SL/R230: 2003 SL55 ABC Pressure Relief Valve Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sl55
2003 SL55 ABC Pressure Relief Valve Leak

Hi Guys,

Traced the ABC leak behind the left front wheel to the pressure relief valve in the supply valve assembly. It is not the o-ring,
it is coming out the little hole in the end. I know I have front and rear accumulators that need replacing. I do not have SDS handy to check the actual
system pressure. Any way to tell if the system pressure is actually too high? Related to the accumulator issue? Replace this part and see what happens?
What do you suggest?

Old 07-23-2021, 10:21 PM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
If both your accumulators are blown, the pressure peak that occurs at each piston stroke has nowhere to go. So pressure can easily exceed rated system pressure and trigger the relief valve for a short moment.
Get those accumulators replaced, and the problem will be solved.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sl55
Yes, thanks. I notice Supply Valves on EBay have a plug where mine is spewing oil. Hitting a bump hard may have added enough extra pressure to pop the plug.
Tapped a 5/16th thread into it an installed a shortened bolt with lock-tite and an O-Ring to get it operational so I can drive it gently around town at least, while i wait
for new accumulators and a used supply valve to arrive. Time for a flush/filter as well.
For anybody doing the same thing, make sure to put a wad of something in the hole before running the tap, then shake out any metal shards, remove the wad, and
blow it out with high pressure air to ensure no metal shavings end up in the system.