SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Command fiber optic connector question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL500
Command fiber optic connector question

Hello everyone! I just bought my 1st Benz a few weeks ago and I am quickly getting hooked on it! I have a 2006 SL500. It has the old Command unit still in it. So long story short, I ordered a Siacane head unit and D2B converter. Yeah...hindsight is 20/20! The 1st D2B decoder they sent me was for an older model. (See the blue box in the pic) So a few weeks later, they sent me the correct unit. (The black box) However, the correct unit does not have any flashing lights and does not appear to be working. I can see small lights working inside of the unit, but the F.O. line is not blinking. Therefore, I have a working stereo, but no audio. For the heck of it, I swapped in the older unit they mistakenly sent me that is designed for the older F.O. connector. They just happen to have the same electrical plug and pin configuration. Viola! I had blinking lights! My question is....can I purchase one of the older connector housings and swap the fiber optic lines from the new connector to the older style connector? See the picture... I hope this all makes sense! If I can, does anyone have a link or a part code to help point me in the right direction? I just don't want to have to try and contact their customer service, wait for a bad answer, and possibly pay way more money than I should!
Old 01-03-2023, 05:51 PM

2006 SL500
UPDATE: So I talked to a tech today at the local MB dealership. He did in fact confirm that the D2B system and the MOST system are not compatible. That being said, if I plug in the MOST unit but not the fiber optic lines. Should I see one side of the converter light up like I did with the D2B unit?
Old 01-04-2023, 06:38 PM

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts
SL500
Yes, I would expect to see one of the fibre lines light up.

Are you sure wiring for power plug is correct? It might not be the same as the D2B converter.

Some of he cheaper Chinese MOST converters are a little reliable. I would recommend Connects2 converter from experience.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:05 PM

2006 SL500
Thanks for the reply! Yes. The plugs and wires are identical. I verified that all of the wires matched and were in the same ports. The only difference was the addition of a blue trigger wire to the older style D2B plug. I ended up having to use this plug with the additional wire because one of the wires on the harness for the MOST converter fell out of the metal wire holder inside of the plug thus rendering it useless. I figure that an additional trigger wire isn't going to cause much effect. I am conversing with Seicane now to try and get them to send me a new unit. Now to figure out how to get the unit mounted in the dash! Their directions are vague at best!