SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: blue smoke??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
blue smoke??

I recently purchased a 2009 SL550 with 35k miles and been driving it for over a month . I now have 36k and in the last two days when I start it for the first time out comes a noticeable amount of blue smoke. I have had this happen on past cars and not a good sign, but my hope is maybe something different and simple with the SL550, I’m thinking valve stem seals, or a bad piston ring is there anything anyone knows about this year and model and were I can start? I have rebuilt engines and cars, and this is a newer car too me I like old cars.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:54 PM

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by pleasebesimple
I recently purchased a 2009 SL550 with 35k miles and been driving it for over a month . I now have 36k and in the last two days when I start it for the first time out comes a noticeable amount of blue smoke. I have had this happen on past cars and not a good sign, but my hope is maybe something different and simple with the SL550, I’m thinking valve stem seals, or a bad piston ring is there anything anyone knows about this year and model and were I can start? I have rebuilt engines and cars, and this is a newer car too me I like old cars.
you probably have an oil leak and the engine is burning oil. if you see blue smoke when pressing on the accelrator its may be a bad piston ring. Stem seals can also be the culprit.

Last edited by imtheking; 01-20-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
if only in AM on first crank something is leaking oil into combustion chambers.

So valve stem seals possibly but they tend to smoke even when warm engine sometimes.
Have to remove valve cover and inspect - check if hard and brittle or any broken.
I do remember back when 450 SL engine we would replace valve stem seals due to getting hard.
Boss would notice when we did a valve lash adjustment.
With proper tools not too hard.
Need plugs out and fitting to pump compressed air in cylinder to hold valves up in head.
Then remove valve springs with proper spring removal tool for engine.
Then pick or something to pull up and out old stem seals and install new.
then back together and proper valve lash.

Could be a PCV issue where too much blow back of crankcase oil vapors back into intake and it collects and then slowly drains down into valve area.
Can confirm by removing all the intake stuff and examining inside looking for motor oil near pcv hose - there can be some but lots is bad.

maybe but I doubt it could be crappy oil ring that needs to get warmed up and expand to seal and wipe cylinder walls properly - doubt this one as you would probably smoke all the time when pistons/rings go bad.
Can confirm with compression check.

This car was not driven much what 13-14 years in service and only 36k = under 3K per year.
I would lean towards stem seals got hard from sitting there without getting much oil over the time she sat off.

If it is only on cold startup and not too bad where you look like you are killing bugs in the area... I would live with it.
check plugs for fouling and excessive oil if they look good just drive.
Maybe try high mileage oil to see if they can help stem seals - maybe one of them oil miracles in a can .

Or bite the bullet and have it inspected
good luck
Old 01-24-2023, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by ygmn
if only in AM on first crank something is leaking oil into combustion chambers.

So valve stem seals possibly but they tend to smoke even when warm engine sometimes.
Have to remove valve cover and inspect - check if hard and brittle or any broken.
I do remember back when 450 SL engine we would replace valve stem seals due to getting hard.
Boss would notice when we did a valve lash adjustment.
With proper tools not too hard.
Need plugs out and fitting to pump compressed air in cylinder to hold valves up in head.
Then remove valve springs with proper spring removal tool for engine.
Then pick or something to pull up and out old stem seals and install new.
then back together and proper valve lash.

Could be a PCV issue where too much blow back of crankcase oil vapors back into intake and it collects and then slowly drains down into valve area.
Can confirm by removing all the intake stuff and examining inside looking for motor oil near pcv hose - there can be some but lots is bad.

maybe but I doubt it could be crappy oil ring that needs to get warmed up and expand to seal and wipe cylinder walls properly - doubt this one as you would probably smoke all the time when pistons/rings go bad.
Can confirm with compression check.

This car was not driven much what 13-14 years in service and only 36k = under 3K per year.
I would lean towards stem seals got hard from sitting there without getting much oil over the time she sat off.

If it is only on cold startup and not too bad where you look like you are killing bugs in the area... I would live with it.
check plugs for fouling and excessive oil if they look good just drive.
Maybe try high mileage oil to see if they can help stem seals - maybe one of them oil miracles in a can .

Or bite the bullet and have it inspected
good luck
thanks for the imput and it did it for 3 days in a row and today it did not but i will check airfilters etc out this weekend..