SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: creaking suspension requires $1400 fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 08:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts
SL500
These are great cars

Last edited by Gene Fiorot; 09-13-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:11 AM

Received 414 Likes on 286 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Tony surely ruined this thread

Was looking for good info and ran into that train wreck. Seems like he or his daddy are rich and have the ability to have cars in great condition and for very short periods of time. Therefore he has no need for this diy and informational forum and should just be banned.

tony, you really are clueless as to how to fix the ops problem. Perhaps you just go out and play with your toys by yourself and insta or whatever you people do when not showing off your arrogance. Stay home tony

op

to get you back on track, bushings wear depending on driving location and the environment. Some people use lube to diagnose as it does not fix or help long term, unless there is a zerk fitting in the bushing. Blue devil has a product some people use on rubber bushings in order to rejuvenate them BEFORE they crack. Good luck, it will be fine and is an easy repair.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
280SL
I subscribe to forums like this to get a better understanding of how to deal with issues and share information I have learned. Nothing in the recent posts in this thread has provided any value to the subject issue at hand and has become so tedious there is no purpose in reading it any further. Dignity and respect for fellow contributors was forgotten here and is disappointing to anyone who took the time to read what was written.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:05 AM

SL500
All I can add to this is do not buy separate bushings. A few of the individual new components have the bushings included and pressed in place. In order to press a bushing in needs a special tool for the press as the shoulder on the bushing is very narrow. There is a good chance your shop, like mine, did not have the proper die for the press. BenzNinja had a picture of control arms with Ball Bearing Bushings. Super Custom.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:57 PM

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
My front end was creaking and I used white lithium grease in a spray can with the little red straw and now the car is quiet, so how is that not a fix, if it squeaks again in a few months well.... lube it again? Or spend a thousand bucks and get new updated control arms. It's your car

Last edited by tonylinc; 09-12-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:59 PM

Clue" white lithium grease, or $1400 at a dirty unscrupulous MBZ dealership. Last time I took my car to a genuine Mercedes dealership for servicing they stole the nice fresh new floor mats out of my car. I spent eight bucks on the lithium grease, to stop the squeaking, if it works, what's the problem

Last edited by tonylinc; 09-12-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:10 PM

SL500
Love these cars

Last edited by Gene Fiorot; 09-13-2021 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:13 PM

Some of the people on this forum are so disrespectful. If I say my front end squeaked and I stopped the squeaking with lithium grease, and you don't believe me, then go ahead and spend thousands of dollars,

Last edited by tonylinc; 09-13-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:37 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by tonylinc
You know what, after posting this message I am going to close my account on MBworld, I thought it was fun and being a nice guy sharing what I have learned after 25 years of Mercedes ownership and over 20 different Mercedes Benz cars, including R107, R129s, W202s, W124s, W201, W140, W126, W163, W164, W220, W221, and some others I can't even remember right now, but I don't come on here to be insulted, or called a Liar!
Gene you can shove it, I feel sorry for you, your mother obviously raised a jacka$$. Maybe it's an Australia thing but I don't think so.
I have always been kind, truthful and very highly respectful of everyone on this forum.
I don't need this forum- I just thought it was nice to help others. But I have many other ways of sharing my knowledge with others who value it. And a million other ways to have fun. Bye

Old 09-12-2021, 01:55 PM

SL500
Here is where I got mine ...https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/KR-2113304911 and I also changed the camber and caster adjusting bolts to make alignment a breeze. And all the parts were under 225.00 dollars. and 2 hours labor. far from thousands of dollars.

Last edited by Gene Fiorot; 09-13-2021 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:57 PM

If it squeaks and you lube it and it's perfect after that and you paid eight bucks for a can of white spray lithium grease and didn't spend $1400 on new control arms, then you saved about $1392.00
If it drives perfectly after that ...then drive it and enjoy it. If not then go ahead and get new front end parts. Either way, good luck

Last edited by tonylinc; 09-13-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:24 AM

SL500
I thought you were going to quit the forum? And you deleted all those wacko posts. And now you start again !!!! Here Tony let everyone read your apology to me
The Real One as you call it
Here is My apology ( a real one..)Yes and it is an actual apology, I said some things I may not have usually said, that being said, it has been a VERY many years since anyone, and I do mean ANYONE has insulted me, least of all on a Mwercedes forum where we all have the same cars that we know and love. I therefore do not take being insulted well at all, and I have absolutely no patience for such BS. I even contacted MBworld webmasters asking them to de-commission or delete my user ID and close my account as I will no longer be participating on this forum. I love my R230, and actually all my Benzos otherwise I would buy something else. I would have two R230's than a lambo or a ferrari, and I can afford literally any car I want, save for the old collectible ferraris that are going for millions of dollars. But between my SL600 and my SL550, and if I want to roar loudly my Maserati, I have no need for any other cars. For picking up people at the airport I have my S Class and for shopping etc I have my GL mercedes SUV. And I also have other cars as well. My car insurance costs me about $5000 a year, and that's only because when it was over $8000 a year I complained and shopped around. Hell, my coffee table cost more then $10,000 so when I say that people respect me I'm not dumb enough to think it's only because of my character but also because of my money. Which, people shouldn't respect others because of their money. But, what I'm saying is it's been many years since someone disrespected me or called me a liar. I actually am truthful when I say my cars don't need front end work, I couldn't understand why that is so difficult to believe. Either way, if any of them become screwed up or wear out then I get them fixed. I'm a blowhard? Maybe I ramble on a bit and maybe that can bother people. I thought people go to forums to read what others have to say. I apologize if I come across as a snob, I'm really not. I have friends who are way richer than me and we are all pretty down to earth. I have a few friends who are really poor one buddy has a house he inherited built in the 1880s that needs a new roof costing about $60,000 and I help them out a lot but I'm not buying them a new roof. I have another friend I went to college with 40 years ago, he and his wife have just become homeless a few months ago, I help them out too but I'm not buying them a house! But when they have no place to go I get them a hotel room and pay for it. And give them other help. I help a lot of people and try to be humble, and kind and respectful. I am sorry that you think I am a liar and that I must have spent a lot to get the dfront end work on my cars in order, I must just be lucky so far. Like I said, I don't lie, I am sorry that you don';t believe me, I know a lot about cars, more than just about anyone I know, but I don't know everything. I do apologize for the things I've said to you, it would have been better to just shut off the computer and forget about it, but I really don't take insults well. I'm a Baron and hold a certificate of nobility, and those people are very rarely insulted, I was just so surprised, to say the least. There I go rambling again, and you probably couldn't care less about anything I have to say. But, whatever. Anyhow that is my apology, Please know there is no need to reply, no need to do anything, as I said I have asked MBworld to delete/cancel/de-commission or cancel my membership as I am done using MBworld and don't plan to come back. Best of luck to you in all you do.
tonylinc in the USA
Old 09-13-2021, 01:11 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
I thought you were going to quit the forum? And you deleted all those wacko posts. And now you start again !!!! Here Tony let everyone read your apology to me
The Real One as you call it
I really don't take insults well. I'm a Baron and hold a certificate of nobility, and those people are very rarely insulted, I was just so surprised, to say the least.
tonylinc in the USA
I had no idea of your status so I must apologize for my inconsiderate behavior questioning a Baron for believing a car with 135,000 miles doesn't need any front end work.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
[QUOTE=tonylinc;8415911]Clue" white lithium grease, or $1400 at a dirty unscrupulous MBZ dealership. Last time I took my car to a genuine Mercedes dealership for servicing they stole the nice fresh new floor mats out of my car. I spent eight bucks on the lithium grease, to stop the squeaking, if it works, what's the problem[/QUOTE

THIS IS ABSURD !?? What are you talking about fixing your creaking car for $8 !!?

Should have only cost $4 for that tin of lithium spray dude ! ha

I used a syringe with tiny about of oil, did this 6 months ago still nice and quite ! My car has 170K miles I have replaced the track rod ends both inner and outer, there is one bottom ball joint under the suspension that could do with changing, but as the tyres are wearing okay and movement is minimal, I will leave it alone for now.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 SL550
didn't realize this would lead to so much provocation. they tried squirting in some lube the first time around. got both front control arms and a ball joint replaced for $1600. with an alignment. I'm satisfied if it doesn't squeak for another 100k miles.