SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Coil Over Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 05:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
Coil Over Sway Bars

I have had my 2004 Sl500 for a year and it came with Strutmaster Coil Overs. I have driven the car pretty hard and experienced minor body roll. Nevertheless CARID had a great deal on the Front Sway Bar made by Rebuild Master Tech and finally had it installed yesterday. The result is a much flatter ride around turns and I like it a lot. As for safety I never felt in danger without the bar. Now I debate the rear bar as I can't see how it will make the ride better or safer. RMK is a serious thick bar with very nice hardware and links. One question I have is when the car is on the lift with the Strutmasters the wheels hang down very far and the sway bar ends up on the oil pan. I do not have the new type oil pan. I am wondering if this hanging down distance is typical of all coilovers or just Strutmaster's So one fear is if I hit a bump that raises the car up high will that result in the bar hitting the pan. Maybe there are limiter straps or adjustments to keep the wheels from all that travel. Any thoughts Thank all of you for a Great Forum.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:02 PM

SL500
I spoke to an the Lead Engineer at RMT about the situation. First he told me that the original motor mounts are a bit longer which would leave a little clearance. I told him I had just replaced them with lemforda OEM but he said only the Mercedes Motor Mount has that length. Then he also added that in time that length would dissipate and become like all the others. He went on to say that the bar is not in anyway pushing up on the oil pan. But he was emphatic about using new motor mounts when installing the sway bars. I asked him if Strutmasters hang down lower than others. He mentioned not all struts do but was not specific to which brands,
So my Indy can rest about the bar as well as myself. It makes a nice difference and feels more confident. I am glad I installed it.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL500 R230
Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
I spoke to an the Lead Engineer at RMT about the situation. First he told me that the original motor mounts are a bit longer which would leave a little clearance. I told him I had just replaced them with lemforda OEM but he said only the Mercedes Motor Mount has that length. Then he also added that in time that length would dissipate and become like all the others. He went on to say that the bar is not in anyway pushing up on the oil pan. But he was emphatic about using new motor mounts when installing the sway bars. I asked him if Strutmasters hang down lower than others. He mentioned not all struts do but was not specific to which brands,
So my Indy can rest about the bar as well as myself. It makes a nice difference and feels more confident. I am glad I installed it.
I live in the UK. I used the front and rear bars from the SL 350 model on the conversion on my SL500 . With the suspension hanging on a lift there is no contact to the sump (without changing engine mounts). I'm very happy with the conversion, I wasn't prepared to do do it without the anti roll bars.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:15 PM

SL500
I can understand you having more clearance with your front bar. From reading here it seems the 350 oem bar is thinner than the RMT bar which is really hefty. But it was interesting to hear that the original mercedes motor mounts are a tad longer when first installed.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
The polyurethane engine mounts give you even more clearance. At least I know the east coast euro mounts do, not sure on others
Old 09-15-2021, 10:44 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
The polyurethane engine mounts give you even more clearance. At least I know the east coast euro mounts do, not sure on others
Thank you for that! Well have a question and gets even more to think about. Now my next journey having already met a Barron here, I want to talk about the rear sway bar.