SL/R230: 2008 SL 550 car trying to stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 06:17 PM
KCG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 SL550
2008 SL 550 car trying to stall

Just got the car this past winter and had everything checked out. Car runs great except three different times when I pressed on the gas the car engine would rev and car would sputter. I pulled over to the side and turn the car off a few minutes and it would run fine. Today it did it twice and I have no idea what the issue is. There are no warning lights or indication what the issue is. Will a diagnostic indicate the issue. I don’t want to tell the wife there’s issues with a car we’ve had for less than 6 months. I want to get it resolve before she wants to drive it. Does this sound like an expensive fix. You don’t think it’s bad gas, the hesitation seems like it wants to back fire.

Last edited by KCG; 05-22-2021 at 06:18 PM. Reason: More information
Old 05-22-2021, 11:34 PM

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 SL550, 2006 E350
Originally Posted by KCG
Just got the car this past winter and had everything checked out. Car runs great except three different times when I pressed on the gas the car engine would rev and car would sputter. I pulled over to the side and turn the car off a few minutes and it would run fine. Today it did it twice and I have no idea what the issue is. There are no warning lights or indication what the issue is. Will a diagnostic indicate the issue. I don’t want to tell the wife there’s issues with a car we’ve had for less than 6 months. I want to get it resolve before she wants to drive it. Does this sound like an expensive fix. You don’t think it’s bad gas, the hesitation seems like it wants to back fire.
I had very similar experience a while ago and it was the throttle position sensor in the gas pedal assembly that was malfunctioning. If you connect the scanner, and see errors related to throttle position sensor, then it would be an indication of bad gas pedal. I replaced it and did not see the problems since.