SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL owners - lack of individuality

Old 11-16-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
SL owners - lack of individuality

I've been searching the web for weeks looking for photos of SL in colors other than black/silver/white but could not find any.

Most, if not 95% of all cars i've seen have black leather interior. Black leather is completely outdated for small luxury convertibles, looks terrible with top down and makes the interior look much smaller than it actually is.

Why do people, who can afford $130K stick with this combo ? Add an extra 5k and build your own uniq car with designo, otherwise get a S class.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's mine:

http://www.stanc.net/sl500/

Pewter metallic exterior, stone leather, chestnut trim.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
I have ordered an Aegean Blue SL600 but I am sorry to tell you that the interior color is all black.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FunFreak
Here's mine:

Nice color combo.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:03 PM

Here's mine:

I agree, nice interior color.

SL deserves a better exterior color thou, out of 10 cars you see on streets, 6 are silver. Be unique, with SL, you cant make a mistake with exterior color, no matter which one you choose (as long as its not black/silver).
Old 11-16-2004, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by Miki-SL500

Why do people, who can afford $130K stick with this combo ? Add an extra 5k and build your own uniq car with designo, otherwise get a S class.
actually, my father has a designo. the designo espresso and graphite editions are $7,725.00 plus you have to add $1,590.00 for the comfort package making the add for your own unique car $9,315.00, not including any of the other options you might want. if you pick the designo silver for $7,725.00 then you dont have to get the comfort package. both are over 5k but you should know this if you are shopping for an SL.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
I've been searching the web for weeks looking for photos of SL in colors other than black/silver/white but could not find any.

Most, if not 95% of all cars i've seen have black leather interior. Black leather is completely outdated for small luxury convertibles, looks terrible with top down and makes the interior look much smaller than it actually is.

Miki this is a bad stereotype on a highly bias quote if I've ever seen one. "Black" is not truly dogged black throughout the interiors on SLs, plus wood options, etc.. Plus there are several variations of exterior black/silver. I won't rehash the popularity of the timeless and classic Silver here nor the artistic expression with silver, go find all of the threads on the SL55/SL65 forum for some insight if you are that involved with the purpose/reason why many choose these colors. Case in point, take a look at a few of my "silver" vehicles in my sig.. I can easily say that each of these silvers are completely different from one another and the profile of each vehicle stands on it's own. Each is distinguishable from the same model/color on the streets as well (subtlety).

Your "lacking individuality" statement is pretty naive in the context of your post as Silver/Black is highly popular for auto enthusiasts for several reasons (again, go look it up). Whether it's a Porsche, MB-AMG, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or the typical vehicle on the road today, etc., you'll see silver and black as the most popular choices, and these vehicles do present individuality by the modifications and the character of the owners. Besides, regardless of color, we all personalize are vehicles in different ways. Also, many MB owners of the $130K+ crowd aren't the "look..look at me every time I drive my MB" attention drawing-type.

I'm certain there are pimp-my-ride type MBs out here in L.A. which show much "individuality" though not necessarily "class" or "well-thought out" or "nicely-executed" modifications. To each his/her own right?

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-16-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
What are you talking about. Wife and I drove and flew all over the US looking at colors for her SL500. She finally pick pewter with the charcoal interior. We pick our colors on what we like and not what you like.

Click on this link to see my car.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/th...osts=18&fid=37

Last edited by tiggerfink; 11-16-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
Here's mine:

Yeah. That was a real nice color!

As far as silver goes i guess quite a few chose them since it is the official racing color for Mercedes. Silver arrow You know.. Just like red is the "right" color for a Ferrari.
Not to mention that silver is very easy to maintain.

My main choise would be black. You cant go wrong with black. Almost any car looks great in that color. I guess thats why these two colors are so common.

But I ended up with: Green black (Smaragdschwartz) and graphite mainly becouse i bought it used. (Not that many to chose from) But the color start to grow on me. It shift from blue - green - purple - graphite grey to black depending of the light.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:14 AM

2005 SL 500
Wow! Sweet car Nicke. Really like the rims.

I know what you mean by individuality, but I (and many others apparently) like silver the best. I am not going to "punch myself in face" and get some other color just because many others have the color that I want. I do not know about most of you, but I cannot buy these things like they are dress shirts. I can only buy one; and that one is going to be my favorite color. I have nothing against the other colors. Of all the SLs that I have seen, I cannot say that any of them have been bad. Silver is just my favorite. If individuality weighs more for you than your favorite color (if its silver); get another color. To each his or her own.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
hey Miki (pun intended) --

Some of us just like black cars. Every car, regardless of make, that I have owned has been black. I don't consider it a lack of imagination but a preference. I can respect anyone who wants a pink SL (and God help whoever did that to the car but there were pics of one on the board)...but for me I like the car for what it is....and part of that is how sleek and stunning I think it looks in black.

Besides...isn't it my 100K+ that bought the car? Why do I have to spend my money to impress someone else?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
actually, my father has a designo. the designo espresso and graphite editions are $7,725.00 plus you have to add $1,590.00 for the comfort package making the add for your own unique car $9,315.00, not including any of the other options you might want. if you pick the designo silver for $7,725.00 then you dont have to get the comfort package. both are over 5k but you should know this if you are shopping for an SL.
You're right, full designo package does cost around 10k (i paid mine 7K EUR), but all you need is 5k to give it a unique look, (1.5k exterior paint + 4k designo leather).
Old 11-17-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by RU_MATRX
Miki this is a bad stereotype on a highly bias quote if I've ever seen one. "Black" is not truly dogged black throughout the interiors on SLs, plus wood options, etc.. Plus there are several variations of exterior black/silver. I won't rehash the popularity of the timeless and classic Silver here nor the artistic expression with silver, go find all of the threads on the SL55/SL65 forum for some insight if you are that involved with the purpose/reason why many choose these colors. Case in point, take a look at a few of my "silver" vehicles in my sig.. I can easily say that each of these silvers are completely different from one another and the profile of each vehicle stands on it's own. Each is distinguishable from the same model/color on the streets as well (subtlety).

Your "lacking individuality" statement is pretty naive in the context of your post as Silver/Black is highly popular for auto enthusiasts for several reasons (again, go look it up). Whether it's a Porsche, MB-AMG, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or the typical vehicle on the road today, etc., you'll see silver and black as the most popular choices, and these vehicles do present individuality by the modifications and the character of the owners. Besides, regardless of color, we all personalize are vehicles in different ways. Also, many MB owners of the $130K+ crowd aren't the "look..look at me every time I drive my MB" attention drawing-type.

I'm certain there are pimp-my-ride type MBs out here in L.A. which show much "individuality" though not necessarily "class" or "well-thought out" or "nicely-executed" modifications. To each his/her own right?

I'm not saying silver/black are bad colors overall, i'm just saying they do not fit an SL ! You say some SL owners are not attention drawing-type, why did they buy an SL then ?! SL is a car to show off with, admit it ...

I think reasons people stick with silver/black are

1. Afraid to experiment with colors (worry about what other ppl will think of their color combo)
2. Black/silver cars are easier to sell then blue/green/yellow for example
Old 11-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
An all black combo looks hella better clean then any other combo out there, no matter what car.

Of course this is a fact; okay okay, my humble opinion.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
What are you talking about. Wife and I drove and flew all over the US looking at colors for her SL500. She finally pick pewter with the charcoal interior. We pick our colors on what we like and not what you like.

Click on this link to see my car.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/th...osts=18&fid=37
Its a terrible combo for such a nice car ... black leather / pewter .. ordinary wheels... it doesnt draw attention at all (and we can tell you bought it to show off with, why else would you participate in a local car show ? )
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
He still won 1st and 2nd place?

That's a beautiful color combo, draws lots of attention because of it's subtle nature of the car.

Those are the Launch Edition wheels I think, far from ordinary.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:29 AM

I bought my car because I love SL's....and always have. It's my 2nd SL and hopefully not my last. I also bought it for the top...love having the retractable hardtop.

If I wanted a car that others would notice and look at only, I'd have it covered in a mirrored surface.

Clearly Miki, you do only buy a car so others think more of you. I personally don't care. I only drive the car 4 miles a day to work and back. And, one of those trips is at 6:30 in the morning so I know most people don't see me.

I also don't want to buy a car in some trendy, latest-greatest color that is only potentially popular for 1 year because when I do sell it, I don't want to wait 14 years to find that ONE person in the United States who still likes that color. I also don't want to lose my *** on the value of the car because I did choose some completely skewed color.

If you want to paint your SL polka-dot, I hope you do. But I find it offensive that you would put down other people's choices for cars and colors when they are spending their own money. If you're all about letting other determine what's right for you - then send me a big check and I'll send you a car to drive. But until you pay my bills - leave my decisions to me.

BTW, I don't like silver cars either. I think that they are bland and uninteresting. Yet, I would not tell anyone that they are wrong for wanting to have a silver car.

Finally, given that you just joined a month - or less - ago and don't post anything about you or the car you actually drive, I'm getting the feeling that you're another one of these 15 y/o's that ride around in mommy and daddy's new car and think that they own it too. Happy to tell all of us who DO have these cars the best way that we can make them better for you. If your car is that FAB-U-LOUS - then post a few pics of it and let us see just where we are missing the boat.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:34 AM

AND...per your suggestion of yellow or green..I have seen both done to SL's (as well as the pink). They were horrible "experiments" and can only be described as FUGLY.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500

Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
Thumbs up

BklynBenz, hmm.. Awsome cars..
Would I rather have silver or black? Well, i guess so :p
Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
BklynBenz:

Geez BklynBenz are you trying to blind us? or just bringing back some disturbing flashbacks?

Yeah, those are sure personalized and if those owners ever decide to buy another MB or trade these in, they are in for a big surprise.

Also, listen-up guys/gals, there are many different variations of silver, options let alone modifications so it's not like you're stuck with just a color.....

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-17-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:07 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
I'm not saying silver/black are bad colors overall, i'm just saying they do not fit an SL ! You say some SL owners are not attention drawing-type, why did they buy an SL then ?! SL is a car to show off with, admit it ...

I think reasons people stick with silver/black are

1. Afraid to experiment with colors (worry about what other ppl will think of their color combo)
2. Black/silver cars are easier to sell then blue/green/yellow for example
Well Miki, if I was focused on just drawing attention, I'd go with any one of those colors which BklynBenz posted/re-posted. Didn't I also say that there is a human perception called, "class" and "good-taste?"

If I wanted to show off "in performance," I would have saved tons of money keeping my previous 996TT, 6sp in BLACK and modify it even further. If I wanted to "show-off" just based on "looks," then I'd have purchased the latest, trendy vehicle whether it was the Hummer H2 last year or the Chrysler 300C Hemi this year and just go crazy (while saving tons of money over an MB AMG). Painting my SL55 pink with a powder blue leather interior just for kicks and attention (is that individualized enough?) would be just plain stupid for me- negative everlasting affects just like tattooing your high-school girlfriend's name with hearts and stars all over your butt cheek. Pretty tough to intelligently explain this to your wife or kids someday? DISCLAIMER: Neither I nor anyone I know personally has accomplished this. It's just an analogy.........

Funny point #1, logically, anyone who would choose a unique/rare color combo wants to draw more attention to themselves while "standing-out." They would, most likely, care much more of how others think of them and their ride, NOT less. If he/she cared less, that owner wouldn't have gone through the time, expense and attention-getting effort to do a unique color-combo (in good taste or not). Your pretzel-logic is like a kid in high-school trying to figure-out his image, his progressive social standing, where he fits in, where he's going in life, while naively thinking, "Who cares what other people think." Please don't confuse "individuality" with "character integrity." I love personalization, but my color preference is just that.

Point#2: Black/Silver are easier to sell than the colors of the rainbow, "Skittle" SLs *exaggerating for effect*. Absolutely true! Why? Maybe, it's due to the fact that many SL owners like change and may go with another innovative, next-gen MB or other brand/model that's superior to the one they own now sometime in the future? I don't think anyone wants to shoot themselves in the foot to keep an SL forever in the garage since noone is interested in suffering his/her "individuality" years from now. The original owner may possibly feel the same as the buyers at that future time.

Additionally Miki, your concept on points #1 and #2 are really skewed "boot-in-da'-kisser"-type assessments especially compared to your first statement in the same post. So far, you're not doing a very good job of psycho-analyzing SL owners and their choice of colors here.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-18-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Its a terrible combo for such a nice car ... black leather / pewter .. ordinary wheels... it doesnt draw attention at all (and we can tell you bought it to show off with, why else would you participate in a local car show ? )
Hemm, my seats are not black.

I bought it because I did not like the Lexes SC430 and the Cadillac XLR had no trunk. I wanted a hard top convertiable with more room than my SLK 320.

I enter the car show because the local MBCA club ask me to bring my cars. Hell ya, I was showing off Mercedes cars in the car show.

So do you have a pic of your car? If I get some pink fuzzy dice would you be happy.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 11-18-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:09 AM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I enter the car show because the local MBCA club ask me to bring my cars. Hell ya, I was showing off Mercedes cars in the car show.
So do you have a pic of your car? If I get some pink fuzzy dice would you be happy.
Tiggerfink's SL was invited to a car show and supported by a local MBCA club, yet it was the garden-variety (or is it?) Pewter Silver. I like to show off my "common" Pewter Silver SL55 everytime I take it out too though draw attention to my ride without having to compensate with some unique/rare color. Then again, I prefer subtle attention not "look at me now, I'm driving right next to you. Why aren't you checking out my ride? Rare color right?" Besides, what level of ultra-attention do you need Miki since we're all "so boring and lacking individuality?"

You want attention? You don't even need an SL, let alone a special, "paint-to-sample MB." Check these out! No Silver or Black found here. Just havin' fun!
Attached Thumbnails SL owners - lack of individuality-ford_mustang_snowplow-small-.jpg   SL owners - lack of individuality-greencar-small-.jpg   SL owners - lack of individuality-bumblebee-small-.jpg   SL owners - lack of individuality-vanning1-small-.jpg   SL owners - lack of individuality-vanning2-small-.jpg  

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-18-2004 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Personally, I have a hard time when people talk bad about other people.

Each person has their own likes and dislikes and I believe that we should all respect each others choices.

I think we should all respect each others tastes because if someone bought a car that they liked it is just not fair for anyone to try to ruin that experience.

We should be here to support each other and try to answer questions so that we can have better experiences with our cars whether they are green, purple or blue.

Obviously, disagreements with the proper amount of respect is fine but to trash someone over the color of their car is just not something I feel falls into this category.

How would you like to have spent between $80,000 to $150,000 and then be told your car looks like crap?

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 11-18-2004 at 12:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: SL owners - lack of individuality