SL/R230: Disposal Options - 2003 SL 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 232 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Originally Posted by TxBenzIn
That's my attitude with it. I'd love to enjoy this and give it some life - hell the first few owners barely used it - to me that's a greater waste of money than me throwing $20k into it. They lost more than that by not using it.

In any event, I'd also not want to put that much into it simply because, it's $20k - that's a lot of money regardless of how you justify it. But when it comes to the "VALUE" of the car, I place more emphasis on the joy of owning it value versus what KBB says. I do not plan on selling it for someone else to enjoy. IF it can be enjoyed one last time, I'm gonna be the one to do it.
Trust me (the guy you do not know who doesn't have a horse in the race), it won't be $20k. It'll be $3k-$5k + whatever else you decide, when you decide, same as the rest of us.

maw
The following users liked this post:
TxBenzIn (04-26-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
I recently bought a 2004 SL55 AMG. why? not because I thought it would be some collectible that increased in value. bought it because I LOVE driving it. always admired the SLs. I have had many old Porsche but when I reached the age I could no long track them, sold all but one 87 924S project I intend to resurrect as an autocross car. over the years have done almost everything possible on these cars including engine rebuild.

got into flying planes and got a BMW 645 Ci a few years ago, really enjoyed the car. as expected spent a bit on fixing all the issues, and got a fair price. but over time just felt I wanted something more exciting.

so now have an SL55 AMG. I knew what I was getting into. I commented in another thread I suspect the asking price for these cars factor in the anticipated high maintenance cost. not the value/fun of driving the car, but the market (buyers) knows and pushes the price down.

I knew the car needed several minor cosmetic issues and I have already done most of them. I can do quite a bit on my own, but just encountered my first major issue. need all the front lower control arms replaced. recently I hit a 'pot hole' that actually dented the outer lip of the left front wheel and tire went flat. long story short got the wheel fixed and car back on the road. that is when I started to notice the little clunking noise.

I have a good INDI shop I have used for the BMW and my wife's Audi for things I do not want to tackle. they cannot claim the impact is the total cause of the problems, but agree it probably contributed to the premature failure. pretty busy with other 'life' issues so decided to let them fix. if this was December may have just taken the time to fix myself. did that this past winter on some final issues with the BMW before I sold it.

as all the posters say, these will be expensive to maintain over time. but the 'bang for the buck' is undeniable. my neighbor got a new GTC a few years ago. he took me for a ride and it is quite a car, think it was about $150k new. but I am totally satisfied with what I get from my SL55 AMG. incredible, angry, fast, beautiful, luxury interior, etc. personally I cannot afford the car he did, he is a retired neurosergeon.

think the suggestion of finding a good INDI shop that wont rip you off, and fix stuff in stages as needed. and ENJOY THE RIDE.

tonylinc (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2014 S63 2010 ML350 Bluetec 2009 SL550
Very brave taking that to Wally world....hope you like parking lot dings :-)
tonylinc (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 04:54 PM

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
Sometimes if you're lucky you might have an issue that could qualify you for a handicapped parking tag. Those spaces are away from all the other cars and it's much harder for your car to get dings and dents all along its sides. This can be a huge difference over time. A car with 25 dings on each side is just awful to look at. A bad knee or hip can qualify you, also breathing issues, asthma, COPD, etc., or heart problems are good. Even spinal injuries, neck and shoulder... Ask your doctor! Don't tell him you want it because of your car, though...
Old 04-04-2024, 05:42 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
no thanks on the handicap sticker. have one for my wife's sister but will not use if she is not with me.

currently no door dings. will try to keep it that way.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 SL500 (70,000)
Update - I took it to the local MB dealer hoping the the Hydraulic Pump would be covered under warranty - I figured I'd get that done there, then find a shop to take care of the rest. Well, they say the pump is just fine, so it won't get replaced. They did a multipoint inspection and found just a few things, mostly minor IMO at this point - however they DID point out that the ABC needs to be rebuilt.

The provided a quote for a complete rebuild of the ABC. $23k

The did provide a full parts list and I added as many as I could to my cart at fcpeuro and it was $10k of the ones I could find. I couldnt' find a couple of the hoses they mentioned.

I did find a local shop that said over the phone they would do it for $13k so I think I know where I'm headed next.

I'll keep you posted I guess, but I've learned quite a bit in this forum so thanks for all who have contributed. Someone on reddit said I could get a nice e55 for this price - to that I replied, but then I"d have an e55.

Last edited by TxBenzIn; 04-10-2024 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
What ya got is a hole in your wallet called an r230. At $13,000 or anything close to that, is just throwing money away. I would rather burn $13,000 than invest it in the ABC for these cars. Anyway, you will learn the hard way, sometimes that’s what it takes.

Last edited by cdk4219; 04-10-2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2004 SL500AMG, 2003 SL500 USA
Originally Posted by porscheguy
I recently bought a 2004 SL55 AMG. why? not because I thought it would be some collectible that increased in value. bought it because I LOVE driving it. always admired the SLs. I have had many old Porsche but when I reached the age I could no long track them, sold all but one 87 924S project I intend to resurrect as an autocross car. over the years have done almost everything possible on these cars including engine rebuild.

got into flying planes and got a BMW 645 Ci a few years ago, really enjoyed the car. as expected spent a bit on fixing all the issues, and got a fair price. but over time just felt I wanted something more exciting.

so now have an SL55 AMG. I knew what I was getting into. I commented in another thread I suspect the asking price for these cars factor in the anticipated high maintenance cost. not the value/fun of driving the car, but the market (buyers) knows and pushes the price down.

I knew the car needed several minor cosmetic issues and I have already done most of them. I can do quite a bit on my own, but just encountered my first major issue. need all the front lower control arms replaced. recently I hit a 'pot hole' that actually dented the outer lip of the left front wheel and tire went flat. long story short got the wheel fixed and car back on the road. that is when I started to notice the little clunking noise.

I have a good INDI shop I have used for the BMW and my wife's Audi for things I do not want to tackle. they cannot claim the impact is the total cause of the problems, but agree it probably contributed to the premature failure. pretty busy with other 'life' issues so decided to let them fix. if this was December may have just taken the time to fix myself. did that this past winter on some final issues with the BMW before I sold it.

as all the posters say, these will be expensive to maintain over time. but the 'bang for the buck' is undeniable. my neighbor got a new GTC a few years ago. he took me for a ride and it is quite a car, think it was about $150k new. but I am totally satisfied with what I get from my SL55 AMG. incredible, angry, fast, beautiful, luxury interior, etc. personally I cannot afford the car he did, he is a retired neurosergeon.

think the suggestion of finding a good INDI shop that wont rip you off, and fix stuff in stages as needed. and ENJOY THE RIDE.

Mercedes does some great blues! That dark blue metallic is sweet. I have the Aegean Blue which is a blue green and gets plenty of compliments.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update - I took it to the local MB dealer hoping the the Hydraulic Pump would be covered under warranty - I figured I'd get that done there, then find a shop to take care of the rest. Well, they say the pump is just fine, so it won't get replaced. They did a multipoint inspection and found just a few things, mostly minor IMO at this point - however they DID point out that the ABC needs to be rebuilt.

The provided a quote for a complete rebuild of the ABC. $23k

The did provide a full parts list and I added as many as I could to my cart at fcpeuro and it was $10k of the ones I could find. I couldnt' find a couple of the hoses they mentioned.

I did find a local shop that said over the phone they would do it for $13k so I think I know where I'm headed next.

I'll keep you posted I guess, but I've learned quite a bit in this forum so thanks for all who have contributed. Someone on reddit said I could get a nice e55 for this price - to that I replied, but then I"d have an e55.
My man, you're tripping. You're like the Stealership's favorite customer.

Do not rebuild the entire ABC system ASSUMING it needs it because a dealer needs revenue. Do only the things I suggested then take it as it goes. I've owned mine for 15 years and NEVER have I heard of someone rebuilding the entire system. It just needs new fluid, filters and accumulators.

After that, if it sags overnight you MIGHT need a new valve block ($1800 dealership, $500 rebuilt). So see where I'm going here?

One day you MIGHT pop a line, in which case hydraulic shop lines (not new MB) are a thing.

One day you might decide you want new struts. Those will cost you but Arnott sells rebuilt ones that are practically just as good. IF this was an AMG car like mine, I might say spring for OE. But it's not.

If you want to keep the car, there's a path to that. But it entails YOU telling the dealership what to do, not the other way around.

maw
The following 3 users liked this post by maw1124:
gaazmon (04-11-2024), HLG600 (04-11-2024), TxBenzIn (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:12 PM

2003 SL500 (70,000)
Originally Posted by maw1124
My man, you're tripping. You're like the Stealership's favorite customer.

Do not rebuild the entire ABC system ASSUMING it needs it because a dealer needs revenue. Do only the things I suggested then take it as it goes. I've owned mine for 15 years and NEVER have I heard of someone rebuilding the entire system. It just needs new fluid, filters and accumulators.

After that, if it sags overnight you MIGHT need a new valve block ($1800 dealership, $500 rebuilt). So see where I'm going here?

One day you MIGHT pop a line, in which case hydraulic shop lines (not new MB) are a thing.

One day you might decide you want new struts. Those will cost you but Arnott sells rebuilt ones that are practically just as good. IF this was an AMG car like mine, I might say spring for OE. But it's not.

If you want to keep the car, there's a path to that. But it entails YOU telling the dealership what to do, not the other way around.

maw
I was thinking about that when I got the quote back, my thought was - it all went bad at the same exact time?

I’m just excited to drive this thing. I need to just settle down I guess. I have saved the previous posts because I liked the gameplan that was outlined. I just don’t know enough to make the decision on what it needs when -beyond what was outlined.

Last edited by TxBenzIn; 04-10-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:28 PM

Received 189 Likes on 155 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by TripleDown
Very brave taking that to Wally world....hope you like parking lot dings :-)
I always find a far corner of the lot. Then I hug the curb. Even if someone does park on my sole unguarded side, I am so far away from the parking stripe, they would have to be berserk to do any damage. I wouldn’t put it past the Walmartians though.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I was thinking about that when I got the quote back, my thought was - it all went bad at the same exact time?

I’m just excited to drive this thing. I need to just settle down I guess. I have saved the previous posts because I liked the gameplan that was outlined. I just don’t know enough to make the decision on what it needs when -beyond what was outlined.
Good advice from @maw1124.

Most dealerships do not have much expertise on these older platforms, so the last thing I would do about that "full rebuild needed" recommendation is take it seriously.

Get some preventive maintenance done, prepare for the common points of failure and enjoy the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by HLG600:
gaazmon (04-11-2024), maw1124 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by HLG600
Good advice from @maw1124.

Most dealerships do not have much expertise on these older platforms, so the last thing I would do about that "full rebuild needed" recommendation is take it seriously.

Get some preventive maintenance done, prepare for the common points of failure and enjoy the car.
This. As the old school experience techs leave to be on their own or just retire, the newer younger techs really have little hands on experience on these things and just rely on whatever SDS says. I'd avoid the dealer and any shop that is just throwing out a wide net with a five digit estimate.

You got a lot of great advise here OP. Again, first have those accumulators replaced (Or rebuilt if possible) along with a fluid flush and filter change (You may even have the original older style filter in their still). I highly recommend rebuilding the valve blocks at the same time (Big reason being you don't have to replace them and can easily be rebuilt), but also because from my experience when my father's previous 02 CL500 we changed out the accumulators and did the fluid and filter service, the rear valve block ended up getting clogged and the car would sag after sitting for about 5-10 minutes while the vehicle was off. This is your call as you may have no issues after the first job, but you never know. The hoses are your call depending on how things look and if your pump is not spewing any fluid out or making any odd noises I wouldn't worry about it. If the struts aren't leaking then forget that as well.

Regarding hydraulic pump you mentioned, do you mean the ABC suspension pump or the SBC brake pump as the SBC brake pump does have a 25 year warranty here in the USA, but the specific damage codes have to be present when they scan the system to order a replacement under warranty.

Last edited by gaazmon; 04-11-2024 at 01:03 PM.
TxBenzIn (04-26-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 01:14 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
"I always find a far corner of the lot. Then I hug the curb. "
I usually do. notice on my pic how far out I am.

went to the grocery yesterday and parked at the outer end of the row. some SUV just had to park next to me..... no dings.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:13 PM

2003 SL500 (70,000)
I don't even know where to begin.

Between imtheking, Hlg600, merim123, MikeJ65, Tom Manning, and Maw1124 (and everyone else who chimed in) - I can't possible buy enough Beer to Repay you!

I bought this car solely because it looked cool and I wanted it - I didn't know a damn thing about it but came here almost immediately. Some of you tried talking sense into me and I listened but I'm also stubborn. It took a lot of convincing. How could some rando's on the internet possibly know more than the MB Mechanics - ahahah.

Well, The MB shop wanted $24k as I've mentioned and in the $24k quote they were NOT replacing the accumulators.

I found it for Cheaper - $13k but still no accumulators.

Well after being publicly shamed, I took your advice. I asked the shop I purchased it from if they would replace the accumulators. He sent me a link to FCP Euro and confirmed the exact parts. All 4 of them. He ordered them from them, charged me the same price as FCP and put them in for $300 Labor.

I just picked it up today. Within SECONDS of driving off, the car felt noticeably different. It was so tight. I drove the hell out of it on the way home and Not a single fault. It drives so good. I didn't think it was bad before, but WOW what a difference. I sent Maw a text and he called me - we chatted the whole way home too! - with the top down!

Thank you All - Your money is no good in Indy if you ever come this way - reach out - I owe you!

Last edited by TxBenzIn; 04-26-2024 at 05:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TxBenzIn:
gaazmon (04-29-2024), maw1124 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't even know where to begin.

Between imtheking, Hlg600, merim123, MikeJ65, Tom Manning, and Maw1124 (and everyone else who chimed in) - I can't possible buy enough Beer to Repay you!

I bought this car solely because it looked cool and I wanted it - I didn't know a damn thing about it but came here almost immediately. Some of you tried talking sense into me and I listened but I'm also stubborn. It took a lot of convincing. How could some rando's on the internet possibly know more than the MB Mechanics - ahahah.

Well, The MB shop wanted $24k as I've mentioned and in the $24k quote they were NOT replacing the accumulators.

I found it for Cheaper - $13k but still no accumulators.

Well after being publicly shamed, I took your advice. I asked the shop I purchased it from if they would replace the accumulators. He sent me a link to FCP Euro and confirmed the exact parts. All 4 of them. He ordered them from them, charged me the same price as FCP and put them in for $300 Labor.

I just picked it up today. Within SECONDS of driving off, the car felt noticeably different. It was so tight. I drove the hell out of it on the way home and Not a single fault. It drives so good. I didn't think it was bad before, but WOW what a difference. I sent Maw a text and he called me - we chatted the whole way home too! - with the top down!

Thank you All - Your money is no good in Indy if you ever come this way - reach out - I owe you!
That’s why we’re here @txbenzin… enjoy the ride!!

Maw
TxBenzIn (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'18 GLS550
Glad to hear it! Enjoy!
TxBenzIn (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:09 PM

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Glad to hear things worked out.

I don't own my R230 anymore but I stop by here from time to time to check in on the group.

Everyone here was very helpful during my ownership. We have some brilliant minds here.
TxBenzIn (04-29-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
TxBenzin, if you would have purchased my project car, a 2004 SL 500, you would have had a diarrea attack if you would have taken the car to the dealer for repairs..it would have been way over $20k.....your issues were subtle compared to mine..! I paid $4500 for the car when it had 130K miles and kept it on jacks for 2 months. the. ABC system was all screwed up, Roof didn't open, driver seat ripped, front fender/bumper cracked at the bottom, Hood clear-coat peeling in areas, bad thermostat, one small radiator hose broke, no power lock on doors, and other minor details...! But, my first chore was replacing the ABC on my own, sold the cores for $800 and bought the coilovers for $750. Purchased a sway bar in a junkyard for $25" and fabricated the links and support for under $50. Repaired the roof by adjusting trunk flaps contacts with microswitch, Repaired and painted front bumper and hood with $250 in paint and supplies, Repaired drivers seat with $20, sold ugly rims and tires for $700 and put my choice of rims and tires for $450, purchase an air pump for $25 in the junkyard and power locks were restored, replaced front wheel pads $50, and other minor repairs not adding $100, purchased the two batteries at $350, a Foxwell scanner $140. So, adding and subtracting I don't think I spend $1000 to put the car in reliable shape. The secret is DYI and use some creativity! Bottom line is I have a SL500 for under $6000 running well with no issues!
The following 3 users liked this post by elMacko:
gaazmon (04-30-2024), jbc247 (05-03-2024), TxBenzIn (04-30-2024)