specific you need to be when replacing and rewiring audio components in this model vehicle. I can't find any local stores that say they specialize in Mercedes cars, and, unfortunately, I am not mechanically savvy one bit to try any of this myself.

Is there anyone on these forums who knows of a good audio shop who has experience with these types of upgrades and vehicle in Northern California? If not, can anyone point me the right direction as far as what specific components I should look into buying and what specific instructions I could show to an installer and have them follow?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-08-2021, 12:25 AM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
There was a high end audio shop on Steven's Creek near the BMW dealer in San Jose. Sounds vague but it was a couple years back, they were constantly working on MB's.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:06 PM

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 SL550, 2006 E350
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar
Hi all

Last year I purchased a 2005 SL500 from a friend of mine as a daily commuter to-and-from work, and I've been using the time since to repair basic mechanical things on the car. And since I've been using it, I'm feeling like I really need to add a rear parking camera and a very basic, new audio set-up that will allow navigation, blu-tooth phone/audio connectivity, and possibly a USB port that can play simple mp3 files. I'm not looking for a movie/dvd player, or to add any additional speakers/subs/etc. But I'm also not opposed to adding them if they come standard with the basic stuff I am looking for anyways, so please don't think I'm dead set against them or want to be cheap with the devices I purchase. I just want what will work (relatively) hassle free that won't break down or cause the car to break down.

Also, I mention my mechanical repairs only because I've asked mechanics for a year now about who could do this kind of work. But they all just point me in the direction of local car-audio shops who I've had previous (bad) experiences with, as well as my reading of multiple threads on this forum about how specific you need to be when replacing and rewiring audio components in this model vehicle. I can't find any local stores that say they specialize in Mercedes cars, and, unfortunately, I am not mechanically savvy one bit to try any of this myself.

Is there anyone on these forums who knows of a good audio shop who has experience with these types of upgrades and vehicle in Northern California? If not, can anyone point me the right direction as far as what specific components I should look into buying and what specific instructions I could show to an installer and have them follow?

Thanks so much!
I completed this project on my 09SL and I am in San Jose. If you are close by I can show you how I did it.