SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SLR - Do I want it - Can it be driven everyday?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
SLR - Do I want it - Can it be driven everyday?

I have been driving myself crazy every since I saw the SLR. It was incredible. I am not a sports car collector and if I bought this car, I'd want to drive it all the time. I am told this is crazy.

I need help with other opinions. Is it crazy to buy a SLR as a regular car? Why or why not?

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 10-24-2004 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL 500
This is the way that I look at it:

The car is for your enjoyment, right? Why not drive it every day except in situations where the car might loose control (heavy rain and any snow). I'll tell you, if I had the dough for an SLR and got one, it would be driven every day that the weather allowed me to. I am not sure but I imagine that you can get a warrentee similar to the ones that we have on our cars in case there are problems. If there are problems, bring the car in to get it fixed.

Are you getting a price that is close to MSRP for the car. Around here (NJ) two just sold for one-million plus each. Sounds like you have a great deal in front of you.

I would like to hear why people say that you shouldn't drive the car every day. Other than the fact that it is probably the nicest car on the road and that it might make a lot of people jealous.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a chance to get one at $175,000 over. The people that say you can't drive it everyday say the idea of driving the car and leaving it for a second is not possible. If you are going down the street to the drug store, you can't do that because then you have to leave the car alone and someone will do something to it...including touching it. The point is suppose to be that you just don't use these cars as regular everyday cars because if you have any problems with the body, etc., the car needs to go back to England because there are no authorized shops in the US that can work on the exterior body finish. They also say the ride is so hard, that it actually is not that enjoyable if you are just cruising around. Stuff like that. Seems like a nightmare, but when I saw this car, it just blew me away. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 10-24-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:26 AM

2005 SL 500
Well, to look at it in a brighter way: this is certainly a good problem to have . Sure beats being sick or not knowing where your next meal is going to come from.

I'm sure that you will make the choice. Only you can make it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
I have a chance to get one at $175,000 over. The people that say you can't drive it everyday say the idea of driving the car and leaving it for a second is not possible. If you are going down the street to the drug store, you can't do that because then you have to leave the car alone and someone will do something to it...including touching it. The point is suppose to be that you just don't use these cars as regular everyday cars because if you have any problems with the body, etc., the car needs to go back to England because there are no authorized shops in the US that can work on the exterior body finish. They also say the ride is so hard, that it actually is not that enjoyable if you are just cruising around. Stuff like that. Seems like a nightmare, but when I saw this car, it just blew me away. Thanks for your input.
The SLR is like the Maybach in many ways ... it really isnt the sort of car you can park in a public parking station. I dont think it would last a week before it would be deeply scratched.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
LovinSL600,

Send me a PM, if you really want one, I may be able to get you one for a bit less. Black or Silver?

Schiznick
Old 10-24-2004, 06:49 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Hey LovinSL600:

You appear to be a true car enthusiast that loves to drive and has the passion to drive the best that you can afford!

I'm certain that the liability of driving the SLR everyday would be much greater than a much less expensive AMG or Merc (attention, possible actions due to jealousy, etc.). Even though it is very expensive, I'm sure you have another vehicle(s) to handle the truly mundane trips to public areas you don't want to draw to much attention (good or bad). The SLR sounds like your realistic dreamcar and if it's not a financial stretch, go for it! I'd love the experience of seeing your SLR in person!

Remember, you are truly enjoying it by driving it. Obviously, it doesn't have to be a true daily driver but the one you want to drive when the situation permits in terms of weather and destination. Since the SLR is still on your mind after a few days, it really has made a 180 degree impact on you. The Ferrari F430 is the one that has hit me hard and even though I've never owned a Ferrari, when the opportunity arises in the near future, I will buy one!

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 10-24-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Go for it. When I have to drive to down town, I drive my SLK 320.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

At the end of the day you wont be able to drive it 100m without someone trying to race you.

Besides ...... some of the worlds most famous sports cars got to be that way because they were driven hard and got a famous name. This whole idea of keeping it in the garage when it rains is some loser 1980's idea.

When it rains I go for the Benz because I know it is the safest car I own and it gives me the best handling in the wet. I just dont get it otherwise ..... unless you call an E55 a beater !
Old 10-24-2004, 07:50 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Inclement weather would include rain, snow or otherwise. In L.A. you really don't want to be out with a very nice car with all of the accident-prone drivers during even the slightest rain if you don't have to. It's incredible how many accidents and fender benders there are here, let alone the greater congestion (bad enough) when it rains.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RU_MATRX
Inclement weather would include rain, snow or otherwise. In L.A. you really don't want to be out with a very nice car with all of the accident-prone drivers during even the slightest rain if you don't have to. It's incredible how many accidents and fender benders there are here, let alone the greater congestion (bad enough) when it rains.
The SLR is carbon fibre and the panels dont bend, they flex and snap back. I saw a photo of a mini after it hit an SLR. The Mini was wasted and the SLR was scratched but no panel distortion.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:14 PM

If you are in that price range. I would rahter get a Porsche Carrera GT or an Enzo. They are both faster cars.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Almost a Member!

The key to enjoying an expensive automobile is the owners mental attitude toward it and financial ability to own it. If you wind up afraid to drive it because it may become damaged, worry about the BIG investment you just made and what else you could be doing with the money, then you should not buy any expensive car. IF it will just add more stress to your life leave it alone. If you are truly able to write the check, drive it home, use it when YOU want to and NOT worry about what you just did (buy it) then your ownership will be a happy one. I cannot tell you how many guys I know who have made these kind of purchases (borrowed money) and then worry so much about dings, dents, the "cost of money", depreciation, they wind up having a poor experiance with the car and usually will try to sell it with a BIG loss being their main memory of their ownership.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:06 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Your perspective and insight is absolutely true. I sold a pristine 2002 Porsche 996TT, 6sp ~520HP which I loved, but I wanted a different experience in the SL55 AMG which would allow me to drive it even more. I took a big hit on trading it in Dec 2003 (purchased only ~1 yr earlier and Porsches don't hold their value very well) though what I remember MOST is how much fun the handling and acceleration was on the 996TT w/AWD. In fact, if it was all financial I should have kept it and not have traded it. I would love another performance-focused sportscar again in the future.

Even if I could pay for the SLR in cash, I would be too greatly worried about really driving it in Los Angeles on my own whim just as my other vehicles without being overly worried about protecting it (unless I'm a true multi-millionaire). Even in the twisties of the Santa Monica mountains would give me extra care (I've totalled an R1 and was lucky to be alive -1 yr rehab -perfectly fine now- just because of some other rider's stupidity). Noone wants damaged, disability-prone, time-consuming events....

Obviously, you have to take better care and be aware of what this type of vehicle may attract in attention (bad/good) as well as where you park it, who you talk shop with, travel to (no Inglewood, East L.A.trips/stops at night), etc.. Activate streetsmarts! I wouldn't even want my wife to drive it too far just because of safety concerns and the wrong-type of attention/jealous-harassing. She's not into performance vehicles, but I would like her to share the experience of the drive.

Appreciation also entails keeping it detailed, but not preventing you from driving the vehicle to it's full potential. I'd love to own an SLR, take great care of it, take it to the track (BIG) @ Willow Springs without any worries about COST, modify/personalize it without any concern to an already depreciating asset, yet drive it safely around the city when I decide I want to. Now that would be true exhiliarating freedom! I'm not there yet as I am with say, my Infiniti FX45

Afterall, who wants to work hard to acquire something for the fullest enjoyment that essentially becomes his/her biggest headache financially, logistically and completely limits the owner from truly enjoying it? Sounds counter-intuitive.....

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 10-30-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:36 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
However, I saw one in person this weekend...My dealership here in Atlanta got on in - it's black and charcoal....and it's stunning in person...undefined
Old 11-04-2004, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gunther
However, I saw one in person this weekend...My dealership here in Atlanta got on in - it's black and charcoal....and it's stunning in person...undefined
Black is gorgeous...but in my opinion does not come close to the silver and red. What is everyone's opinion?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Black is the only color for me....every last car I have ever owned has been black.

While other colors can be nice...nothing beats a clean black car...
Old 11-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Black is gorgeous...but in my opinion does not come close to the silver and red. What is everyone's opinion?
There is a new SLR for sale on EBay. The car in located in Pompano Beach Florida at a dealership called Autohaus. The "Buy it now" price is $575 I believe. Silver with Red Int. 135 miles
Old 11-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by speed
There is a new SLR for sale on EBay. The car in located in Pompano Beach Florida at a dealership called Autohaus. The "Buy it now" price is $575 I believe. Silver with Red Int. 135 miles
Buy it Now price is.....$675000!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 02:32 AM

300E
In my opinion,
It is not a daily driving car. Not even my Gallardo can be driven everyday. Anywhere I go with mine is only a place where Valet is available, and I have to park myself. The best daily driving car is the one you are driving now. The 600s are not too flashy, but the power is enough. I hope this help. Goodluck.