SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Front leaking strut but sits level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
Front leaking strut but sits level

I have 2008 550 and took it for a vehicle inspection, the right front shock/strut is leaking but the car sits where it should or at least always has. It does seem soft when pushing down on the front though like worn out standard shocks would feel like. To replace I have read I need a star and I have read I don't so I guess no idea there as it is all over the map. Dealer is 100 miles from here and are crooks in the highest sense of the word. Can I replace myself? I have a shop, hoist, tools and a pretty good mechanic but I don't have a star of course. How is it possible for them to be leaking and not be sitting low?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 245 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Originally Posted by CHolmes
I have 2008 550 and took it for a vehicle inspection, the right front shock/strut is leaking but the car sits where it should or at least always has. It does seem soft when pushing down on the front though like worn out standard shocks would feel like. To replace I have read I need a star and I have read I don't so I guess no idea there as it is all over the map. Dealer is 100 miles from here and are crooks in the highest sense of the word. Can I replace myself? I have a shop, hoist, tools and a pretty good mechanic but I don't have a star of course. How is it possible for them to be leaking and not be sitting low?
Official procedure would call for recalibration with DAS, but you should be okay skipping it. That said, you need to either get a Mercedes specific scanner or find an Indy that has one. It is constantly feed fluid, so minor leeks won't affect level.