SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Trunk Stuck in Service Mode, My Fault. How to Fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLE 450 4MATIC | 2003 SL55 AMG
Trunk Stuck in Service Mode, My Fault. How to Fix?

I needed to replace a part inside the trunk of my 2003 SL55. I put the trunk in service mode to make it easier to disassemble the trunk interior. I followed the instructions... Open trunk lid from the inside roof controller until trunk lid is at top position, just before the roof starts to open. Stop operation. Then use the manual key in the trunk key slot, open trunk lid with handle and pull back until everything props up, out and open. So far, so good. I did my business with the replacement part and put everything in the trunk back together.

However, when I went to close the trunk, instead of working backward and rotating down first, to lock the latch, instead, I forgot and tried to close the trunk the regular way by pushing up and rotating the back hinges by the roof back into position. When I went to push down on the latch end, I realized I did it backward and now it won't close. If I try to manually rotate everything back up and out, I think the hydraulics are keeping the trunk from moving and I feel a strong resistance. I went inside and tried to use the roof controller, but I get a message on the dash that the trunk isn't closed, so it won't work. I don't want to manually force anything, so now I am stuck.

I searched the posts, but I haven't found anyone dumb enough to do what I did. Most of the posts talk about manually closing the roof, but not the problem I managed with the trunk. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Last edited by MBGuz305; 08-09-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:21 AM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts
2005 SL600
Sounds like you need to open the valve on the hydraulic pump, which will allow the hydraulic cylinders to move.

It's a couple of steps in on this video -
Old 08-10-2022, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 236 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
You should be able to latch the trunk regardless of the position of the tubular frame, then close the roof with the switch.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
280SL
I had the same thing happen when installing a backup camera on my 09. I found a similar video that shows 2 people are needed to retract the lid. At 1st, I thought I could do it alone and the trunk remained about 2" above fully closed. I then asked my son to help lower it and problem solved.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by brucewane
Sounds like you need to open the valve on the hydraulic pump, which will allow the hydraulic cylinders to move.

It's a couple of steps in on this video -
https://youtu.be/bEqiyWg_Ats
Thanks for sharing the video. I released the pressure on the pump as per the video (I heard it release), but the tubular support still won't move. I am afraid to force the issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by doitwright
I had the same thing happen when installing a backup camera on my 09. I found a similar video that shows 2 people are needed to retract the lid. At 1st, I thought I could do it alone and the trunk remained about 2" above fully closed. I then asked my son to help lower it and problem solved.
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
You should be able to latch the trunk regardless of the position of the tubular frame, then close the roof with the switch.
Thanks for the replies....

So, I pushed down on the latch end a little more forcefully, and I was able to get the latch to engage. Even though I feel like the trunk lid is flexing unnaturally. The side of the lid, closer to the roof, is still elevated about 3 inches.

Then I tried opening/closing with the interior switch, but it still won't move, because it says the trunk lid is open (even though the latch is engaged). Is there any way to trick system into thinking the lid is closed?

At least I was able to use the manual key to open the latch again and release the pressure on the lid flex.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 212 Posts
95 SL600
All of the times I have put the trunk in service mode, I have never touched the top switch at all. Sounds like the top is partially up and doesn’t know where to go. Not sure where you got the idea that the top needs to be operated in order to place the trunk in this position, but that sounds like the problem.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 236 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Originally Posted by MBGuz305
Thanks for the replies....

So, I pushed down on the latch end a little more forcefully, and I was able to get the latch to engage. Even though I feel like the trunk lid is flexing unnaturally. The side of the lid, closer to the roof, is still elevated about 3 inches.

Then I tried opening/closing with the interior switch, but it still won't move, because it says the trunk lid is open (even though the latch is engaged). Is there any way to trick system into thinking the lid is closed?

At least I was able to use the manual key to open the latch again and release the pressure on the lid flex.
It sounds like you make have gotten the hinges closed a bit uneven. Everything is pretty rickety in service mode and you really need two people to manually close safely. It sounds like the trunk is binding and not latching on the second catch. Since you have it 95% closed, you should be very close to pulling it closed with the frame locks. Release pump pressure and use an allen wrench in the access hole by the hinges. You might have to push down slightly to make sure that each latch catches.

If you didn't release pressure before you tried to close it, check the frame lift cylinder by the left taillight. You might have damaged the cylinder or its mounting bracket.

I always go into service mode the way you described, finish my work, and then relatch the trunk and 'close' the roof. I never have a problem with it and I think it is safer than putting back pressure on the hydraulics. You have so much leverage with the trunk lid it is easy to damage things.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:14 PM

Problem solved! After talking to a local shop for suggestions, I used the supplied Allen Key and turned the bolt FORWARD on the framing locking bolts. This was actually in the video at at 4:35 and what MikeJ65 suggested. Turning the bolt doesn't loosen or tighten the bolt, it actually slides the whole mechanism forward and engages the "hooks" on the trunk lid brackets. Being desperate, I got a little brave and put some force into it, everything slid forward and engaged correctly. Repeat on the other side. Close the pump release valve.

Tested by open/closing the trunk, then the roof... everything works. I managed not to break anything!

Thanks for all who replied. Love this forum!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
I am glad you got this fixed, but still at a loss for why the convertible assist is needed to put the trunk into service mode.
I have done this procedure at least 10 times with cars that have the top inoperable and it’s not been a problem, at least in the fixed “up” position. I’ve always popped the trunk, Allen key to release the two latches, and let the “inspector gadget” arms back to do their gadget thing.
It’s always a reverse order to get the trunk back without any top assist, because in the case of the cars I’m working on it doesn’t work at that particular time.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:42 AM

Looks like it is not a requirement... you can do it the way you described. In fact if your pump system is bad, you must do it your way. The video shows it your way for this reason.

Being a newbie, I searched the forums and YouTube the first time I needed to put the trunk in service mode. I can't find it now, but I found a video of someone doing it the way I described, with the power assist of the top. I guess the only advantage of using the power assist to start the process is that you do not need the allen key to release the two latches. The opening of the top releases the latches for you. Stop the process just before the roof starts to open and then use the key to pop the latch and "inspector gadget" the lid out. (I guess that's as good a term as any to describe the process, when I showed some friends how the trunk opens out for servicing, they were amazed).

If I would have just reversed the process, close the lid down first, and then used the power assist to retract the lid, I wouldn't have needed to use the allen key to close the two latches either. So you save that step in the up and down.

My problem is that I did it one way to open the lid to service mode, and then I inadvertently did it your way to close the lid. My newbie skills then panicked and I didn't know what to do.

Since you've done this a dozen times, do you need to release the pressure when you do it your way, or is that not necessary? I only wanted to retract the lid, I didn't need to mess with the roof.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
The Allen key bypasses all of the hydraulic stuff. I use the top as little as possible