SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Help s69/1 code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 08:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 sl55$$$$$$
Angry Help s69/1 code

Hello everyone, so I went to close my top and it went through all the steps and on last one seemed like everything was fine but the trunk would not close the last ¼ inch. So I tried to reopen and close again but nothing all I heard was pump running, so I popped the trunk to check pump fluid it was a little low so I added more fluid, went back to repeat process again still just heard pump running, Then I got out my AUTEL scanner it told me of course the temp was high but it also gave a S69/1 one code, figuring what it was I proceeded to correct it. I propped open the top manually and checked the micro switch it was fine so I went to put the back down and I couldn’t get the top to latch, I tried to use the button to cycle through it and nothing no sound at all so everything in place and no it won’t latch manually and no fuse is blown any ideas on what I’m missing??? Bo……
Old 05-29-2023, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
First of all, the trunk will not start to close until the S69/1 switch is recognized, so I don't think that is your problem. When you do get codes like that, always check the actual value on the scanner and see if it is consistent with the switch position. If the roof is against the header, S69/1 should be recognized. You only need to physically check it if the value is inconsistent with position. A correct actual value means the switch, wiring, and relevant modules are working properly.

Usually, the failure to close the frame locks (and pull down the front of the trunk) is caused by low fluid, but it can be internal bypass in one of the four cylinders on that circuit - front latch, frame locks, trunk lift.

You should always be able to manually lock the frame locks as well as the front lock as long as the pump bypass is open.

I would do the following: open the trunk and open the pump bypass, lock the two frame locks manually, pull the roof back a few inches and make sure that the front latch is open, push the roof back to the header and manually latch it. Make sure that the pump has enough fluid, close the bypass and try to open the roof. Fluid doesn't evaporate, so if adding some 'solves' the problem, you need to look for the leak.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:15 AM

2006 sl55$$$$$$
Thanks I received the same code on a different scanner icarsoft MB still received the same code , my big concern now is that I can put the top up down manually but can not get it to latch to the header. If I have a leak it’s a minor one , I would like to why my pump just quit the motor seems like easy and inexpensive fix the. I mean it was running before I checked the switch put the header back together then nothing.everything done manually. I checked all 5 hydraulics trunk ares dry I replaced the front middle roof lock a couple years ago it’s still dry, I have no fluids puddle in my trunk no wet spots . I live in a pretty rural area so no local INDIES and the stealers are to far away.. just baffled on how the system could shut down with no obvious warning
Old 05-30-2023, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Did you manually lock the frame lock in the trunk? Prop or hold the roof back and see if you can turn the manual lock. If so, make sure you are unlocked, close the roof, lock (all of this with the pump bypass opened). If you can't move the latch, start there.

With the roof closed against the windshield header, check the status of the S69/1 switch with your scanner, not codes, the actual value of the switch. It should be Recognized. Pull the roof back a few inches, recheck the S69/1 status, it should be Not Recognized.

While you should always read the fault codes, don't expect a lot of help from them in diagnosing roof problems. Many issues that arise will either not throw a code, or will throw a code that may be a symptom rather than the root cause.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:12 AM

2006 sl55$$$$$$
Can I rebuild the hydraulic pump myself and or can the modular that works the top could have went bad and can it be reset like the r129s???
Old 06-02-2023, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are about 100 things that fall more often than the pump and module. You need to diagnose, not start replacing parts.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:58 PM

2006 sl55$$$$$$
So if the switch is bad will the pump keep running?? That’s the only thing I can think of that might be the problem