SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: mounting of front plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 E450 4Matic
mounting of front plate

I live in a state that requires front plates to be mounted. Still, the rule is largely ignored, and I have not received a ticket in the last 20 years of driving with just a rear plate. I simply do NOT want to have the dealer drill holes in the front bumper to mount the front bracket. The times that I do need to mount the front plate (during vehicle inspections, etc) I came up with a temporary mounting where I permanently affix the plate to the front bracket, then attach the bracket to the bumper with velcro. My question is: Does anyone have a more elegant solution or does a company supply such a temporary mount as a standard item. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
When you say "during vehicle inspections", do you mean when you're having your car serviced at the dealership?? My parents don't have their front license plates on('03 ML55,'00 E320), and the dealer the car was bought from didn't drill holes in the front bumper, and our local dealer we have it serviced at has never mentioned anything about it, and we do live in CA where it's a law to have both plates on. If I were you, I'd just keep the front one off and don't worry about it....
Old 09-13-2004, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Some cities in the US require your car to get inspected once a year for EPA stuff, like pollution, at an inspection station. I wish the police would stop cars that have heavy pollution coming out of the exhaust. Sometimes I can not enjoy driving around with my top down because of the polluters.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:18 AM

2021 E450 4Matic
The state I'm in

Massachusetts requires a "vehicle safety inspection" once a year, and they check for the front plate. No plate; then you get a big, red "REJECTED" sticker put on your windshield until you comply. There is also an emmisions test you have to pass unless your car is 12 years old or older. They are exempt. On the road, if you are stopped without a front plate, you are subject to a $50 fine, Which results in the loss of your "safe driver credit" that year on your insurance ($900 for me). A couple times a year, when the city needs money, they have units by the side of the road check for expired tags, no front plates. etc. For these times, I need a front plate attached. btw, I was stopped 2 years ago (verbal warning) and was told by the officer that they specifically target people in "nice cars" to ticket. They don't consider owners of nice cars to be "working people"; so they can easily afford the fine.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Odd ... I don’t have the front plate on my SL here in MA, managed to get two speeding tickets lately (I’m driving slower now) and neither cop mentioned it. Nor did the people doing the inspection sticker. I fact I never had a front plate on the R129 I drove here for eight years and 90,000 miles and never had a problem.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:17 AM

2021 E450 4Matic
You should play the lottery!

You must be blessed! I can understand that the ticketing officer's didn't notice your missing plate, as they missed mine for a speeding violation as well, but the state inspection stations are specifically required to look for a "permanently mounted front plate". Sooner or later, you'll find this out to be the case. In the meantime, enjoy your incredible luck!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:18 AM

2021 E450 4Matic
amazing

FYI, the following is from the Mass Registry of motor vehicle website FAQ:

" #21) I was told my vehicle failed because I only have one plate. I am certain I was only issued one plate. What should I do?

Motor vehicles in Massachusetts must have two plates affixed to the vehicle, except for vehicles with the green and white passenger plate (which is being phased out) and Dealer, Repair, Owner-Contractor, and Farm plates. If you have lost your second plate, the easiest solution is to simply request new plates from the Registry, and then have your vehicle re-inspected with the new plates. "

further!

"#22) I was told my vehicle failed because the dealer license plate fraame obstructs the logo "The Spirit of America" or "Massachusetts."

Regulations require that all letters, numbers, stickers, and symbols must be clearly visible on the number plate. A number plate frame that obstructs any part of the plate is illegal, and you could be fined for having an obstructed plate.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
It’s weird: I have actually been a very lucky driver over time; for example, walking away from a couple serious crashes without a scratch. Also, until recently I received no tickets in several years despite my consistently driving 90 to 100-plus. Even the recent tickets were relatively low-speed affairs where I didn’t get in trouble except for the fine. I’ve taken these to heart and significantly toned down my behavior, as if someone is trying to tell me something. The way things are going, my luck has probably changed enough for me to get pulled over for the missing plate!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:54 AM

2021 E450 4Matic
Be prepared

FWIW, I've driven 20 years without a front plate, with few incidents. For those pesky radar, and registry, traps I keep the front plate within arm's reach and place it discreetly on the dash for the benefit for those with interested eyes. With a prepared excuse of something like: "My front plate just came off at the local carwash, and I'm waiting for my local dealer to get me a new bracket". So far, so good.